How did this happen?

dennishoddy

A friend that is very gun safe, took a newb to the range yesterday, for some pistol shooting. He had loose ammo in an ammo can for his 10MM.
The newb loaded his own mags, and while shooting, my buddy said the gun went off midway through the mag with a pop like a cap gun. It didn't cycle, so he recovered the gun, and ejected the spent round.
To his suprise, it was a 9mm that had somehow got mixed into the ammo can.
It was a center strike on the primer, and the brass fireformed to a 10mm.
It happened, but I'm at a loss to explain why. Cell phone pics suck.

a4fe4111.jpg

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
looks like it got in there just right to still go off, kinda scary deal. all that explosion and not getting the gas to explode in the right direction could have been bad.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
The rim of a 9mm and a .40/10mm are real close and what happens is the extractor hold the 9mm to the slide face of the .40/10mm and the firing piin does the rest. No danger here as there is no pressure being built up by the 9mm in the oversized 40/10mm barrel. same as a .40 in a .45. Matter of fact I demo this in my pistol classes and have shot at least 100 9mm rounds in a .40 and around 30 .40s in a .45. No big deal but it should point out that you got to KNOW what your putting in your gun!

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
308's fire in 06's as well, it ejects looking a little like a rimless 4570 with a small crimp at the end.!

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
More details?

Top round of a 40 cal mag loaded with 9mm. Rest of mag loaded with 40. Mag inserted into gun. Slide worked. Extractor didn't grab the 9mm. 9mm went forward into the barrel. Click no bang, slide worked again. 40 cal round chambered. 9mm round pushed forward still in the barrel. Gun fired.

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
Top round of a 40 cal mag loaded with 9mm. Rest of mag loaded with 40. Mag inserted into gun. Slide worked. Extractor didn't grab the 9mm. 9mm went forward into the barrel. Click no bang, slide worked again. 40 cal round chambered. 9mm round pushed forward still in the barrel. Gun fired.
Have had a running argument that this could happen if everything went wrong, due to loose fit of 9mm in .40 extractor. Argument over apparently.

jimeradams

Well-Known Fanatic
I have seen a .40 fired in a Ruger .45. I still have the case, it split open and made a strange noise when fired. Neither Ruger nor shooter were damaged.

Latest posts