Hornady Lock n Load AP?

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
Who all has (or had) a Lock N Load AP? What do you like (or not like) about them?

DO NOT want this to be a 'get a Dillion' or Red vs. Blue press war thread, have read through plenty of them in researching.

Just want to know what the local group has LnL wise, and if you think it is a viable option to load with. If anyone has one in the greater OKC/Edmond area and would let me come over and look at one in person that would be cool too. Have friends with dillions I've messed with and like; just want to keep my options open.

Thanks,

Ryan

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one for a while. Honestly, I don't think I gave it a fair chance. I had it for a few years and loaded a bit on it. Came across a Dillon 550, set it up for 9 and liked it better. Then added a 650, I left the LNL setup for 300 BLK for a while. We just didn't bond like I did with the 550 and the 650. I bought another 550 and sold the LnL.

Some people swear by them. Most that own both seem to prefer the Dillon.

You don't have to look very hard to find someone that has sold a LnL to buy a Dillon. On the other hand try finding someone who sold a Dillon to buy a LnL.

I think you are doing the right thing trying to find one to do some loading on. Find what feels right for you and go for it.

bfd5d0a4f14f615257c0274289e12b07.jpg

f7162e8845445199bbd044ba445362e5.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
You don't have to look very hard to find someone that has sold a LnL to buy a Dillon. On the other hand try finding someone who sold a Dillon to buy a LnL.

I think you are doing the right thing trying to find one to do some loading on. Find what feels right for you and go for it.
I was going to say the same, I know Jason Grant had a LnL & now has a 650.

Dennis Hoddy has a LnL I believe

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I loaded a bunch of ammo on a pair of LNLs. The case feeder is pretty poorly thought out, the priming system is so so, the ejection of loaded ammo isn't 100%.

The Hornady press is 80-85% of a 650, the 650 is worth the small premium.

Moller72

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a lnl. I like it, it does the job I need it to I've loaded about 3,000 rounds since I bought this one used. My dad also has an old projector which is basically a 30 year old version of the lnl I've probably reloaded 100,000's of rounds through it growing up it just started costing more getting parts for it so found a newer one. I have never used the Dillon so I can't compare the two. On the lnl I can load about 200 rounds in an hour. I live in okc area and you can come check it out sometime if you want.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Btw, the Dillon model number is what the machines are rated at in rounds per hour.
So, basically the 650xl is a 650 (rated) round per hour machine.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
... the priming system is so so ...
They do have a Hornady Lock-N-Load 1911 Auto Primer Tube Filler

Attachments

• 714745.jpg
    714745.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 25

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have a LNL and like it quite a bit. It takes a little tweaking to get things running smoothly when setting it up, but once it gets going I can fly through the rounds pretty easily.

I've only used a 650 for a hundred or so rounds and also liked it, but I don't have enough time to say whether I think it's a better machine or not.

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Howell said:
I had one for a while. Honestly, I don't think I gave it a fair chance. I had it for a few years and loaded a bit on it. Came across a Dillon 550, set it up for 9 and liked it better. Then added a 650, I left the LNL setup for 300 BLK for a while. We just didn't bond like I did with the 550 and the 650. I bought another 550 and sold the LnL.

Some people swear by them. Most that own both seem to prefer the Dillon.

Thanks for the perspective of someone who has had them all, definitely want to try a LnL before buying anything. Those pictures make me jealous.. Nice setup.

Moller72 said:
I have a lnl. I like it, it does the job I need it to I've loaded about 3,000 rounds since I bought this one used. My dad also has an old projector which is basically a 30 year old version of the lnl I've probably reloaded 100,000's of rounds through it growing up it just started costing more getting parts for it so found a newer one. I have never used the Dillon so I can't compare the two. On the lnl I can load about 200 rounds in an hour. I live in okc area and you can come check it out sometime if you want.
That's kind of what I figure, it will do the job. Anything will be better than the little Lee I've been using at this point

mattmiller (Robusto) said:
They do have a Hornady Lock-N-Load 1911 Auto Primer Tube Filler
Think he was saying the system that delivers the primer from the tube into the press and then seats it has some issues. I have read about them and looks like there are some simple enough fixes.

Matt Rigsby said:
I have a LNL and like it quite a bit. It takes a little tweaking to get things running smoothly when setting it up, but once it gets going I can fly through the rounds pretty easily.

I've only used a 650 for a hundred or so rounds and also liked it, but I don't have enough time to say whether I think it's a better machine or not.
I don't mind doing some tweaking, rather expect to do that with whatever I get.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, really appreciate the feedback both for and against the LnL. Think the first thing to do is hit up Matt or Moller and try one out.

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a lnl with about 90k rounds through it.

I like the price point and it's pretty quick to load on with a bullet feeder.

Downsides:

The primer punch will likely need modded. I made mine seat deeper and drag less on the primer chute.

The quick change bushings sometimes are loose and means they constantly unscrew a 1/4 turn.

If you plan on any amount of volume, put a piece of hardened steel under the primer punch or else you will wear a nice divot in the casting.

The shell plate and powder drop screws come loose after 5k rounds. I'm about to loc tite mine.

The ejection part of the press is soft metal so will need deburred once a year.

That's my experience. I don't know many people that have loaded more rounds on one. I just bought a 1050 if that tells you anything :)

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
Trigger said:
I have a lnl with about 90k rounds through it.

I like the price point and it's pretty quick to load on with a bullet feeder.

Downsides:

The primer punch will likely need modded. I made mine seat deeper and drag less on the primer chute.

The quick change bushings sometimes are loose and means they constantly unscrew a 1/4 turn.

If you plan on any amount of volume, put a piece of hardened steel under the primer punch or else you will wear a nice divot in the casting.

The shell plate and powder drop screws come loose after 5k rounds. I'm about to loc tite mine.

The ejection part of the press is soft metal so will need deburred once a year.

That's my experience. I don't know many people that have loaded more rounds on one. I just bought a 1050 if that tells you anything :)
90k is a lot, definitely means you know you way around a lnl; were you overall pleased with it despite the tweaks/quirks? If you decide to sell yours now that you have the 1050 let me know. There's no arguing a 1050 can outproduce a lnl, but for where I am at now money and round count needed its more press than I need. Figure the lnl will get me through a couple years than up grade to a 1050 in the future.

Bought a lnl when they first came out. Kept it for a couple months broke a bunch of stuff, sold it. Love the 650's. When you spread it out over 5, 7 years, the cost is negligible. Probably negligible over a couple years even.
Bottom line, no one says the lnl is better than the 650. No one.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I lave a LnL, would love to get rid of it and get a Dillon. It's finicky to set up and the priming system isn't 100%, so I now hand prime all my brass (I have that time at work, so it doesn't add anything to time at the bench). I don't have a case or bullet feeder, so I can't speak intelligently on those. Once I got it set up, pistol rounds are a breeze considering I manually feed bullets and brass. I'm just getting set up for rifle, so I don't know how consistent the case activated powder measure is with rifle powder, but it's been good with the pistol powders I've used.

LnL is better than the 650.

dennishoddy

I have the LNL. It's the basic unit without a bullet or case feeder. The ONLY problem I've ever had with is the primer feed guide rod bent because of operator error, no fault of the machine.
Called Hornady to order one along with some springs, etc to have on hand "just in case"
The lady jokingly said it sounded like a issue that Hornady needed to fix, and sent me all the parts free including shipping.
Those parts have been on the pegboard now for three years unused.
As far as the quick change bushings backing off, I experienced that once. Now when putting them in, a light bump with a wrench secures them and fixes that issue.
I can change calibers in a minute or so, leaving only the powder dispenser to be calibrated that takes about 10 minutes to fine tune.
I load 12 different calibers between pistol and rifle. The quick change feature is really nice.
That's my experience, and for the record, I've never loaded or been around a 650, so I can offer no comparison.
If you make it to Ponca again without having the chance to see one in use, your welcome to come try mine.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Ryan Groves said:
90k is a lot, definitely means you know you way around a lnl; were you overall pleased with it despite the tweaks/quirks? If you decide to sell yours now that you have the 1050 let me know. There's no arguing a 1050 can outproduce a lnl, but for where I am at now money and round count needed its more press than I need. Figure the lnl will get me through a couple years than up grade to a 1050 in the future.
You might take a serious look at a 550 if you are not intending on getting a case feeder. I think the lack of an auto-index is too often stated as a negative with the 550. I think it can be a plus during setup and load development. I still use my 550 for small batches of anything under 250 rounds so I can leave my 650 setup for my primary 9mm loader. After 200-250 rounds the extra time to change/setup my 650 starts paying off. It takes almost 0 time to thumb the index wheel on the 550 as you place a bullet in the case.

I put the LnL in competition with the 550. I had 2 550s when I sold the LnL to fund more conversions for my 650. I haven't regretted selling it. I later sold one of my 550s to a friend. I have regretting selling it. (It was nice to have a small and large primer 550 ready to go) I've been considering adding another 650 or a 1050 to the bench.

Another thing to consider. Look at used prices. A LnL will not retain the % of value in the used market that the Dillion will. The Dillon deals show up on occasion but you have to be ready to jump on them very quickly. I have bought 4 in the last year. I would have bought Cobb's yesterday had I saw it in time. ;)

Ryan Groves

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I have the LNL. It's the basic unit without a bullet or case feeder. The ONLY problem I've ever had with is the primer feed guide rod bent because of operator error, no fault of the machine.
Called Hornady to order one along with some springs, etc to have on hand "just in case"
The lady jokingly said it sounded like a issue that Hornady needed to fix, and sent me all the parts free including shipping.
Those parts have been on the pegboard now for three years unused.
As far as the quick change bushings backing off, I experienced that once. Now when putting them in, a light bump with a wrench secures them and fixes that issue.
I can change calibers in a minute or so, leaving only the powder dispenser to be calibrated that takes about 10 minutes to fine tune.
I load 12 different calibers between pistol and rifle. The quick change feature is really nice.
That's my experience, and for the record, I've never loaded or been around a 650, so I can offer no comparison.
If you make it to Ponca again without having the chance to see one in use, your welcome to come try mine.
Good to hear the positive feedback on press and customer service, sounds like you use it extensively with a lot of calibers and minimal issues. I'll take you up on a test run if I don't make it to someone down here.

Rick Howell said:
You might take a serious look at a 550 if you are not intending on getting a case feeder. I think the lack of an auto-index is too often stated as a negative with the 550. I think it can be a plus during setup and load development. I still use my 550 for small batches of anything under 250 rounds so I can leave my 650 setup for my primary 9mm loader. After 200-250 rounds the extra time to change/setup my 650 starts paying off. It takes almost 0 time to thumb the index wheel on the 550 as you place a bullet in the case.

I put the LnL in competition with the 550. I had 2 550s when I sold the LnL to fund more conversions for my 650. I haven't regretted selling it. I later sold one of my 550s to a friend. I have regretting selling it. (It was nice to have a small and large primer 550 ready to go) I've been considering adding another 650 or a 1050 to the bench.

Another thing to consider. Look at used prices. A LnL will not retain the % of value in the used market that the Dillion will. The Dillon deals show up on occasion but you have to be ready to jump on them very quickly. I have bought 4 in the last year. I would have bought Cobb's yesterday had I saw it in time. :wink:
Wouldn't get a casefeeder right off the bat unless a good used deal came up. A 550 is a consideration, manual index wouldn't be a big deal but I like the 5th die option on the 650/LnL for a powder check option.

I saw Cobb's the minute he posted it and was talking to him about it, but I took too long to make up my mind before someone else took it... Not happy about my hesitancy to say the least...

Bryan Hoover

Cobb gave a good deal on the 650. You should buy a 650. You could have have bought Josh's 650. That was a good deal. I would have bought Josh's 650. Josh had a good deal on that 650. I thought you got that 650. Too bad you didn't buy Josh's 650. Josh had a good deal on a 650.

Latest posts