Holster bewilderment for CCW

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Now that I have my CCW permit, I have been looking at holsters on line to carry my Colt Cobra and Browining Hi-Power. I also have the 5" 1911 but I am not sure I want to carry that heavy weapon.

I am bewildered at the number and types of holsters available. Everyone seems to have their favourite.

How can I get some personal help in helping to decide on a holster and fitting it? Else it seems like I could be in for a long and expensive trial and error project.

Thanks friends,

Kevin

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am bewildered at the number and types of holsters available.

You are quickly learning one of the joys of carrying.......HOLSTERS! The gun is the easy part. That is one reason I don't change guns very often because then you have to start looking for a holster. A holster that you like for one gun, doesn't work for another. It is frustrating

Talk to David Elderton [Kytac].

Good advice, if you choose kydex. Some people just don't get along with kydex

the 5'' 1911, with a proper holster and clothing, is actually a joy to carry.

This sounds weird but IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. The 4" and 5" 1911's are some of the best carrying guns out there. No one can really explain it but its true. My 4" Kimber carries better than any of my smaller guns.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
You are right about the trial and error. I have quite a few laying around that didn't make the cut. But I gave the Looper Leather Hybrid a try. It is the most comfortable way that I have ever carried my 1911. But like you say, everyone has their opinion as to what is best.

Good luck.

TroyF

TheBearcat
If I've learned anything from carrying a gun for a living for the past 14 years, it's that the holster is one part of a carry system. In my mind the most critical component of a carry system is the belt. You need a sturdy belt. You could have the greatest holster in the world, but it will feel like a pile of poo, if your belt sucks.

I like Looper belts and Wilderness belts. I own two of each. Put simply, the Looper belts are leather and the Wilderness are nylon. I choose my belt based on what my couture is for the day. If you can only have one belt, go with a black Looper. You can change out the buckle and go from business to casual that way.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
In my mind the most critical component of a carry system is the belt. You need a sturdy belt. You could have the greatest holster in the world, but it will feel like a pile of poo, if your belt sucks.

If you can only have one belt, go with a black Looper. You can change out the buckle and go from business to casual that way.

Great point Troy. I carried for about a year before I bought a dedicated "gun" belt and it changed everything, comfort, sturdiness, reliability. The Looper belt will feel like a steel band wrapped around your waist at first, but that is what it is supposed to feel like.

Looper=Made in Oklahoma

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
the 5'' 1911, with a proper holster and clothing, is actually a joy to carry.

I would consider carrying the 1911. I would prefer it to the Hi Power becasue I have shot it most and know it. Problem, it is my USPSA gun, has extended mag well and target sights. I would have to remove the mag well and put in the original magazines evertime I wanted to carry it, or vice-versa when going to shoot a match. But that might not be very much work to do. Just punch a pin and remove the mag well and put in a magazine that does not have the big-bumper on the bottom.

Someone is going to write "get a second 1911 for carry." I would love too, but with my recent purchase of the Hi Power, I have a mandate of no new gun purchases from the present administration. It's not in this Fiscal years budget. Cuts have to be made.

Tally Ho

Kevin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS Thanks to everyone's advice and support!

PSS I wonder if I will have monday off? If so I guess I'll go turkey hunting.

Yours in Civil Service,

Dr. Ento.

Rick Means

Active Fanatic
The Crossbreed supertuck is very comfortable. I have one in 1911 and it is good even with a 5" government in it. I was wondering if Troy Fulbright could come up with a similar design. They sure work well. Get the horsehide model.

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
I also have a Colt 1911 Government model and it's easy to carry concealed in my Crossbreed Supertuck. I like the Crossbreed in the cooler weather but prefer my smaller JBP holster in hot weather.

upnover

Active Fanatic
i carry my 1911s in UBG Canute iwb holsters, i can conceal a 5" in a short sleeve t shirt with no issues, the canute seems to set the gun deeper in the holster for a little more control of the magazine/grip area as well.