Hogdon plant fire.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I read about that awhile back. I think it was about a year ago and they said not to expect to see Clays until after the first of the year. I guess they should have specified which year they were talking about.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually I think I heard that it was later in 2014. It supposedly affected the entire Clays line and the plant didn't blow up or burn down, just the equipment for all the various Clays powders.

If you can find AS30N by chance, it's the same exact thing. Also Alliant Clay Dot is formulated to be an identical replacement if you can find that.

dennishoddy

I've been doing a little checking around. It seems this may be an internet rumor. This has been on the Hodgen web site for a year.

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components â€" including all Hodgdon powders â€" are hard to find. Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into our backlog.

This is an email from Chris Hodgdon that I stole from another web site:

From: oregunner Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:35 PM To: Chris Hodgdon Subject: Fire

Chris, You are being quoted on Trapshooters.com as confirming that shotgun powder production has ceased until the first of next year, according to a phone conversation you apparently had with a poster named 7mag. I talked to Mike at your business and he said there had been no fire at any of your plants and that production was in full swing. Could you please confirm or deny these reports? Thanks, Mark (oregunner)

Mark

I think the best thing to say right now is that the truth is that we’ve shipped more powder in 2013 than ever in our 66 year history. We are shipping hundreds of thousands of pounds of powder every month, 75% more than last year with no end in sight. We’ve shipped tons of Clays powders and will be shipping more. All powders are in short supply no matter what it is.

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I've been doing a little checking around. It seems this may be an internet rumor. This has been on the Hodgen web site for a year.

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components â€" including all Hodgdon powders â€" are hard to find. Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into our backlog.

This is an email from Chris Hodgdon that I stole from another web site:

From: oregunner Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:35 PM To: Chris Hodgdon Subject: Fire

Chris, You are being quoted on Trapshooters.com as confirming that shotgun powder production has ceased until the first of next year, according to a phone conversation you apparently had with a poster named 7mag. I talked to Mike at your business and he said there had been no fire at any of your plants and that production was in full swing. Could you please confirm or deny these reports? Thanks, Mark (oregunner)

Mark

I think the best thing to say right now is that the truth is that we’ve shipped more powder in 2013 than ever in our 66 year history. We are shipping hundreds of thousands of pounds of powder every month, 75% more than last year with no end in sight. We’ve shipped tons of Clays powders and will be shipping more. All powders are in short supply no matter what it is.
Save this so you can post it again in 3 months when the OMG the Clay plant burned to the ground rumor starts up again.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
One of ICORE folks talked to the ICORE folks in Australia. They were unaware of any fire and their clays was readily available. I suspect its going to factory ammo production. Can't wait for this crap to blow over.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
ChrisC said:
One of ICORE folks talked to the ICORE folks in Australia. They were unaware of any fire and their clays was readily available. I suspect its going to factory ammo production. Can't wait for this crap to blow over. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Personally I think thats where all powders are going. Or that they are just running the powders used in factory ammo. I've posted before that it's time for them to increase capacity, this administration has been a godsend to them.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I got my info from my lgs. Generally a reliable source of info. But I guess anyone could get hoodwinked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Latest posts