Hog versus Dux:

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
There was some discussion on how to find places to hunt hogs, preferably without having to pay to do it. I have been successful in finding many hunting places that I have not had to pay. People have asked me how I find these places.

Simply put, I talk to just about everyone I meet about hunting. I invite people to go hunting with me and they often will return the favor.

This young boar was taken in Stevens Co. He weighed ca. 80-90 lbs. Taken with .375 250 gr Sierra Game King, out of Ruger M77 Magnum.

Table faire has been excellent.

Tally ho

Kevin

33212729431857890923.jpg

dennishoddy

Pretty much what I do, talk, talk, and talk some more. I don't care if its a perfect stranger, and I'm in line at the feed store. Make an innocent comment about how nice the weather is, and a man really needs to be outdoors shooting some of those pesky hogs/deer, whatever, and every so often you hit a home run. :D
Nice meat hog you have there. I see you have a MCcroskey knife on your hip too. We have the same taste in cold steel.

imacgyver

Founding Member
I like these ideas, but I'm very concerned with safety and would feel more confident after getting to know them on the range. One of my friends - great guy, but very bull-headed when it comes to safety and blatant disregard to being aware of his surrounds - transfers to COD as well. He will usually take a friendly out in is sight line when an enemy shows up. I hold up and try to get out of a direct line, so that a single wont take both of us out, but out hunting, if a trophy shows up in our paths, I am not sure if I would trust him to not pull the trigger with me in is line.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I see you have a MCcroskey knife on your hip too. We have the same taste in cold steel.

You have a very keen eye. I love my knife. Dave does a great job and sells them for far less than he could. And they do stay sharp!

Dave is also a hoot. If you take knives to have him sharpen, better block out a bit of time. He has more stories than Kipling I think.

K

dennishoddy

Dave is also a hoot. If you take knives to have him sharpen, better block out a bit of time. He has more stories than Kipling I think.

K

Yes he does. Took me two hours to get away the first time. Not that I wanted to, but had other appointments to make. :D

higgimw

NOW...NOW... I want it NOW!!!
Nice looking pig. I'll bet he ate good. When I was at Oklahoma State I lived out at Lake Carl Blackwell. People always said there were pigs out that way but I never saw any.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I lived in Stillwater for a few years while attending school and never saw nor heard of anyone seeing hogs. Not that they weren't there, but that they weren't common to see.

dennishoddy

Sunshine Shooter said:
I lived in Stillwater for a few years while attending school and never saw nor heard of anyone seeing hogs. Not that they weren't there, but that they weren't common to see.
Mostly Nocturnal creatures. They are rarely seen in daytime unless one has a feeder set up to attract them or a rancher is putting out feed for the cows and doesn't stay around to make sure the cows are the only ones eating it.