hog hunt

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright guys, I have decided that this week while I am on vacation I am going to do something that I have always wanted to do. I am going hog hunting. I was hoping some of yall could give me a few tips or advice. I have to tell you that the only hunt I have ever been on was shooting dove so I am a complete novice when It comes to all this. My plan was just to get to canton lake about 5:30 thursday morning and try to find a place to start walking. Will Jeans and a camo shirt suffice? or do I need to get all gussied up and look the part. Also, I was just gonna bring the AR and a 357....will that be okay too? I keep hounding my brother in laws to go but they are more than wishy washy on all this. I keep reading that I need to walk the river but to be honest it has been 10 years since I have even fished canton much less walked the hunting grounds.

Oh yeah and if any one wants to join me to show me a few things you are more than welcome to join

Thanks,

Terrell

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the river comes in on the north west side of the lake and it's probably just low enough to walk down with some rubber boots on . Go around the north side of the lake and just as you pass the lake there is a parking area park there walk straight south you'll run into the river and it should be pretty dry except for a few spots I've shot a couple out of there . Look for muddy rub marks around the trunks of trees and mud holes. Mmark your spot when you get in the river. then again it may not have any water therefor you won't have much luck.

dennishoddy

hunt the wind , their best defense is their nose..........
Yup!
they can't see well at all. I've stalked within 30 yds of them looking for an opening in the brush with the bow. Their hearing is pretty good too, and if they hear something like a limb snap, they are gone. No looking around, nothing, gone.

dennishoddy

I don't know why, but if I have trouble using copy and paste from photobucket, I'll use copy for the IMG and then Contol V to paste it to the forum. It won't accept the paste, but will do the CV.

BTW, this is a pic from my front yard.

P2270178.jpg

dennishoddy

Way to go getting the family involved!
Good to see you getting the pigs out of there. Do you just shoot them, or do trapping as well?
We are fortunate that we have no hogs in our immediate hunting area. They are in the county, but not in our area.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
cool video and thanks for the response guys. I ended up going yesterday. One of my BILs came by the house about 4:30 in the morning and wanted to know if I still wanted to go hog hunting, so we went. We didn't have any luck but saw where we should have started later in the morning. Now my other BIL is jealous and we are going again on Thursday morning and even getting the wife to go it sounds like. maybe we will get one this time.

On another note the other hunt wasn't a total loss. I did get to drop a charging ferocious armadillo.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
got a chance to go out and give it another try this morning. Got to say I had a little better luck this time.

TerrellsPig.jpg

Latest posts