Hightower Armory 10/22 bullpup stock

soonerfan

Fanatic
View attachment 5467

Hightower armory

My boys and I really enjoy shooting 22's at our dueling tree. We have a S&W M&P 15-22 and a Ruger 10-22, and I wanted to spice up the fun. So I purchased the bullpup stock. The price of the stock was $239, and I also had some triggerwork done on the stock trigger for about $35. Here are my impressions:

• Build quality - It is a quality polymer, similar to a magpul magazine, and it is pretty heavy. The stock weighs about 3.5 pounds plus the weight of the 10/22. My 7 year old (who is pretty big for his age) cannot hold it by himself. There is some flashing from the manufacturing process that can be lightly sanded for a better look. The parts fit together very well.
  • Assembly - easy and straight-forward if you read the instruction manual.
  • Trigger - Here's where you'll probably want to invest some time and make some decisions. Since it is a bullpup, there is a trigger bar and an additional spring which will increase the pull weight of your trigger. I sent my stock trigger to brimstone gunsmithing and had the pull weight reduced to about 3lbs. Also, I added a nylon bushing, see pic below, to remove the take-up from the trigger. (I copied that idea from another person, so I take no credit for that.) The manual states that altering the stock Ruger trigger or the trigger parts on the stock could make the rifle more dangerous. I also used some silicone spray on the trigger bar to make it as smooth and frictionless as possible.
  • View attachment 5466View attachment 5465View attachment 5464
  • Safety - Excellent! There is a Glock style trigger, along with a P90 style trigger, and it also uses the original 10/22 safety. I think that the original 10/22 safety and the Glock style trigger safety would be sufficient. Just my 2 cents.
  • Optic rail - It is attached to the left side of the stock and you can disassemble the stock while leaving the optic attached.
  • You will want an extended magazine release since the mag well is so deep. Drum and oval-style magazines will not fit into the stock.
  • High-Tower armory seems to have excellent customer service. Andy will probably reply to your email within 12 hours.
  • Cleaning - You'll want a boresnake. The downside is you'll have to unscrew a dozen screws, of which there are several different lengths, to access the bolt for cleaning.
  • Faux suppressor - It comes with a plastic faux suppressor.
  • Shooting - Since the bullpup's weight is substantial, muzzle rise is virtually non-existent. Therefore you can rapidly fire from one target to the next. We shot some lower quality ammo and some of us received a little hot gunpowder residue onto our right forearm. Our 10-year old thought he'd been stung by a bee at first.
  • Ergonomics - It's a little awkward until you get used to it. It has approx a 2 inch longer length of pull than an actual P90.
  • Final thought - The bullpup stock is a really fun range toy. Some of my purchases are based on keeping my boys interested in the shooting sports. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Attachments

• bushing installed.jpg
    bushing installed.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
  • bushing2.jpg
    bushing2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 42
  • bushing.jpg
    bushing.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 42
  • HTA9022ODG--2.jpg
    HTA9022ODG--2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 42

Brandi

Well-Known Fanatic
That's pretty cool, its amazing what you can do with a 10/22. My current new favorite .22's are my M&P15-22 Talo and my HK MP5 SD. If you want to put the hurt fast on a dueling tree that HK MP5 is your huckleberry, holy frijoles that thing is stupid accurate. So accurate it very much took me by surprise so I did some looking and from what I read they get their excellent accuracy from their Lothar Walther barrels. I can't say that's a fact but if its true I wouldn't be surprised. The only downfall is the weight but that's just because its built so, so, so much better than the GSG clones.

I'm so jealous you have a dueling tree! LOL, your 10/22 looks awesome!