Hexmag AR magazines | Why?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Has anyone used a Hexmag? Are they any better than Magpul. All of my magazines are Magpul and they have always worked. I just wondered why someone thought they needed to re-invent the wheel (magazine). Kind of like the Magpul Glock magazines. Why?

I'm not being facetious, I just wanted to know if they are any better than what +90% of the shooters are using

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Havent ever used one but the Hexmag guys did an interview for the 3gunShow last week, and the gist of it was that they had a fallout with Magpul and thought AR magazines were an ideal accessory to enter the market with, and the Hexmag is supposed to be better looking or something.

Personally I dont care how ugly magazines are and my PMAGs have always worked for me.

But I will give it to Hexmag, they are marketing the crap out of their magazines.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I have a few and they are about the same as Magpul. The only thing I notice is that they don't load as easy as my pmags. I seem to get the tip of the 55 grain round on the feed lip several times while using the MagLula. And that issue might only be because of the MagLula loader.

Function wise, they work just as well. Haven't seen any extended base pads or other crap yet for them.

45recoil

likes to party
I thought springer precision had some ext basepads made for them. Could be wrong. Got one of their mags earlier this year and have run it at matches. Works fine. They feel a bit more brittle than magpul, could be the different plastic used.

They do look cooler than magpuls. But thats about as far as it goes.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I know a couple of guys that use them mainly so they can tell their mags from everyone else since everyone seems to be using PMags. That's one of the reasons I use MagPul EMags. That and the compatibility with other weapons platforms.

Do the Hexmags work with the SA80's, SCAR's, etc?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It's what people do with their guns while folks like you & me are out shooting ours.

Cole1787

Fanatic
My only argument for the Magpul Glock mags is I bought 2 the other day and paid almost the same as a single Glock brand mag...I'll let you know how well the do/don't work.

Steve Moneypenny

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, sure put all your eggs in one basket until the basket upsets, then your stuck witho however many they can make. That was one huge problem in the last scare, they got gobbled up quickly. All mags break. these are just supposed to break less... they are a replacable item, no since in tring to pretend they are permanent, you shoot enough, or are rough enough and you'll break them.

Latest posts