help with a 400 yard 308 load for deer

upnover

Active Fanatic
i am looking for a load for my 308 that will have minimum drop out to 400 yards i know it will be a litle over 21+ inches. hoping to find a 3000 fps load for deer hunting i am leaning towards a 150 grain bullet. i have checked my reloading books but they show the most basic powders, any suggestions would be appreciated. the rifle is a savage bolt gun with a 26" fluted bull barrel.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
To get the velocities you are after, I'm guessing you are going to have to drop below a 150 gr bullet. Probably down to a 125 gr bullet. I have no load data for anything that light. I've always used a 175 gr Berger VLD with Varget or RE-15 and it only runs about 2,650 FPS, but with a range finder I just make the elevation adjustment.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Or skip it into the target.

Dead is dead. Never mind how the bullet got there. The individual with the range finder seemed to leave it in the truck. It was of great use there. Glad we had it within a 1/4 mile radius of us.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I got stupid once and had some 155gr SMK's running 2950fps from a 26" 1-14 twist barrel and I had to think about it everytime I pulled the trigger if this was gonna be the one! I loaded up some 125 NBT's and got to 3K but truth the 175 SMK is a "S" load better, I've not broken 500 yet but 497 and 493 and dude those deer FLOPPED! funny when they don't expect it they drop like a rock. Not bashin' you or anything but can you hit the vitals EVERYTIME at 400 yards?

I set out those orange survey flags every 50 yards so I would know the range, the deer don't pay attention to them at all and you'll have more time than you think to take the shot at that range. Take your time and do the right thing and make an awesome shot, if your iffy about it let them walk and wait on one that you are comfortable with. I built a 284 Win throated long on a long action for out West deer hunting so I could have some ooopsie on the range factor built in.

Getting what your looking for out of the 308 is gonna be difficult! the heavy bullets might start out slow but they don't slow down as fast just remember that when your looking for a load. Later,

Kirk

Feegee

The Magic Man
I have a box of Winchester 110 gr 308 loads I don't know the fps but you might want to check them out.

(null)

upnover

Active Fanatic
i have a box of hornady TAP that have 110 grain bullets. yes if i come up with a good load i would be comfortable htiting the vitals @ 400 yards, if not i would pass on the shot. i use a range finder to take the guesswork out of it. guess i need to do some more research, thanks guys for all of the info!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
The 308 is not known for flat trajectory BUT if you know your range I'd opt for the 175gr bullets. When they get to the target you know it and if your using a rangefinder dude your golden if you have your dopes just have to worry about the wind. Good luck to ya. Later,

Kirk

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
it all depends on what distance you're zeroing, if you run a 300yard zero then the drop to 400 isn't nearly as bad as if you had run a 250 yard zero.

I just got back from a hunt with my 308, and ran a 300 zero on it, and tested groups out to 550 with it before I left. hitting and compensating for drop were easy to accomplish. I was running Hornady Amax 150gr at 2750fps, from a 20" barrel.

Trapr

Eric long

Fanatic
You can find a load for the Nosler 125 Ballistic Tips using Winchester powder, I believe it was 748 that will hit 3000 or a little more IIRC. It will be fairly flat shooting, especially, if as Trapr said, you zero at three hundred. As mentioned, wind and other things can play havoc on a long shot and you need to be up to it.

dennishoddy

Its suprising how the wind effects the bullet.
According to my data, a .55 grain .223 running at 3150, will drift at 8.6" at 300 yds with a 10mph wind at 90 degrees.
With a 20mph wind at the same angle, its 24.5 inches.

Latest posts