Help me understand......"mini 1911"?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
So here is my dilemma, I saw a post where a member listed a holster as a "mini 1911"

So here's the pickle. How is a Sig 938 considered a "mini 1911"?

What am I missing? Ive seen several people do this. A 938 is as close to a 1911 as a VW Beetle is to a big block Chevelle

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Who knows ? I see a few things on these forums and wonder " what is this guy thinking ?. This happens every so often when I see asking prices on some items I think are extremely high . I just scroll on , don't crap on someone's thread . Figure maybe there's something special I just don't get .

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
I pack a p938 sometimes. I shoot it better than other little guns and the controls are what I'm used to. All I have to do is pull the trigger and it's blatantly obvious that it's not a 1911.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Pistol Annie has a 938 and a 238. I refer to them as 1911-style pistols - with an outward resemblance but little else.

Even these two guns are different from each other. While you can use the same holster for both, the fit is sub-optimal.

The guns look like little 1911s, there are even parts inside that look like 1911 parts. But very, very few 1911 components can actually be used. For example:

Annie's 938 had a magazine release spring made for the Incredible Hulk or Andre the Giant or someone. She took it to a "gunsmith" at the local gun club.

He told her he couldn't do anything about it, and that she should put in an extended mag release (just like you might do in a 1911.)

Well, there aren't any extended mag releases for the little Sigs. So a couple of weeks ago I took it apart. Most of the action components look nothing like a 1911. But the mag release does look like a 1911 part, except the dimensions are different and incompatible even though the design and function are the same.

And, it turns out, can use a normal 1911 mag release spring if you shorten them a bit So I found an old one, cut a couple of coils off it and put it back together.

It was much better, a good deal lighter than the original (yet still plenty strong to secure magazines) and she can now drop magazines without using both hands.

But the little P-series Sigs are definitely not mini-1911s. Springfield's EMPs are mini-1911s.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a colt mustang 380 which is a very mini 1911 style pistol. nice carry.

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry my 938 every day. The MOA is so much like the 1911's I shoot in competition that I have no worries about operating it in a stress situation. I've even shot it in a few matches. However, it's not a 1911 or even a mini 1911. Nothing internal remotely resembles a 1911. That goes for the Colt Mustang, (the original) and all the clones like the Sig and Kimber and now the SA 911. My 938 has had a "workover" by Evolution Armory and that and the Galloway flat trigger makes it "feel" like a mini 1911.

Don

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, I'm sorry for the mini 1911. Wow.... didn't know we are so sensitive....lol. I apologize... that is my 938 and I love it as much as I do my Officers model, my commander, and all my full size. The thread was for the holster not the firearm.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, I'm sorry for the mini 1911. Wow.... didn't know we are so sensitive....lol. I apologize... that is my 938 and I love it as much as I do my Officers model, my commander, and all my full size. The thread was for the holster not the firearm.

Knock the chip off your shoulder Don

What makes you think the topic is about you? Who the fawk is sensitive? A forum is for discussion, not to feed your petty low self esteem. Get over it Don.

Don

Well-Known Fanatic
Knock the chip off your shoulder Don

What makes you think the topic is about you? Who the fawk is sensitive? A forum is for discussion, not to feed your petty low self esteem. Get over it Don. Trust me Bender, I am over it. I replied that way as a joke. That was my original post and this is the second time you have done this. I don't have any chips and wear sleeveless shirts, so I don't wear my feelings on them either. We years in Law Enforcement was a pretty good teacher about not wearing your feelings on your sleeves.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok......doesn't seem much like it. But, whatever, if I was bustin your balls, you would definitely know it.

I believe the time you are speaking of is when I called you out for peddling your holsters without even so much as an introduction to the forum. If you are going to mention previous interactions, I believe context is important.

Don

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok......doesn't seem much like it. But, whatever, if I was bustin your balls, you would definitely know it.

I believe the time you are speaking of is when I called you out for peddling your holsters without even so much as an introduction to the forum. If you are going to mention previous interactions, I believe context is important.
Bender, I really don't want to do this again, the situation that mentioned was the discussion on holster manufacturers. But, with that being said, this a forum and people will say things that people disagree with. That's okay, let's just part friends and move on. Thank you.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic

Wish you'd quit soft pedaling and get to the point . LOL

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Some people fail to realize that when a thread is created about something someone said, it may not be an attack on that individual. Could a term or phrase used actually trigger a thread about the shift in ideology? Why must someone be do insecure that he/she feels threatened or attacked?

Last edited:

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
I get that, except for the infernal exterior extractor! As I stated earlier, I carry a p938 more often than not right now as I'm waiting on a permit update, a gun at the spa, and it's over 90 freakin degrees here in April. Argh! I am happy with the gun and like that the controls are familiar to me. Even after sending it to the Rob Burke for some warranty work and a tune up, this little heater is nowhere near a 1911 of any size. The trigger is hinged for Christ's sake. Plus, the girls don't like "mini."