Help me out with Gear and Sources, Please.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I've introduced a new shooter to USPSA and 3 gun, and he asked me to give him a list of what he needs to compete. Apparently he's done using my loaner stuff. The list I've come up with so far is belt with liner, holster, one rifle mag pouch, minimum of four pistol mag pouches (He plans to shoot Production sometimes), and shotshell caddies. I've steered him away from the ELS system and toward the Tek Lok, but I don't know enough about the TMMS system to give him an informed opinion on that. As far as caddies, he plans to practice deuces and/or quads, so I've talked mostly about the IP 2.8 and the Taccom Double and Triple Deuce. I know AP Custom is good gear, but it is a bit pricey. Ultimately, I'll tell him to try out the various brands of caddies to see what he likes the most instead of going with what I prefer there.

I know we have multiple vendors of the same type of gear as sponsors on this site, so I'm looking for the best deals on quality equipment possible, whether that be promo codes, new customer discounts, former military discount (He was a combat engineer and deployed to Afghanistan. I know most discounts are for active or retired, but never hurts to ask.), or even "Ah Hell, he seems like a good kid" discounts.

If any of you folks have time, I'd appreciate ideas on brands and sources so I can give him a list fairly soon. He's ready to drop some cash and wants to start training at my house and our local range.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm happy to see you put Blade Tech gear as that's the brand I was thinking also. I'm personally heavily invested in ELS gear, but I consider it wasted money from a modularity standpoint. It works well, but there's no quick change once those brackets are mounted. It could be viewed as good since it provides a consistent mounting position and I have had no issues with reliability or durability, but Blade Tech gear would have done just as well, if not better, with less initial investment. That's a great list you have compiled. Thank you much.

Eric Boyd

Fanatic
I'm cheap. My belt is a Condor web belt that can be found for $10-15 on ebay, my rifle pouches are Voodoo Tactical, and run about $10 each (I run a RRA 308, so I have to use the milspec style). My holster is a Hogue that I got from Henry's for $45--Hogue doesn't have a huge selection, but for a 1911 they have some good ones. I use a milspec style 3 mag pistol pouch that was $15 on ebay. The milspec stuff has the MOLLE webing straps and what not for vests, but can be made to work on belts (a little velcro on the inside of the MOLLE strap will keep it place on the belt).

My shotsell caddies I just ordered (honestly just ordered on the 4th) from Safariland directly--they're the 6-roun belt clip style, cost $30 each but with free shipping. Got tired of hearing all the online retailers telling me those were "backordered" when Safariland said they had hundreds in stock... Don't know how good they are/how well they will work, but we shall find out during this months comp.

If running standard 223, ITW Fast Mag pouches are nice--wife uses one, and she has no problems with it. I got hers from Midway for $30--just avoid the ones on ebay like the plague. They are NOT genuine, and are nothing but cheap copies--a buddy got one of them, and it won't work even with steel AR mags... For the wife though, she has a Safariland straight pull holster on a 2" drop which seems to be working well for her. The holster is only $29-35 depending on where you buy. I think we got it on sale for $25 from Midway. For her belt, got her a Bianchi, but they run a bit small as it turns out--go the next size up if you get one of them.

Like I said, I'm cheap--wanted to get the basic gear without empting the bank. Especially on start up as if I do choose to improve the gear I won't have a whole lot invested in something that I'm just not too fond of or doesn't work well for me...

Latest posts