Help me find a place to move

Aggieddad02

Well-Known Fanatic
Damn Burk, based on your research on this matter, you must have a lot of free time. You almost have me convinced to move to OK except deer season only has a 2 week gun season :(

dennishoddy

......and if that isn't enough:
  • The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City, on July 16, 1935. Carl C. Magee, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is generally credited with originating the parking meter. He filed for a patent for a "coin controlled parking meter" on May 13, 1935.
  • Hans Gruner, owner of a machine shop in Ponca City invented the turn signal for cars
  • The Amateur Softball Association of America - a volunteer-driven, not-for-profit organization based in Oklahoma City, OK - was founded in 1933 and has evolved into the strongest softball organization in the country.
  • Anadarko is home to the only authentic Indian City in the United States. It is located in the beautiful Washita river valley in southwest Oklahoma.
  • Okmulgee owns the world record for largest pecan pie, pecan cookie, pecan brownie, and biggest ice cream and cookie party. Each June, Okmulgee rolls out the welcome mat to thousands of its closest friends as the annual Pecan Festival comes to town.
  • The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is located in Oklahoma City.
  • The town of Beaver claims to be the Cow Chip Throwing Capital of the World. It is here that the World Championship Cow Chip Throw is held each April.
  • An Oklahoman, Sylvan Goldman, invented the first shopping cart.
  • Known as the Antique Capital of Oklahoma, Jenks is home to the state's best variety of: Antique Stores, Gift Shops, Galleries, Museums, Crafters Malls, and Collectible Retailers.
  • Originally Indian Territory, the state of Oklahoma was opened to settlers in a "Land Rush" in 1889. On a given date, prospective settlers would be allowed into the territory to claim plots of land by grabbing the stakes marking each plot. A few of these settlers entered to claim land before the official start of the land run; these cheaters were called "Sooners".
  • Bob Dunn a musician from Beggs invented the first electric guitar 1935.
  • Garth Brooks was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He grew up in Yukon, Oklahoma.
  • WKY Radio was the first radio station transmitting from west of the Mississippi River.
  • Belle Starr one of the most famous women outlaws is buried in an isolated grave southwest of Porum, Oklahoma near the Eufuala Dam.
  • The Belle Starr Cave where she hid out from posse's is NE of Ponca City on private property adjacent to Kaw Lake.
  • In Gurhrie nearly 20,000 lighters and "fire starters" are displayed at the National Lighter Museum. The nation's only museum devoted to the collection of lighters.
  • Oklahoma was the setting for the movie "Twister".
  • Twister was filmed in Osage, and Grant counties. Film companies used my driveway for staging, and a scene that got cut.
  • Oklahoma is bordered by six states: Texas to the south and west, Arkansas and Missouri to the east, Kansas to the north and Colorado and New Mexico at the tip of the northwestern Oklahoma panhandle. All of which suck compared to OK.
  • Antlers bills itself as "The Deer Capital of the World"
  • Oklahoma is one of only two states whose capital cities name includes the state name. The other is Indianapolis, Indiana.
  • Clinton Riggs designed the YIELD sign. It was first used on a trial basis in Tulsa.
  • Oklahoma has more man-made lakes than any other state, with over one million surface acres of water.
  • One lake, Grand Lake O' the Cherokees has more shore line than the shoreline from the tip of Maine to the tip of Florida.

Home of the Ponca City Rifle and Pistol range!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Both Texas and Florida have no income tax. It's looking like some sort of .fed flat/fair tax might be on the horizon. Both states have water and are gun friendly. Something to think about...

I have learned to ignore the "income tax" on a state basis as a draw. By the time you add up user fees, doc stamps, licence fees etc etc etc... states with "NO" income tax tend to be as or more expensive than those without. Property Taxes and sales taxes are the big hitters. OK has cheap property taxes... and that's about it. Of course... this State has few services and poor roads,and the politicians here run on that. Local sales taxes in OK tend to bust small towns... IMHO we would do better with a state sales tax (around 6%) than letting a town choke itself to death trying to collect 9% while the residents drive 40 miles to save 2% next town over.

My net burden to the state is about the same as it was in Michigan. A State that's commonly thought to have "high taxes" by outsiders. As a former Florida resident... that state nickles and dimes you to death on fees... and property taxes have rocketed tha past few years

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
... this State has few services and poor roads,and the politicians here run on that. Local sales taxes in OK tend to bust small towns... IMHO we would do better with a state sales tax (around 6%) than letting a town choke itself to death trying to collect 9% while the residents drive 40 miles to save 2% next town over.

Spoken like a true [ex]Logan County resident :D

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Ben... They get about 4 months of winter... but Southwestern Michigan is the SOCAL of the Midwest... plus it's about 2 hours from Chicago (or less)

Good watersports... nice scenery. If work is no object (if you NEED a job it's a little tough there) that corner of Michigan has very nice housing and lot's of positives.

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm from TN originally. Lived in GA, TX both for 6 years. Lived in ND for 31 years and moved here 3 years ago because our daughter & G-kids had moved here from NC.
It is GREAT to hear so many of you talk highly about OK. lol, I have enjoyed everyday since we moved, No snow and -30 temps anymore. I have family living in FL and all they do is complain about the heat and prices. I have family living in CA, they complain about the prices and laws. We are very glad of our decision to move here.
I just don't understand why you would ask a lot of folks about other places to live that seem to be very content in where they live!
Lots of good folks here.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Let me have your wife for a week and I guarantee she won't want to leave the state. Of course, after a week with me she won't want to come back to you though. :D
This is truth, after a week with Burk I didn't want to go back home either :(

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
All the cool kids want to live in the Pacific Northwest these days.

Portland is a decent-sized city with actual art and music scenes; it's like Tulsa without all the things that are retarded about Tulsa. Outside the city there's a lot of outdoors/hunting/shooting stuff available.

The PacNW is on my short list of places to move to when I'm done with school.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Ben... They get about 4 months of winter... but Southwestern Michigan is the SOCAL of the Midwest... plus it's about 2 hours from Chicago (or less)

Good watersports... nice scenery. If work is no object (if you NEED a job it's a little tough there) that corner of Michigan has very nice housing and lot's of positives.

My grandparents retired to Benton Harbor and they live in St Joseph now. Beautiful area. I wouldn't want to live there as a young person though.

dennishoddy

All the cool kids want to live in the Pacific Northwest these days.

Portland is a decent-sized city with actual art and music scenes; it's like Tulsa without all the things that are retarded about Tulsa. Outside the city there's a lot of outdoors/hunting/shooting stuff available.

The PacNW is on my short list of places to move to when I'm done with school.
We were just on vacation up there. Beautiful scenery, but OMG it is expensive.
Be prepared for lots of rain.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Look at Houston. I have a couple friends that live there. Plenty of gun matches all over that area and near water.

I would love to live in Austin but Houston is a giant armpit. Hot and humid and flooding and bleeeehhhhhhhhhh

Though I do think the Montrose area is fun, but then I'm a giant hipster douchebag (ask me about concealing a M&P9c in skinny jeans).

Latest posts