Help me find a place to move

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
It may be a while before i move (maybe 10 years from now), basically my wife is from Cali, loves the water, not a big fan of OK (weather, etc..), so i am just keeping my options open for now, i am looking for something that probably doesn't exist, but open to suggestions
1. must be near water, she was thinking maybe on a lake, preferable
2. must be good gun matches nearby
3. cannot be a small city, or at least within 30 minutes of a larger city (like OKC size)
4. prefer cost of living to be decent, but really the top 3 above are what is most important....

thanks...

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Florida adresses most of your short list. I prefer California's climate... Florida is humid state-wide. You can still find pockets of Native folks....similar to the folks in Coastal Alabama and South Georgia. However, most of the populated areas are over-run by East Coasters who think they just moved to the Suburbs and hit the Lottery.

Right now, Real estate in most of Florida has moderated prices since the bubble burst, Traffic and a fair amount of violent crime awaits in most counties. Oh,,, they place licences plates and lights on most breeds of bugs there also.

New Mexico has fair weather... not much water. I like parts of Nevada and AZ but ...not much recreational water... and they get winter at altitude there. DFW and North Texas in general seems to be a nice place...warm, lakes, lots to do and a good urban vibe,

All the other cool places I've been to are not gun freindly...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Florida. Cost of living is same, cost of real estate only challenging based on location. Ocean is 90 minutes away MAX. Lots of shooting.

Deacon

Well-Known Fanatic
I concur with these guys, I loved Florida. You really can't go wrong with most southeast coast cities I think. I'd stay between Florida and South Carolina.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
It don't get any cheaper than Oklahoma does it? I am pretty sure the only place with more shooting is the Pheonix area.

Aggieddad02

Well-Known Fanatic
ben - before leaning to heavy to Florida think Hurricane Andrew - I live in central Louisiana and all of my family and in-laws live in south Louisiana and I would not consider moving down south and have to contend with those storms and evacuations. What I am saying here is keep the big picture in front of you while looking. Good luck

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
for the record i am not leaning any direction... i am cool with OK, but my wife grew up in san diego and this is a tough sell!!! basically she wants to be near water, whether ocean or lake she doesn't care, i care about Guns and don't want to live in a small city, but don't want the cost of living to be too crazy.... just trying to find all my options.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
my wife is from Cali,
Strike 1

not a big fan of OK
Strike 2

not staying in OK
Strike 3

Kind of joking (kind of not) Yes, I was born and raised in OK so I am biased but I wouldn't live in any other state in the country.

Oklahoma is one of the most diverse states geographically. I think 9-10 different ecological regions. You can live anywhere from the prairie to the beach to the mountains and still be within a couple hours of OKC or Tulsa.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
......and if that isn't enough:
  • The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City, on July 16, 1935. Carl C. Magee, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is generally credited with originating the parking meter. He filed for a patent for a "coin controlled parking meter" on May 13, 1935.
  • The Amateur Softball Association of America - a volunteer-driven, not-for-profit organization based in Oklahoma City, OK - was founded in 1933 and has evolved into the strongest softball organization in the country.
  • Anadarko is home to the only authentic Indian City in the United States. It is located in the beautiful Washita river valley in southwest Oklahoma.
  • Okmulgee owns the world record for largest pecan pie, pecan cookie, pecan brownie, and biggest ice cream and cookie party. Each June, Okmulgee rolls out the welcome mat to thousands of its closest friends as the annual Pecan Festival comes to town.
  • The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is located in Oklahoma City.
  • The town of Beaver claims to be the Cow Chip Throwing Capital of the World. It is here that the World Championship Cow Chip Throw is held each April.
  • An Oklahoman, Sylvan Goldman, invented the first shopping cart.
  • Known as the Antique Capital of Oklahoma, Jenks is home to the state's best variety of: Antique Stores, Gift Shops, Galleries, Museums, Crafters Malls, and Collectible Retailers.
  • Originally Indian Territory, the state of Oklahoma was opened to settlers in a "Land Rush" in 1889. On a given date, prospective settlers would be allowed into the territory to claim plots of land by grabbing the stakes marking each plot. A few of these settlers entered to claim land before the official start of the land run; these cheaters were called "Sooners".
  • Bob Dunn a musician from Beggs invented the first electric guitar 1935.
  • Garth Brooks was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He grew up in Yukon, Oklahoma.
  • WKY Radio was the first radio station transmitting from west of the Mississippi River.
  • Belle Starr one of the most famous women outlaws is buried in an isolated grave southwest of Porum, Oklahoma near the Eufuala Dam.
  • In Gurhrie nearly 20,000 lighters and "fire starters" are displayed at the National Lighter Museum. The nation's only museum devoted to the collection of lighters.
  • Oklahoma was the setting for the movie "Twister".
  • Oklahoma is bordered by six states: Texas to the south and west, Arkansas and Missouri to the east, Kansas to the north and Colorado and New Mexico at the tip of the northwestern Oklahoma panhandle.
  • Antlers bills itself as "The Deer Capital of the World"
  • Oklahoma is one of only two states whose capital cities name includes the state name. The other is Indianapolis, Indiana.
  • Clinton Riggs designed the YIELD sign. It was first used on a trial basis in Tulsa.
  • Oklahoma has more man-made lakes than any other state, with over one million surface acres of water.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Both Texas and Florida have no income tax. It's looking like some sort of .fed flat/fair tax might be on the horizon. Both states have water and are gun friendly. Something to think about...

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
3214-004-81DFACA7.gif

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't help you. My wife and I are waiting for the kids to grow up, so that we can move to the mountains.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
burk, my wife will debate you heavily (i love OK), but it is ranked #1 state for allergies and getting sick, Weather can be horrible, she is very active and hates the fact that there are not basic things like bike lanes, more parks, etc.. anyways didn't want this to turn into what is better OK or the rest of the world, she has been here for 10 years and eventually i have to come her way... FL is looking more and more like where we might end up from the conversation on this thread..

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I feel her pain. I have had allergies my whole life. My Doc told me that Ok was a bad place to live, for people like me.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Come on none of you guys suggested Alaska or Hawaii yet. It would put Benji farther away from us than any other state. That would be good for everyone involved!

:25:

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
burk, my wife will debate you heavily (i love OK), but it is ranked #1 state for allergies and getting sick, Weather can be horrible, she is very active and hates the fact that there are not basic things like bike lanes, more parks, etc.. anyways didn't want this to turn into what is better OK or the rest of the world, she has been here for 10 years and eventually i have to come her way... FL is looking more and more like where we might end up from the conversation on this thread..

I understand, wives win most arguments. I just love the State and hate to see good people talk about leaving it.

However, having said that, things like bike lanes, parks, etc. are subjective in my opinion and not the best way to judge where to live. I'll bet you there are people in Florida who gripe about not having parks or bike paths. Cost of living, quality of life, climate are better comparisons. Bike paths can be built, quality of life can't.

If you do insist on judging our state on parks and bike paths, consider this.

http://www.okc.gov/trails/

OKC parks:
Bicentennial Park, 500 Couch Dr
Bluff Creek Park, MBT, T
Bob Akers Park, 2408 SE 11th St, P, B, BB
Britton Park, 1301 NW 96th, P
Brock Park, 1601 SW 25th, P
Brookwood Park, 9600 S Shartel Ave, P
Burton Park, 9701 N Shartel, P
Corbin Park, 4100 NW 12th, P
Creston Hills Park, 2240 NE 19th, BB, P
Crossroad Sports Complex, 9200 S Santa Fe Ave, B, CRm SC
Crown Heights Park, 600 NW 38th, B, P
Denniston Park, 3100 NW 25th, P
Diggs Park, 2201 N Coltrane Rd, RC, B, BB, P, RC
Dolese Youth Park, 5105 NW 50th, B, DG, FISH, P, PS, T
Dolphin Wharton Park, 301 NE 63rd, B, P
Douglas Park, 500 NW 47th St, B, P, PS
Douglass Park, 900 Carverdale Dr, B, BB, G, GC, P, RC, SG, SP
Draper Park (Capitol Hill), 99 SW 39th, B, BB, P
Dulaney Park, 2931 Nw 41st, P
Earlywine Park, 3033 SW 119th, FAC, GC, P, SC, T, TC
E.B. Jeffrey Park, 1600 N Meridian Ave, P, SG
Edgemere Park, 3301 N Harvey, B, P
Edwards Park, 1515 N Bryant Ave, B, P
Flower Garden Park, 4701 N Classes Blvd, P
Frost Heights Park, 2621 S Phillips Ave
Geraldine Park, 3203 N Geraldine Ave, B, P
Girvin Park, 3400 NW 14th, B, P
Glen Ellyn Park, 2300 Glen Ellyn St, P
Goodholm Park, 2701 N Robinson Ave, P, PS, T, TC
Greens Tot-Lot, 13044 Burlingame Ave, P
Harden Park, 2801 Creston Dr, BB, P
Harlow Park, 4800 NW 19th, B, P
Harvest Hills Park, 8235 NW 104th, B, P, SG (2008) T
Hathaway Park, 3730 S Lindsay Ave, B, G, P, RC, SC
Hefner Park, 3301 NW Grand Blvd, B, BB, GC, P, RC, TC
Highley Park, 1948 NW 8th, P
Hiram Park, 8200 Happy Lane, P
Hosea Vinyard Park, 4201 S Walker Ave, BB, P, TC
Jack W. Cornett Park, 3100 N Grove Ave, P, TC
J.B. Black Park, 2121 N Council Rd, B, P
John F Kennedy Park, 1824 NE 16th, B, P
Lakeshore Estates Park, 8121 W Lake Hefner, P
Lela Park, 1801 N Lela Ave, B, P, T, TC
Lightning Creek Park, 801 SW 81st, SC
Lincoln Park, 4600 N Martin Luther King Ave, GC, P, TC
Lippert Park, 5500 S Shartel Ave, B, P, SG
Lorraine Thomas Park, 2350 S Independence, B, P
Lytle Park, 801 Greenvale Rd, B, P
Macklanburg Park, 2234 NW 117th, B, G, P, RC, TC, SG
Mackleman Park, 5501 Mackleman Dr. P, PS, T, TC
Mark Twain Park, 2402 NW 1st, P
Martin Park Nature Center, 4700 W Memorial Rd, PS, T
May Park, 2831 SW 34th, P
McCracken Park, 425 SE 64th, P, PS, SG (2008), T, TC
McKinley Park, 1300 N McKinley Ave, B, BB, G, P RC, SC, SG
McMechan Park, 1601 McMechan Pkwy, P, PS
Meadowbrook Park, 3800 NW 10th, P
Melrose Park, 7800 Melrose Lane, B, BB, G, P, PS, RC, SG
Memorial Park, 1150 NW 36th, BB, P, RC, SC, SG, T, TC
Merrel Medley Park, 11100 S Pennsylvania Ave, B, T, SC
Mesta Park, 1900 N Shartel Ave, P, PS
Military Park, 1200 NW 25th, P
Minnis Lakeview Park, 12520 NE 36th, BB, G, P, PS, RC, T, SP
Northeast Center Park, 1300 NE 33rd, P, RC
North Highland Park, 301 NW 81st, P
North Rotary Park, 5708 N Tulsa, P, SC, TC
Oliver Park, 3201 S Broadway Lane
Overholser Park, 2402 E Overholser Drive, SC, TC
Pat Murphy Park, 4500 W Hefner Rd, P
Perez Park, 301 SW 14th, P
Phillips Park, 2808 N Prospect Ave, P
Pied Piper Park, 10100 N University Ave, P
Pilot Center Park, 1435 NW 2nd, G, P, RC
Pitts Park, 1920 N Kate Ave, BB, G, P, RC, TC, BB
Prairie Dog Park, W Lake Hefner Dr, B, SC
Progressive Community Park, 10513 NE 43rd, P
Quail Creek Park, 11102 Quail Creek Rd, P, T
Red Andrews Park, 720 NW 8th, G, P
Redlands Park, 1423 NW 141st, P, PS
Reed Park, 1217 N May Ave, P, SG (2008), TC
Regatta Park, 701 S Lincoln Blvd (Boathouse)
River Park, 800 S Agnew Ave, S
Ross Park, 2700 NW 62nd, BB, P, PS, T, TC
Rotary Playground Park, 416 SE 15th, B, BB, P
Route 66 Park, 3350 W Overholser Dr, FISH (2008), P, PS, T
Schilling Park, 601 SE 25th, B, BB, G, P, RC, SP, TC
Sellers Park, 8301 S Villa Ave, B, G, P, PC, SC, SG, SP, TC
Shallow Brook Park, 4901 S Shallow Brook Dr, B, P, PS, T
Siler Park, 2500 SW 95th, B, P
Smitty Park, 2400 NW 44th, B, P, T
Southern Oaks Park, 6818 S Walker Ave, B, G, P, RC
South Lakes Park, 4302 SW 119th, BB, FISH, P, PS, SC, T
South Rotary Park, 1604 SW 15th St, P, B, TC, BB