Help me choose a barrel for my AR build.

David Lee Garza

Fanatic
Okay shooters, I'm building an AR (first build) and now it's time to choose a barrel...I need some help with the **** ton of options out there.

First, let me make it easier and tell ya'll my intended use:
Max distance I'll probably be shooting: less than 200 yards
Going to be using factory loads most of the time, 55 gr-62gr
Ever other information that would help, please ask.

Also, I've kinds ruled out a CMV barrel.
I was thinking it was going to be between a CHF vs. a .223 Wylde (I haven't seen them in anything other than SS).
I do wonder though, at the short distance I'm shooting, will I even notice a difference in accuracy between a 5.56 CHF barrel vs. a .223 Wylde?

If not then I guess I could get a CHF.
But then that opens it up to which CHF barrel to get...
I'd appreciate any responses and feedback. Thank you.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
It all depends on the barrel. What is your intended purpose for this guy? I always lean toward stainless. If you are hunting little critters like p - dogs or crows definitely recommend stainless. It's the difference between knowing you are going to have a sub moa barrel or just getting lucky. chances are that your not taking this rifle to Stan so chrome lined would not be a high priority on my list. Stainless will last longer than 90% of people that have them. Have you ever been disappointed that your rifle was to darn accurate?

Feegee

The Magic Man
I was at Tony's house the other night and The barrels he has are bad ass. He has silver and black nitrate. I like the silver one the best, and I don't think you could beat his prices!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Are you trying to shoot one hole groups at 200 or just ding 10" steel or what?

Any barrel will shoot 800 yards. We just need to know if you actually want to hit anything.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I use ER Shaw Match Grade barrels in all of my AR-15 builds. I'm a big fan of them. You can easily shoot "sub-MOA" with them.

David Lee Garza

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Are you trying to shoot one hole groups at 200 or just ding 10" steel or what?

Any barrel will shoot 800 yards. We just need to know if you actually want to hit anything.
Haha, yes I definitely want to hit something. And smaller groups would be great. I just thought that since I'd be shooting under 200 yards I wouldn't even be getting the full benefits of a higher quality barrel. Sorry, I guess I should have came in here with a little more information about barrels.

Mid-length
1-hole groups or close to that at 200 yards is a plus.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
What kinda group do you want? You can get 4-6" with a cheap chrome lined barrel for $100 or you can get 1" with $500 barrel.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I keep thinking I need to take off my 18" 1/7 twist FNH CHF chrome lined barrel and go stainless like all the other cool fast guys. I just don't know if my barrel is my issue or the Phteven behind the scope.

image.png

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
My vote for the money would be Nordic, black hole weaponry, or one of those Saturn barrels dr jj is selling on here. At 200 yards I don't think your gonna need to spend jp type money.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought one of Dr JJ's Saturn barrels.
They look very cool, rifle gas I think.
I have changed my build idea and will have it for sale here before long...unless you want it.
I think with credit card fee's, tax & shipping I have $323ish in it.
Will take $300 fact to face, will be at OKC 3gun match this weekend.
Tony will love me for hijacking his promotions here.
Michael

Signal22

Active Fanatic
StealthESW said:
I have a FN cold hammer forged 16" mid-length barrel, it has a 1/7 twist that would be good for the heavy stuff and still pretty good with the lighter rounds. I got mine through Brownell's. It is actually a Spike's Tactical barrel, you can read the specs here http://www.spikestactical.com/new/sss/st-fn-cold-hammer-forged-16-midlength-barrel-556-p-830.html.

The barrel is chambered for 5.56 and is chrome lined.
+1, nice call, Steve at Cold Hand usually has these onhand

Latest posts