Help me be faster!

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
I’m working at being faster.
And yes the good old shoot fast don’t miss advice, Ok I got that.
Can you guys give me some training drills,, or practice, drills to help me speed up.
I can see from the,, posts,, I know a bunch of you guys already, and some of you know me too.
I have been,, working on my shotgun loading, strong hand and weak hand, and mostly off hand, rifle practice, with a .22 kit,, 70 yards at a few 8x8 inch plates and pistol stuff,, ,
I have been doing this and that,, I just need some fresh ideas,, of things to do..

Jim,,,

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
what comp. are you training for??? 3 gun, ipsc, etc...

My big match will be the RM3G,, I have shot it twice,, now,,

I'm not new to 3 gun,,, I just feel like I'm stuck in a rut.. and need to get out of it,,

I'm also shooting the Texas 2 Gun,, and the LaRue/Texas 3 Gun,,

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Oh man Jim found us! Lock up your farm animals!!! I don't know that I can give you a specific drill but I am working really hard on getting my guns up and on target a good step or three before I get into the finaly position I plan to shoot from. Watching Phil Strader and taking both of his competition pistol classes taught me I am way behind on the getting the gun up thing compared to the pros. I was using the run like hell, get there then get to the shooting real fast. Phil is ready to shoot the second he is where he needs to be.

Heck I just thought of a drill. Set up 2-3 shooting boxes and some steel or paper plates if your dry firing. Move laterlaly and forward and back in and out of those boxes going from box to box. Work on getting the gun, sights, and trigger ready to go the second that both feet are into the box. That measn you need to get your center of gravity low, bend those knees and move smoothly. I will try to setup the drill in my dry fire cave and show you what I am talking about. Im not sure you can follow it in words, especially mine.

Chambers

actual GM
Mike Seeklander's new book, Your Competition Handgun Training Program, has a bunch of great drills like the one Jesse just described. It's worth checking out! Being stronger on the handgun makes you better with the long guns, too.

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
Oh man Jim found us! Lock up your farm animals!!! I don't know that I can give you a specific drill but I am working really hard on getting my guns up and on target a good step or three before I get into the finaly position I plan to shoot from. Watching Phil Strader and taking both of his competition pistol classes taught me I am way behind on the getting the gun up thing compared to the pros. I was using the run like hell, get there then get to the shooting real fast. Phil is ready to shoot the second he is where he needs to be.

Heck I just thought of a drill. Set up 2-3 shooting boxes and some steel or paper plates if your dry firing. Move laterlaly and forward and back in and out of those boxes going from box to box. Work on getting the gun, sights, and trigger ready to go the second that both feet are into the box. That measn you need to get your center of gravity low, bend those knees and move smoothly. I will try to setup the drill in my dry fire cave and show you what I am talking about. Im not sure you can follow it in words, especially mine.

Farm animals,,, we have 4 horses and a cow,, hmmmm no kidding,, ;0) will that help me shoot faster,,?????
you seem to know? hehehehe

I have to get a dryfire cave set up, that is a good idea,,, , gettng a look at whatever you are doing,, would be a great help.
I got the,, Matt B how to practice,, DVD a few years ago,,, it was good,,
I am making myself,, actually,, practice,, that is the big step.

I have 3 ea,, 10inch X 12 Inch steel on stands that I can move around,, as needed,, 3 shooting boxes, and 2 barrels,, I come up with some drills,,, shoot move and some of that,, I need more,, out of my one thinking ideas,, of training drills,,, I move out to 50 yards and do the same type of stuff with my AR and the .22 kit,,
I do shoot real AR ammo,,, but not as much $$$$$ wise,,

watching,, what the super fast,, guys,, they are all shooting on the move,,whenever they can,,, for the most part,,, load the shotgun fast,, and are just plan fast,,

from doing a self AAR,, looking at my weaknesses,,, and working on them,, shooitng on the move, shotgun loading... flying clays, I am Ok on the flippers,, but don't have any at home I can practice with,, putting more than one up and hititng them,, is a big time saver,,,

making up more training options,,

Airic

I shoot.
Something that really improved my stage times was working on everything else but shooting. Multi-tasking, movement. Like Jesse said, coming into shooting positions and breaking the shots as soon as possible. Moving/leading out of shooting positions before your done with a string. Staying out of ports....it doesnt help you any to put the barrel of a gun through a port unless you just can't avoid it.

Stage rehersal, I visualize a stage in my head over and over until I step up to the line.

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
Something that really improved my stage times was working on everything else but shooting. Multi-tasking, movement. Like Jesse said, coming into shooting positions and breaking the shots as soon as possible. Moving/leading out of shooting positions before your done with a string. Staying out of ports....it doesnt help you any to put the barrel of a gun through a port unless you just can't avoid it.

Stage rehersal, I visualize a stage in my head over and over until I step up to the line.

Very true,,,, all that you say,,, and I'm not doing most of those things,,,

I love that,, Teddy R,,, quote,,, that nails,, 3 Gun,, for me,, get out and do it let the cards fall,,

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Being "stronger" with a pistol doesn't mean you are stronger with a rifle, or a shotgun. I know many a G.M. pistoleer that is at best mediocer with either long gun. Way too many pistol guys think this, and that they can just modify "pistol drills" to work with Rifle or Shotgun. It just plain doesn't work that way. That is why a lot of these "carbine" courses are shot in bays that only go to 50 yards. The use, mind set, movement, and deploymenyt is all different for the long guns, so should the drills.

MAmmo....getting to the point of breaking the shot and knowing it is on or off is a big part of the gas pedal, as well as moving into position ready to shoot, but more important is knowing what positions you are going to use. I have seen some real strange shooting positions as of late, because no-one teaches the basics of long arm shooting much anymore. I can think of about 6 teachers in the U.S. that do when it comes to our sport. KurtM

Being "stronger" with a pistol doesn't mean you are stronger with a rifle, or a shotgun. I know many a G.M. pistoleer that is at best mediocer with either long gun. Way too many pistol guys think this, and that they can just modify "pistol drills" to work with Rifle or Shotgun. It just plain doesn't work that way. That is why a lot of these "carbine" courses are shot in bays that only go to 50 yards. The use, mind set, movement, and deploymenyt is all different for the long guns, so should the drills.

MAmmo....getting to the point of breaking the shot and knowing it is on or off is a big part of the gas pedal, as well as moving into position ready to shoot, but more important is knowing what positions you are going to use. I have seen some real strange shooting positions as of late, because no-one teaches the basics of long arm shooting much anymore. I can think of about 6 teachers in the U.S. that do when it comes to our sport. KurtM

I'll second Kurt's point...

For me it's about calling the shot and driving the gun immediately to the next target or getting out of that position. Jesse makes a very good point as well. Being ready to shoot when you get there is very important. My advice would be work on calling your shots. Being able to immediately call a hit from the visual imput of the sights when the shot breaks. Illiminate the dwell time of wondering if your hit is there or not. Once you start cutting your transition times the overall stage times will improve.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Here is the stuff, i plan on practicing for 2011. it will help me get better and give me more confidence.

pistol: 6"plates and head shots out to 20yds, this allows me to call my shots better and KNOW how quick i can pull the trigger and still break a good shot. also be able to hit a 12" plate out to 50yds and a c-zone out to 75yds consistently.

Rifle: 4moa and 3moa targets from 200 and out, on poorly contrasted targets, and from awkward and poorly stable positions, also offhand and other positions at 150 and less at 6moa targets. Also head shots at 100yds and less. get into a good solid shooting position quickly.

SG: port load smoothly, load load load load, shoot my pump against others using auto's, hit steel at 25-50-75-100 quickly with slugs plate sizes 6" 8" 10" and 12", snap shoot plates with a no shoot nearby.

These are things that any could practice, and will benefit everyone that does if you are not confident in your ability to do them on demand.

As Kurt said, each of the guns is distinctly different and each has its strengths and differences you must know what each gun can do in YOUR hands, generally speaking. SG: load smoothly and don't miss, Pistol: shoot and move smoothly, Rifle: don't miss and know your trajectory. One does not translate to the other.

trapr

Chambers

actual GM
Being "stronger" with a pistol doesn't mean you are stronger with a rifle, or a shotgun.

I guess I should have clarified! I'm not saying I wouldn't practice with rifle/shotgun, just that the core fundamentals of what makes the best shooters fast (moving fast, driving the gun, seeing what they need to see, & calling the shots) are easy to improve on with the handgun. You can shoot a USPSA match just about every weekend if you don't mind a little drive. Put the technical details of whatever weapon aside (trajectory, ammo, zero, Coriolis effect), and the fastest shooter is the guy who can move, manipulate and of course SEE the fastest.

Of course my experience isn't even a drop in the bucket compared you guys but this has been my casual observation! I can't wait for your class. For what it's worth I've taken one of those 50 yd. carbine courses. :p

Lance - good to see you here.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
With absolutely NO offence ment, it is easy to see that you have taken one of those 50 yard courses from your avitar. Manipulation is where it all falls apart, and in movement. Yes it is easy to get better wiht a pistol, also many pistol courses are very close in range and a bit of dispertion is still in the A zone, now lets just look at that for a moment, an improper grip on a rifle will cause about the same dispertion as a bad pistol grip at 10 yards say around 6", wich will still keep you in an A/C zone side to side and top to bottom if you start centered. Now lets take that and move it to 100 yards...well it looks alot like a hit and a miss!

If your premise was true, Todd Jarret, Rob Leatham, JoJo Vedanes would all kick everyones ass in 3-gun and yet I haven't seen any of them in the top 10. Most pistol guys have a very steep learning curve when it comes to the long guns. If you were right about the "core fundamentals" they would be unstopable...but they aren't I am not picking on you, but I am pointing out that the skill sets are different and so should the drills. Way too many folks think that if you are good with a pistol you will be with a long gun, which isn't the case. KurtM

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
All good stuff..

Other than my live fire drills,,

I have to work a dry fire plan.

I watched Top Shot loading shot shells strong hand load,,, for at least half of the show,
as half ass as it may sound, 15 or 20 min a day,,, of doing,,, is part of this training goal.

If i was to tell you I was going to practice for an hour,, I would be lying to you,,

Right now,, the light switchs in my house are my dry fire,, drill tgts,, :0)

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
From the last Match,,, the Tx 2 Gun,

I like to see how the big boys,,, whoopped up on me,,

now that , the rest of the scores came out,, I know I still would not have won,, but those long Range Stages, That I shot ,,, would have helped, Me at the end of the day,,!!

Still trying to shoot faster! Running faster,, Hmmm probably a thing of the past!

morrisammo

Active Fanatic
well,, I have been pushing myself to shoot faster,,,

and I am shooting faster,, making more mistakes, while doing so,,, but trying to keep my head and tell myself,, it is all good,, I will learn past,,, that too,,

Finding MY ragged edge as my friend Doug,, says it,,

I need to keep pushing it,, and will

and during what I will call a more important match,, I'll dial it back,, just a little bit,, to try and keep the,,
Opps,,, factor down.

Jim

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I like to go too fast every now and again just to see how it compares to my current pace. You and Luke should come take Kurt and Traprs 3 gun class in April.

Latest posts