Help in deciding on a .22lr rifle.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Plain and simple, I don't know what I want to get. I know I want a .22 rifle for plinking, marksmanship training on the cheap, and for getting my wife into shooting sports more! Here are the three choices I'm currently juggling:

I'm pricing complete .22lr AR uppers, and they're usually in the upper $300 to lower $400's (I have the AR lower, ready to be built with a kit).

I really like the Ruger 10/22, especially the break down model. That would set me back about $250-$350.

I also like the idea of a nail-driving bolt action, which could be as expensive as an AR upper, without the glass.

I'm more heavily leaning towards completing my AR build with the dedicated .22lr upper, at the moment.

ReefShark

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are just looking for opinions, I have everything from a single shot, to a bolt action Marlin, to a 10/22 and I have to say that I love my 10/22 above all. It also just happens to be my wife's favorite plinking rifle which might correlate to what your wife would enjoy shooting as well. It's a fun little gun that she can just keep pulling the trigger until it quits. It is accurate and fun. What more could you want in a rifle...just my two cents my friend.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
If you build an AR, you WILL want some sort of 22 upper or conversion kit. Dedicated upper has its advantages in accuracy an the ability to leave your optics set (you will end up with two optics, on for each upper.) With the 22 upper you can start playing AR, then work on your real upper later. But I can't imagine life without a 10/22 either. The best answer is all of the above; you just have to decide in what order! If you had nothing at all and were on a budget, I would recommend 10/22. But you have a head start with that AR lower, so... go for the 22 upper is my vote.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
If you decide on a dedicated 22 then the 10/22 is hard to beat. They make almost as many assories (sp) for the 10/22 as the AR

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
If money weren't such an issue, I'd go with both the 10/22 and a dedicated upper. But alas, I can't seem to find anyone who wants my old video games and trading cards!

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Check with some pawn shops (like our friend Stan at Simpsonville G&P). You might find a deal on a 10/22. Or wait til the gun show.

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing against Ruger, have a couple of their pistolas and prefer them, but don't forget about the Marlin 22s. The Model 60 is a classic (my brother still has his from 40 years ago) but I have the newer Model 795 because I like the magazine option. You can carry a pocket full of seven or ten round mags and reload much easier than the tube feed. Plus there are some 25 rd mags out there, too. It is a tack driver right out of the box using the standard iron sights. I prefer a wood stock but the one I have is fine with a synthetic stock. They are less expensive than the Rugers.

No, the M-795 doesn't have the accessories line-up like a 10/22, but we are talking a SHTF senario. Do you want a bunch of fancy off brand bling on your gun or do you want a basic, reliable rifle that you don't need to worry about?

just saying

j

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
The Ruger 10/22 offers a ton of future customization options. You can dress it up to feel like an M1 carbine, an Evil Black Rifle, a classic M1A or other wood stocked semiauto, and so on. Lots of choices. On the downside, plan on putting about $50 into a 10/22. You'll want a Volquertson target hammer and auto bolt release kit and maybe a few extra things.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our 10/22s.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
carsontech said:
William Batterman Ruger, Sr. ... "Progenitor of the Clinton Administration's High Capacity Magazine Ban""

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ruger/15693-did-ruger-more-than-support-awb.html

There are a few other brands I don't buy or support either.

Just sayin'...

He died... The company has changed and moved on. They are leading in innovation and supporting 2A organizations. They are producing the kind of weapons that would make Bill Ruger roll in his grave. I'll support them til I see the company screwing up like the old man. Just saying.

carsontech

Well-Known Fanatic
Dave29461 said:
He died... The company has changed and moved on. They are leading in innovation and supporting 2A organizations. They are producing the kind of weapons that would make Bill Ruger roll in his grave. I'll support them til I see the company screwing up like the old man. Just saying.

I know, but I still can't get the sour taste out of my mouth when I learned about that. That's not all I have against them though, I've never held a Ruger that I liked, either. They seem cheaper made than they are worth, if you get my drift. They are ussually more affordable than other brands though.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
I know what you mean. I don't buy S&W except for ones manufactured before they caved to the gun grabbers and put a futzing lock on a gun. I also never cared for anything Ruger with the exception of the .22 pistol (of which I have several) until the SR9 came out. I'm very pleased with the SR9c I carry everyday. I also carry a 17rd mag in my pocket and one in my BOB. I only bought a 10-22 in the last 6 months. My favorite .22 has been my Winchester Model 270 slide action. It was the first firearm I ever purchased with my own money. It is still a beautiful piece of industrial art and a tack driver. That being said, I'll have to agree that the 10-22 take down is tough to beat.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
carsontech said:
They seem cheaper made than they are worth, if you get my drift.

I dunno, but I would say you are probably in the minority on that opinion. IMO, the 10/22, Mark and Redhawk are hard to beat. Not much experience with their other models.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I concur with the 10/22 advice. Very nice, handy pointing rifle as-is. Bolt release, buffer, extended mag release and it's even better. Start adding stocks, optics, accessories and it can get crazy.

If the AR is the chevy small block of the gun world, then the 10/22 is a Honda Civic Si motor.

For Ruger's other guns, I have a P-89DC that's a VERY nice shooter. Been thinking about an LC9 as a carry gun, but haven't shot one yet.

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
Since the gun will be for your wife I suggest you take her to a few shops and let her see what feels right. What feels good to you may be terrible for her.

My wife and 13yr old daughter love shooting the Ruger 10/22, my 20yr old daughter enjoys the Savage Mk-II bolt rifle. They all find the Marlin 60 front heavy and shoot poorly with it. The 10/22 and Savage MkII have tapered barrels 18" and 20" while the Marlin 60 has a full length thickness to its barrel making it front heavy compared to the Ruger and Savage I have. When it comes to reloading, the ladies prefer using mags I have pre loaded, they hate dropping one round at a time down the tube of the Marlin... LOL.

jmt2566

Well-Known Fanatic
My Marlin 60 has always been great fun, a reliable and accurate shooter. It has many rounds through it but just keeps on going - ever since 1987!!! I can't say anything bad about another .22LR because I have never had a need or desire for another, my model 60 has always gotten the job done.

Jeff

heymatthew

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to go with the Ruger 10/22 on this one. I just finished putting one together with a Tactical Solutions 16.5" barrel, Hogue overmolded stock and Nikon Rimfire scope and it shoots like a dream. I had the trigger re-worked by my gunsmith up here in Sumter and he added in an extended magazine release. I also dropped in an automatic bolt release myself. I typically just shoot off-hand with it at less than 50 yards. There isn't a soda can, potato or steel plate within 100 miles that's safe from me and my 10/22. :) Great, reliable gun that eats anything and keeps on going. Put about 300 rounds through it yesterday and not a hiccup.

I have shot my uncle's Henry Lever Action .22 and it's a TON of fun to shoot. I've got one on my short list and, if Santa doesn't put one under the tree, I'll buy one myself and shoot Santa with it. :) The good thing about the Henry is that you can shoot 22 Short, Long and Long Rifle out of them. The shorts are great fun. They shoot like a pellet gun with no noise or recoil and are a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport without spooking them with something more intimidating.

Often times, the noise level is what turns people off (my wife, for example).

Check out the Henry rifles if you haven't already.

Latest posts