Hello again.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
Figured I'd register over here finally. Not to mention I haven't been able to get on OSA all day. . .

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Welcome - yea that tends to happen a lot - I can honestly say knock on wood - we have yet to have greater than 5 minute downtime...

Moving up to a new server soon should all but eliminate that also.

ENJOY and spread the word.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I can deal with no GD section. There's times when I don't feel like reading all that crud. I'm honestly about to just stop reading the GD section period, just read and learn what I can from the dedicated firearm sections.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
No GD is definitely nice now, but it is going to make a lot of work for the mods and admins as the site grows. People will GD somewhere weather there is a GD section or not. The reason for a GD section on large forums is to contain in into one area people can ignore if they so choose. I hope we can keep it down here, but it's gonna be a lot of deleting, warning, and banning to do it I think.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Or possibly people will not bother with joining here if there is no avenue for GD.
We do BS here alot but not about what's for breakfast or what we're watching on TV.
We try to stick to gun/shooting BS.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The plan is to have several moderators for each area like the Brian Enos forum. That way we can keep things where they need to be so people can find info on what they are looking for. I have spent less time on forums than most of you but I have done a lot of reading and posting over the last two years. I find that most people come to learn about something they arent familiar with, get reassurance that what they like somebody else likes or at least hasn't had trouble with it, and they come to buy and sell things. I really invision this forum as the place shooters come to get info about competitive shooting and shooting in general in OK. Right now we have a bunch of the local IPSC shooters here and some bulkseye guys.
I just shot my first team sniper match last weekend and really enjoyed it. I want to get those guys on here to talk about and share their sport with the rest of us so we can enjoy it too.
The SASS community is huge in OK yet I don't know where to go to learn more about it. I hope we can provide that crowd with ability to show the rest if us their wonderful shooting sport.
We haven't had to ban anyone yet or even tell anybody to watch themselves. I am sure someday we will have to do both but it will not be done on a whim without a discussion.
I am a big supporter of using real names on forums so as to give each poster a true identity so they are less likely to do and say things they normally would not do unless they were anonymous. That's all I have to say about that.

Glad y'all are here. Have fun and happy shooting.

No GD is definitely nice now, but it is going to make a lot of work for the mods and admins as the site grows. People will GD somewhere weather there is a GD section or not. The reason for a GD section on large forums is to contain in into one area people can ignore if they so choose. I hope we can keep it down here, but it's gonna be a lot of deleting, warning, and banning to do it I think.

Thats why we hope that folks that want to bs more than be serious about shooting will leave.

I still say we are way too much competitive shooting and not enough training and practical stuff.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Time to find some people that are knowledgeable in those areas - I'll leave that to you Mike while I'm in Australia - I expect the site to be full of training when I get back in December...

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
While I agree with what's been said about some of the junk in the GD section of OSA, such as meaningless polls, I think it's a bad idea to do away with a General Discussion forum altogether. Although I may be a gun enthusiast, I also like the GD area to discuss and keep current on local/current events in the area.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter, for whatever it's worth.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think that a GD discussion area is necessary at all. In fact, maybe that's why OSA is down so much, bandwidth required by the GD section, lol.

Just for comparison, I crunched numbers of all the comparative forums(less the marketplace section) on OSA, and came up with a total of 21k threads. The GD section alone has 35k threads, how awesome would it be if those discussions were more information in the gun threads? You wouldn't have time to read the GD thread, because you'd more than likely be learning too much in the gun threads.

If it were like that, it would be beneficial to have individual gun type threads, clustered in a maker forum(i.e. forum/Remington/700) so that you could go straight to the gun you were trying to find out about and read through it for an answer before you even asked the question.

I mean, I know there's a lot of gun models, but 90% of the time the questions are still about one class of gun.

Also, lest we forget, look at the FGST thread. 53k replies. 53, 0 0 0. In one thread. I tried making sense of it one time after I joined OSA, then I woke up later with drool down my shirt. Apparently I had blacked out, I don't know.

I don't think we need non-gun stuff like that here. I'm not even a good contributor here, as I don't competitively shoot, but I come here first to ask a question, as it's easier for me to find the right forum. More than likely, it won't get moved without a little heads up if I accidentally get it in the wrong forum.

I'm just saying. . .

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
You make a good point, JR., and after reading your rebuttal of my reply, I agree with your logic.

Latest posts