Hello 1911 Fanatics

KINGMAN1911

New Fanatic
I just joined the forum but have fallen In love with 1911s over the past 2 years. Q? Can a night sight be installed on my Colt Gold Cup? Any experience and which one would be best. It is a fixed black sight now... thx

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Welcome from NC. I don't own any colts, but hopefully someone will be along to help you out with that shortly!

Spad

Active Fanatic
You should and can put night sites on it. Actually all you need is a front nite sight. The rear can be done too. The Eliason rear sights are notorious for coming loose. My advice to you is leave it alone as you may run into feeding problems with defensive ammo and the Gold Cup value goes up all the time. Maybe some one who has modded a Gold Cup can give advice. Mine just sits in the safe and going up in value. I have the good fortune to have other Colt's, Rock Island and Ruger 1911's that have changed stuff on..Spad

Last edited:

Roadwarrior77

Fanatic
I agree with Spad, leave it alone if it's an older GCNM. I have a 1976 model that I would LOVE to put a front sight on, but don't want to hurt the value.

Spad

Active Fanatic
You could sell the GC and use the money to buy a Ruger 1911, or Colt and a Rock Island. RW77, I think mine is 76 also, fancy wood box. I bought my GC with the idea as a carry, found out be better to keep and picked up a Colt Combat Commander, Series 70. One of my carrys is a Colt Defender 45 with front night sight. My Harley sits in the garage as I can no longer ride...Always hope though..Spad

Murphy

Fanatic
Your Gold Cup most likely has a staked in front. The fixed rear is non standard. Normally have a larger dovetail than the gov't model and came standard with an Elliason adjustable rear. If you want fixed combat style sights the world standard is the Novak dovetail, front and rear. A good machinist can put those dovetails in for about a $100. That would be best. You then have many options for front and rear sights. You can get tritium, fiber optics, gold bead, plain serrated black. Anything you want. I've put the tritium sight in the staked in front but it's a pain and you must strike it with a big hammer. That will likely break the tritium vial and the gas will be gone. Dark mode. I now have a good staking tool but very rarely use it because almost all companies dovetail their sight slots so only a pusher is needed. Tritium sight on a carry gun is a good idea especially if you don't carry a light. With a light they are just black sights so with a rail for a WML no need for tritium. Your railess Colt will work better with tritium. I would strongly recommend getting Novak dovetails. Makes changes much easier. Good luck with the Colt GC.

Spad

Active Fanatic
A good gunsmith can put on a staked tritium pretty cheap, then you can epoxy or JB Weld that Eliasovn sight on, paint it For CQC all you need is that front sight. Trick is to get a big front night sight. Lot of different size dots out there. M has given you all the options with Novac cuts. You can look on the Novac website and they have all the details, cost, shipping slide. Also try Cylinder&Slide.com