Heavy weight handguards

TommyD

Well-Known Fanatic
Todd Jarrett had a heavy handguard at the A6 multigun match and said it kept his rifle from jumping...didnt catch what brand it was..any ideas what some of the heavier handguards out there are?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
JP handguards are heavy. You're better off with a heavy barrel and a carbon fiber hsndguard from AP/Rhino.

JTRhino10 saves you 10% on any rhino arms rifles or AP customs products btw.

TommyD

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys. Ive already got a JP on there. Will look into a heavier barrel maybe. He let me shoulder that thing..it was solid heavy and didnt look like the signature handguard you posted the link to.

But perhaps the answer is better technique? My front sight is jumping up and right

jtischauser

Heavy guns move less under recoil. It's simple as that. I don't know of anything heavier then the JP handguard. You can reduce your reciprocating mass more with a Ti or Al bolt carrier and s little less gas too. I run a PRS stock on my guns to help balance the weight out front.

The current fad of running mid length gas 14.5-16" guns for faster transitions is the exact opposite of what you're seeking. I'm still not a fan of that idea. My rifles are heavy.

jtischauser

They voodoo are lower mass but not as light as a standard JP steel carriers or anywhere close to the weight of the Boomfab Titane or the new disposable JP Aluminum carriers. If you want to reduce sight movement in a rifle low mass carrier, buffer and adjustable gas will do way more then a heavy handguard will.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I have a heavy profile fluted 18" barrel, SJC Titan comp up front, and overall a heavy rifle. Right at 12lbs unloaded. I also went with a MagPul PRS, and now a MagPul UBR stock to add weight to the back to balance the gun. I even run a Surefire 6PX light up front. I am running a low mass system with adjustable gas block. When you 1st pick it up, she seems heavy, but once you put it in your shoulder she feels much lighter. Barely even moves when I shoot it.

Weight does help soak up that recoil, but what seemed to make the biggest difference to me was the low mass system, and the comp. I like mine being heavy. Very stable on target, and I am big enough to still be able top swing it fast.

TommyD

Well-Known Fanatic
Low mass bcg: check
Adj gas block: check
Firebird comp: check

What buffer systems should I take a gander at?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I had the JP low mass buffer and spring when I had the PRS stock on. Now I use the JP silent captured spring with my carbine length UBR. Either will work fine, the silent captured spring is a bit pricey. The silent captured spring also gives you more tunability since it has the optional spring kit with 5 spring weights. I am using the spring that came with it though.

TommyD

Well-Known Fanatic
Well thanks fellas! I'll also look into a heavy barrel whenever i shoot out this one. Been wanting a PRS just cause it looks damn cool so i'll go for it to balance it out.

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe you can try the Pfeifer Zeliska, i also know that this handgun is the most poweful and heaviest..