Heartland Price Gouging

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
yup had people say it to me personally (one in my extended family, believe it or not) and if you check some of the other forums (some local, some national) you will read it..

That sucks. I disagree with pretty much everything he does politically, but that's extreme. He's still a human being, a father and a husband. I hope people don't get stupid and do something in response to something that hasn't even happened yet.

You all have a good night. I usually don't rant but it just really chapped my ass since I really like them guys at heartland.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well here's my two cents. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

I know all the philosophy about free markets, supply and demand and all that ****. But the fact of the matter is, it's just a crock that a supplier jacks up the price of a $12 item to $40, $60 or whatever. A simpler way of dealing with the demand and spreading your sales out is to set a purchase limit. I just saw a site with a limit of 5 pmags for a purchase. Their price was inflated but not as bad as some. Anything else is just highway robbery. They are free to do so, and I'm free to go elsewhere if I so choose which I do all the time. I just checked Midway's site and you could order as many magpul items that you want at "normal" pricing. Will you get it in the next 6 months? Who knows, but you still can and that's the point. If a retail store has to raise prices that's totally different, but I can't see the scenario being that in less than the week that has passed since this **** started.

dennishoddy

My feelings exactly.
I'm not a business owner, but if I had bought an item like a pmag, from a distributor, and had it on my Shelf for $15, knowing I could make enough profit to keep my bottom line in order, I'd sell them at regular price untill they ran out.

high prices only hurt until you decide to buy. Ive been telling myself to remember that. The only thing Ill say in HL's defense (and its not really defending them), is that for the last few years theyve been in business, I have to think that they have made little if any profits. I am very glad that I dont have people counting on me to give them a paycheck and have to make decisions to jack up prices like that.

that said, Mike P., I might take you up on the midway thing; Ill see what they have in stock. thanks!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
They can sell you that PMAG for $10 and wait ONE YEAR for a new shipment to show up.

OR

They can sell you that PMAG for $50 and wait for ONE YEAR for a new shipment to show up.

Which one keeps the lights on?
Like I said in another thread........They sell more than PMAGS.
PMAG business didn't keep the lights on all by itself before this started & 5X markup on a case of PMAGS wouldn't keep the lights on for a week.

rustin

Well-Known Fanatic
But once they run out of current stock, they certainly won't be selling anymore PMAGs in the near future will they? Supply and demand.

These "local gun store" PMAG stories usually go one of two ways:

1) "The local fudd shop had a rack of PMAGs for $10 each. I bought ALL of them. What a bunch of dumbasses, I got the deal of the year, don't they know they are going for $50 each on ar15.com?"

2) "The local fudd shop had a rack of PMAGs for $50 each. I bought none. What a bunch of dumbasses. If I wanted to pay $50 each, I'd just buy them on ar15.com."

dennishoddy

I'm not that hot on pmags anyway.
The AR stoners from midway will Work for me, but WAIT!
I already have all I need, bought before this BS

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
But once they run out of current stock, they certainly won't be selling anymore PMAGs in the near future will they? Supply and demand.

These "local gun store" PMAG stories usually go one of two ways:

1) "The local fudd shop had a rack of PMAGs for $10 each. I bought ALL of them. What a bunch of dumbasses, I got the deal of the year, don't they know they are going for $50 each on ar15.com?"

2) "The local fudd shop had a rack of PMAGs for $50 each. I bought none. What a bunch of dumbasses. If I wanted to pay $50 each, I'd just buy them on ar15.com."
I agree with this, I was just saying I don't buy the keeping the lights on bit.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Scenario A:

Rich lawyer type dude walks in with an American Express Platinum card with the intention of buying every pmag they have. He gets 60 pmags at $50. That's a $3000 dollar sale for about $2500'ish profit.

Scenario B:

Rich lawyer type dude walks in with an American Express Platinum card with the intention of buying every pmag they have only to find that they have a limit of 4. He buys the 4 for and gets them for $80.

Yes the profit is far smaller but that means that 14 more customers buying pmags are going to be exposed to whatever else he sells, what other items might they pick up? How many of those 14 customers will remember that they didn't jump off into the mania and return many times for later purchases because they didn't?

As for me I just won't buy an item from them if their price is ridiculous. I appreciate having a brick and mortar store to go to, there are far too few to pick from these days and we need them all.

And Mike P. I might take you up on that Midway thing also...

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
HO put a limit on the mags, powder, primers and ammo to try and accommodate as many people as possible.

They do have a payroll to make this week, next month, etc. if they can't get new stock in a timely manner, what are they supposed to do? I notice the people ragging on them for belatedly raising their prices don't have such a payroll to meet this week or next month.

If it bothers you, don't buy from them. I won't show my drivers license to H&H simply to buy powder and primers, either.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have been thinking more about this sudden Increase in demand.

Is it really price gouging when prices aren't going to drop Anytime soon due to increased demand and lack of supply? Most people are buying to hoard due to fear. You can either limit quantities purchased or charge a ridiculous amount so only the idiots or someone that really needs it is willing to pay it.

I doubt anyone here would sell those extra PMags that you have stashed away for $15 each or that case of .223 for $300 right now.

I prefer the limited quantities approach as a consumer but if it was my business I would charge as much as the market would give and I would limit quantities.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
prices are going to drop. and ARs will be $600 again.

this has happened before, and will happen again.

So, the gubermint won't take our guns away?
happy-rage-guy.jpg

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
high prices only hurt until you decide to buy. Ive been telling myself to remember that. The only thing Ill say in HL's defense (and its not really defending them), is that for the last few years theyve been in business, I have to think that they have made little if any profits. I am very glad that I dont have people counting on me to give them a paycheck and have to make decisions to jack up prices like that.

that said, Mike P., I might take you up on the midway thing; Ill see what they have in stock. thanks!

Sounds good buddy. Just text me so I know what I am transporting. :)

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I have been thinking more about this sudden Increase in demand.

Is it really price gouging when prices aren't going to drop Anytime soon due to increased demand and lack of supply? Most people are buying to hoard due to fear. You can either limit quantities purchased or charge a ridiculous amount so only the idiots or someone that really needs it is willing to pay it.

I doubt anyone here would sell those extra PMags that you have stashed away for $15 each or that case of .223 for $300 right now.

I prefer the limited quantities approach as a consumer but if it was my business I would charge as much as the market would give and I would limit quantities.

Actually Jesse, when my other mags arrive Thursday(according to the UPS guys) I will be selling two Pmags for exactly $12.

I know what you all are saying and I get it. I also know that Heartland will probably lose out on 2-3K per year from me as I would rather pay a little more to support a local company than to order online. But that's ok. As Dave said, it's a free country and we are all able to shop where we want and support who we want.

It's all good!

Have a merry Christmas all and we'll see you on the range.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Nope. You can continue your support of Heartland and pay $50 :) JK. I will post them in the classifies when the time comes and the first I'll take 'me post will get em both for $12 each. That's what I paid and since I prefer GI mags and others love pmags, I will give em up.

Latest posts