Heartland Outdoors matches

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
It was the three older gentleman that always come. The other two come regularly, there was the guy that is going to be running it there too, cant remember his name, but I think he ran matches a long time ago. But ROs were discussed and seemed to be quite a few names in the hats.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
mike cyrwus said:
how many of the 6 have experience with running matches, going to matches? are certified RO's/SO's?
There are only like 6 people in OKC that have run an actual match. There were at least that many shooters that shoot this match in the uspsa RO class recently.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
There were 6 or 7 people there.
We talked about:
What kind of match it was and what kind it should be going forward, cost, what type of stages were used and what type were expected, scoring, safety briefings, RO's, setup and tear down, that it was going to need to be a group effort, all helping with setup and tear down, and if we had seen any stages we were interested in shooting to let him know our ideas and he would see if they could make them happen.
The man that is going to run the match used to shoot idpa or ipsc, I can't remember which he said. I am lousy with names and can't remember his.

Steve from Heartland seems committed to making the match happen. He said they would plan on the 3rd sunday in September being the next date, barring any major complications, and he said he wasn't expecting any of those.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Steve McGinley said:
Without the gift certificates that were given away, $20 seems too high compared to other matches that offer more stages and movement.
We talked about the gift certificates as well, Steve from HO said that the gift certificates would still be part of the match, maybe not as many of them as in the past. Nothing was set in stone at that meeting excpt that they were setting the 3rd Sunday in September as the next date barring any major complications.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Thanks for the info Jeff. I hope to be at the Sept match if it happens.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Some random thoughts:

1. This match should only cost $10/shooter
2. Probably should go back to once a month for now
3. I don’t think people come to the matches because of the gift certificates. Loose them if it is a deal breaker.
4. There needs to be AT LEAST 3-4 people committed to putting them on. 1-MD, 2-RO’s, 1-scorekeeper.
5. Scorekeepers and RO’s should always shoot for free

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
mike cyrwus said:
I hated folks shooting 2 guns; it slowed down the matches, and was an obvious money maker..
I agree two guns slows things down too much and gives those of us that shoot twice an advantage on our second run.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I was ok with $20 match fee when multiple $50 gift certificates (5 or more) were given out. I got enough of them to pay for 2/3 of a pistol I wanted and got from HO using them.

If only 1 is given out I think $15 should be max fee, if none then I think $10 would be appropriate for this range and bay size.

I agree that allowing 2 guns per shooter made the match run longer and I'd be all for making it 1 gun only.

*** Mostly I miss getting more contingency points and since Sunday nights are easier to sneak out of the house and stay married :D

Clucky C

9mm
HO/Steve Wingo, is it possible to schedule another meeting before the match? There are several of us that missed the first one. I may be willing to help set up & take down.
Thanks,
~Sandy

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Sandy said:
HO/Steve Wingo, is it possible to schedule another meeting before the match? There are several of us that missed the first one. I may be willing to help set up & take down.
Thanks,
~Sandy
You might just call him up there, I have no idea if he checks this regularly.

landshark069

Active Fanatic
The attendees at the meeting were LB, Rick V, Kenneth, Jeff T, and 2 others that, I'm sorry, I don't remember their names. Steve Wingo is planning to buy timers, target stands, IPSC targets, pasters, etc. We who attended the meeting are NOT qualified ROs. However, we have HELPED run matches in the 3 years we have attended this match. We are counting on some of the same people who attended this match in the past to help out in this new match. Hopefully, Steve can contact whoever supplied the plastic targets in the past and get new targets. He is planning on the 3rd Sunday in September as the FIRST match. Depending on how it goes the first few times, he can then determine if this can be a once or twice a month match and which Sunday would work best for us.
PLEASE contact Steve at Heartland if you have something to talk about. I think we should give him a chance to make this work. I for one like shooting in this format and HOPE we can make it work.

People, the only way this will work is if WE help out, just like we did with David E.

I don't remember discussing the cost, but I agree that it should not cost more than $10 or $15. We need to discuss that with Steve.