HD Shotgun Lights

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am a tight-wad so I went with one that clamps on the magazine tube. Any flashlight will work. Make sure you run a few rounds through it before you rely on it. Nothing would suck more than your bulb blowing out after your first shot, then everything goes black?

IMAGE_175.jpg

TroyF

TheBearcat
That's a pretty good setup, bro. I'm running a Surefire dedicated forend. I have been eyeballing those Stoeger side-by-sides with the integrated rails. I don't know why, but I just want one.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
That's a pretty good setup, bro. I'm running a Surefire dedicated forend. I have been eyeballing those Stoeger side-by-sides with the integrated rails. I don't know why, but I just want one.

I'm not going to breach anything with it but it lights up my little corner of the world

TroyF

TheBearcat
There is alot to be said for running G2s and similar lights. My Commando had a Surefire integrated light/VFG (the 900 I think?). Not alot of light for the major money you lay out. I finally settle on less is often more, and mounted a Scout light on that gun.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I certainly don't make my living with this gun but it has a role and seems to fill it nicely.

On a similar topic. Do you keep a house gun like this chamber loaded or "cruiser loaded" as some call it. Where you just rack it and go?

IMAG0339.jpg

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I always keep my shotguns cruiser safe, as well as my rifles... it's been covered on here before some do, some don't....

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Cruiser load for the shotgun.
The 1911 on the other hand is loaded full with the hammer cocked and locked.

TroyF

TheBearcat
To each his own on "cruiser safe" vs "ready to go". Personally, everything long gun I keep around is "crusier safe". But that is the way I carry my guns at work. It makes no sense, and is potentially dangerous, for me to change up my routine simply because I am home and not at work.

I think there are Pros and Cons either way. And the racking of the shotgun theory.....you can't convince me either way. In my experience, bad guys are not afraid of getting shot. Matter of fact, they will call your bluff. But you point a Taser at em, or threaten to sic a K9 on them....compliance is the norm.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep my handgun chambered, and in a Serpa, my shotgun, or AR is kept "cruiser safe" as yall are calling it. On my AR I especialy like this method of storing, for the added safety it provides with littles kids in the house.

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't put lights on my firearms. Consider if you heard a bump in the night. You grab your gun and head out to investigate. A dark shadow moves ahead of you. You point your gun in the direction of the sound. And you find your lighted gun with it's deadly muzzle pointed at your child. Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to kill. Lights on the end of a gun violate the 1st rule of gun safety...

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
And the racking of the shotgun theory.....you can't convince me either way. In my experience, bad guys are not afraid of getting shot. Matter of fact, they will call your bluff.

I tend to agree. I don't like the idea of "scaring" someone off with a particular sound.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't put lights on my firearms. Consider if you heard a bump in the night. You grab your gun and head out to investigate. A dark shadow moves ahead of you. You point your gun in the direction of the sound. And you find your lighted gun with it's deadly muzzle pointed at your child. Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to kill. Lights on the end of a gun violate the 1st rule of gun safety...

The only problem with that is that sometimes you have to break rules in order to survive. Never point a gun at something you are unwilling to destroy, but never point a light at something that might need to be killed, or that might kill you. Trust yourself, and your equipment, if you can't trust yourself enough to not accidently pull a trigger, put the trigger locks on your guns and hope the cops respond fast enough.

That may seem harsh, I speak from one single, scary experience, but thats what I know.

ChrisC

Revolver Division

the light on the gun is not the primary source of light... but have you ever had to operate a long gun while clearing a building at night? sometimes you need to have that weapon mounted light violate a safety rule...

TroyF

TheBearcat
No one ever said anything about walking around with your firearm pointed out in front of you. First, this is a bad way to clear a structure. The Sul position is the prefered method for moving with a firearms, regardless of type. The light illuminating the floor will give off plenty of light for you to navigate and investigate. The problem I have with having one hand tied up on a light is that it makes it extremely difficult to open doors, grab and secure bystanders, push innocents to the ground, or fight off an attack.

But something is missing. Being overlooked.......Trigger discipline.
I'm not condoning breaking any safety rules, but it happens. Everyone on this forum has broken a safety rule at sometime. And generally nothing bad happens. I know I'm gonna get flogged for this but I'm a big boy and I can take it.....it takes violation of 2 or more safety rules for something bad to happen. More to the point, it's all about trigger finger placement. For example, at a well-known and popular firearms training facility (quite popular on this forum) there is a drill where the instructor(s) are walking in front of students while they are practicing speed reloads. Violation of a safety rule? Perhaps. Maybe even 2 (Treat Every Firearm As If It Were Loaded and Never Point Your Firearm at Anything You Dont Want To Destroy). Guns are pointed at people. But trigger discipline rules the day. But before anyone starts pointing a finger at moi and saying I'm unsafe or advocating unsafe behavior, ask anyone who as ever shot a match with me, taken a class from me, or taken a class with me. I squad mom often. You don't get volunteered to squad mom if you are unsafe or put up with unsafe behavior.

I don't search buildings with the end of my muzzle. For me the benefits of having a hand available to be free outweigh the need to have a secondary light in my other hand. Look at it like this, when was the last time you saw any "real" footage of a Police Tactical Team or a military Special Ops Team clearing a structure with a light in their off-hand? What is the difference between them and the average Joe?

Go out, get some training. Try it both ways. Tell ya what....someone find me an empty structure that can be trashed (somewhat), and I'll bring the Simunition guns and ammo. I'll be happy to demonstrate the points I'm sure I'm stumbling over in this thread. Sims guns prove that what you SAY YOU WILL DO and WHAT YOU REALLY WILL DO are often two completely different things.

If you choose either method, that is up to you. But I would be remiss if I didn't speak as to what I think (from my experience and training). As a professional instructor, I feel obliged to share what I believe to be the best, most relevant, and current training methods and tactics available.

Having said that..........
This is my last post concerning anything of a "tactical nature". I'm tired of being second guessed by people who haven't been there, haven't done that, and are speaking in theory of which they have no real world experience.

Peace.

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
It's a personal choice I guess. In my case I would only have to reach beside me to know if my wife is there or not. No children in my household so if the wife is beside me in bed then anyone else in the place is a BG(s). And since I've got a few nightlights scattered about they provide enough illumination to not need a firearm mounted light. So if a BG is inside I'll not have a light to give him/them notice of my whereabouts. This is just my situation and the way I have prepared. :)

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
No one ever said anything about walking around with your firearm pointed out in front of you. First, this is a bad way to clear a structure. The Sul position is the prefered method for moving with a firearms, regardless of type. The light illuminating the floor will give off plenty of light for you to navigate and investigate. The problem I have with having one hand tied up on a light is that it makes it extremely difficult to open doors, grab and secure bystanders, push innocents to the ground, or fight off an attack.

But something is missing. Being overlooked.......Trigger discipline.
I'm not condoning breaking any safety rules, but it happens. Everyone on this forum has broken a safety rule at sometime. And generally nothing bad happens. I know I'm gonna get flogged for this but I'm a big boy and I can take it.....it takes violation of 2 or more safety rules for something bad to happen. More to the point, it's all about trigger finger placement. For example, at a well-known and popular firearms training facility (quite popular on this forum) there is a drill where the instructor(s) are walking in front of students while they are practicing speed reloads. Violation of a safety rule? Perhaps. Maybe even 2 (Treat Every Firearm As If It Were Loaded and Never Point Your Firearm at Anything You Dont Want To Destroy). Guns are pointed at people. But trigger discipline rules the day. But before anyone starts pointing a finger at moi and saying I'm unsafe or advocating unsafe behavior, ask anyone who as ever shot a match with me, taken a class from me, or taken a class with me. I squad mom often. You don't get volunteered to squad mom if you are unsafe or put up with unsafe behavior.

I don't search buildings with the end of my muzzle. For me the benefits of having a hand available to be free outweigh the need to have a secondary light in my other hand. Look at it like this, when was the last time you saw any "real" footage of a Police Tactical Team or a military Special Ops Team clearing a structure with a light in their off-hand? What is the difference between them and the average Joe?

Go out, get some training. Try it both ways. Tell ya what....someone find me an empty structure that can be trashed (somewhat), and I'll bring the Simunition guns and ammo. I'll be happy to demonstrate the points I'm sure I'm stumbling over in this thread. Sims guns prove that what you SAY YOU WILL DO and WHAT YOU REALLY WILL DO are often two completely different things.

If you choose either method, that is up to you. But I would be remiss if I didn't speak as to what I think (from my experience and training). As a professional instructor, I feel obliged to share what I believe to be the best, most relevant, and current training methods and tactics available.

Having said that..........
This is my last post concerning anything of a "tactical nature". I'm tired of being second guessed by people who haven't been there, haven't done that, and are speaking in theory of which they have no real world experience.

Peace.

I am thoroughly confused!!! I understand everyone has a preference and an opinion. That is the great thing about messages boards. However, I see people arguing with Troy and myself in various posts. This in and of itself is not a bad thing. However, if you do a little research on Troy and Myself you will find that we have extensive experience and training to back up our methods. We have both preformed dozens of Dynamic entries with real bad guys on the other side, hundreds of slow searches with real bad guys hiding in rooms, closets, and even a dog house or two. We have thousands of hours of training and education. We are both are experts in close quarter combat with decades of training in various martial arts. And we have both pulled the trigger in real life. There are several right ways to do anything. But, please keep this in mind. "A man with a theory will always be at the mercy to a man with experience."

ChrisC

Revolver Division
I argue with troy over his lifestyle choices but never about firearms training and tactics. He's been there and done that well more times than I have. His hat was Orange before mine was red. I also listen to tactical Charlie..... but with a little optimism

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
What mount is that burk. I need something like that on my shotty. I may go to the gunshow to see if I can pick something up on the cheap

Latest posts