Harley or Victory?

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
That Cross Country 8 Ball is wicked. I like murdered out stuff. I have been foaming over a demin black street glide. I have spoke with owners of the victory cruisers, they love them. They had one last year that had factory apes, it was beautiful.

Do what I did when i bought my new bow. I shot everyone I could think of and ended up with an Elite. Try out the bikes. If a dealership won't let you ride, then they aren't wanting to sell you one. Ride both the victory and the street glide. Let your ass make the call.
I like murdered out stuff too, the only real change I would make to the bike would be a 21 or 23 inch front wheel and higher bars to give it more of a custom look and a ridiculously loud exhaust.

stan686 said:
If some "touring" is in your sights, be sure and check out the storage space and passenger space on the bikes that you have in mind. When we were in Sturgis this past summer, we looked at the Victory's. They are awesome looking bikes, but my wife didn't like the passenger area at all. And at a glance, and that's all it was, it appeared the storage space was limited. There's not much on a HD either, but we use all there is and then some. Not bashing Victorys at all, they are cool and I will guarantee you, they will run off and leave a stock HD in their dust. Like he said earlier, check them all out and ride all you can.

Good luck on your decision.
I'm not sure how much long haul riding we'll be doing, we have a two year old and one on the way so It'll be day trips to the beach or mountains for the most part for a while. That's definitely a good heads up though.

RevoShooter said:
I hear ya not wanting something everyone else does. That's partly why I like shooting revo, haha. The plus on a victory is if I remember correctly, they run a pretty hot revtech engine from the factory. However a lightly modified new HD with fuel injection isn't a slouch for a big cruiser. They're all 100" plus these days in the big bikes, but if the Victory is what makes your heart pound and your lady doesn't mind being stuck on it, i never saw many in the shop.
I was wondering about there reliability, I just hope that by you not seeing them in the shop is a true testament to them running well and not a testament that most Victory riders aren't dedicated.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
kodlin23.jpg

This is what I had in mind, or at least something along these lines..

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, if they're still running a revtech engine, the heart of the beast has a good reputation. I don't know much about the trannies or drives on them, though.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, I thought you were talking about a touring bike not a bar hopper. Cool looking bike though. Check out Covington Customs.

dennishoddy

Bad Assed looking Machines.

I put 60K+ on my Gold Wing before selling it. Had to lay it down twice in one year to keep from being a hood ornament.

Took the hint, and went to ATV's.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
stan686 said:
Oh, I thought you were talking about a touring bike not a bar hopper. Cool looking bike though. Check out Covington Customs.
Ha! I was waiting for that, I knew someone was going to give me some heat. It'll get ridden plenty, my last 3 bikes averaged around 20k a year and I lived in North Eastern Pennsylvania with the last 2 bikes so I was only riding 8 months out of the year at best. :93:

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I have a 21" on my softail and the back is lowered 2" with a little extra rake. Nothing radical, just smooth lines. It works great in KS and Nebraska. ONce I hit curves with the heavy bag on the luggage rack, I get puched hard in corners. Friend left me in the turns on HWY 7 and 23 in Arkansas.

After that, I started shopping for a stock suspension bagger. I wish I could justify 2 Harley's, but I doubt I could convince the mrs.

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
sold my harley last fall after nearly becoming hood ornament 2x last summer. I had women cut across the front end twice like I wasn't even there. I have ridden for 25+ years without a laydown or crash. My clock was ticking.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
I have a 21" on my softail and the back is lowered 2" with a little extra rake. Nothing radical, just smooth lines. It works great in KS and Nebraska. ONce I hit curves with the heavy bag on the luggage rack, I get puched hard in corners. Friend left me in the turns on HWY 7 and 23 in Arkansas.

After that, I started shopping for a stock suspension bagger. I wish I could justify 2 Harley's, but I doubt I could convince the mrs.
21 incher too much for a daily rider in your opinion???
striped1 said:
sold my harley last fall after nearly becoming hood ornament 2x last summer. I had women cut across the front end twice like I wasn't even there. I have ridden for 25+ years without a laydown or crash. My clock was ticking.
We all know there's only two types of riders, the one's that have been down and the one's that will go down. After 25 years you've earned the right to know when to hang it up. Cheers to 25 years. I'll be a happy man if I can claim that.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
21" is fine for straight line daily driving. Looks good and doesn't follow "tar snakes". When I move to 2 miles of gravel, I think I will enjoy a fatter tire with more sidewall on a shorter wheel.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Autopsy a harley and it yeilds a few metric parts.... the turn signal are the least of it.

Cox went through a couple of baggers....he coverted to BMW and never looked back... my bike will be one also.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I had an r1200gs for a bit and loved it. They do have some issues from time to time though. Harley hardly ever had recurring frequent problems these days. If I ever get back in the street bike scene, I'm looking at the super tenere or a big ktm. Totally different scene from cruisers though.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I was in shreveport and a couple ran over a 4x4 piece of lumber on Friday, front wheel was busted but he kept the bike up. the local shop did not have the wheel in stock so they pulled a wheel off a new bike and had him on the road Saturday. That was awesome customer service.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
RevoShooter said:
Neither. I got a ktm 450 exc and a kx500. :) go big or don't go at all. Hehe
I had a CR390 Husky back in the day. Did some port work, put in a YZ400 Yamaha reed, a few other tweaks and a full Fox suspension. That thing was built like a brick shithouse. You almost couldn't keep the front wheel down.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice scott! Those old huskys were beasts. That kx500 of mine will pull a wheelie in 5th without touching the clutch. It's insane.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a Softail for a while really liked it. I went to Ft. Thunder in Moore to look at moving up to a Road King FF edition. I was interested in the 103 and the 6 speed. Salesmen in there were VERY pushy, but noting compared to the guy in the finance department. I said screw it and rode the Softail for a few more months and the guy I bought it from wanted it back and I sold it to him.

I've seen some sales videos and youtubes about the Victory and haven't seen anything negative yet.

Latest posts