Harley or Victory?

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
I rode street bikes for 6 years until last June when I looped a wheelie on the freeway, broke my tailbone and my left thumb was facing inwards along with a ton of road rash and scraped off tattoos, my gf and son saw the whole thing. I haven't been on a bike since then and definitely don't want anything to do with street bikes anymore but I've been really interested in cruisers lately, especially custom baggers. I'd love to hear thoughts, opinions as well as pros and cons of both manufacturers.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I would love if Victory had the aftermarket support that HD does. I think they both are great. The thing I hate about Victory is 1) the limitied aftermarket bolt on goodies, and 2) the turn signals they borrowed from the Metric Japanese bikes. Brother in law traded off his vegas 8 ball for a Road Glide this last year for those exact reasons. I was really impressed with the power and brakes on the Victory. They make good stuff.

I am currently looking at a 2014 Street Glide. I am letting go of my 2005 Softail Nightrain (I think) I love how low and loud it is but I am thinking hardbags and a more comfortable seat for the Mrs would be slightly better.

If I was wanting to stay in the softail family, I would look at the discontinued Cross Bones. Cousin rides one and she loves it. Her and her Hubby (dennishoddy works with him) have several and they love their Street Glide.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Not being a smart ass, but put that money into a open gun and a reloader and it will be a lot safer and funner!! Unless you already have those things?
I use to help my buddy work on drag bikes so one day we were tweaking the air shifter and messing around with some things and he come got it from my house on Saturday and died on it Sunday. I loved racing dirt bikes and street bikes but will never get on one again because of what happened to my friend.

charger arms

stan686 said:
attachicon.gif
Me and my harley.jpg

There ain't nothin like ridin up on a Harley.
Talimena Trail?

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Another con for victory, if you think Harley parts are expensive, go price victory oem parts. I remember workingfor Maxey's when i was 17-18 and pricing a 100-something dollar break lever to a guy. Also, think about which dealers you would rather put up with, and if you take long trips, which would be more likely to get you a part in an emergency.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
I would love if Victory had the aftermarket support that HD does. I think they both are great. The thing I hate about Victory is 1) the limitied aftermarket bolt on goodies, and 2) the turn signals they borrowed from the Metric Japanese bikes. Brother in law traded off his vegas 8 ball for a Road Glide this last year for those exact reasons. I was really impressed with the power and brakes on the Victory. They make good stuff.

I am currently looking at a 2014 Street Glide. I am letting go of my 2005 Softail Nightrain (I think) I love how low and loud it is but I am thinking hardbags and a more comfortable seat for the Mrs would be slightly better.

If I was wanting to stay in the softail family, I would look at the discontinued Cross Bones. Cousin rides one and she loves it. Her and her Hubby (dennishoddy works with him) have several and they love their Street Glide.
I am leaning more towards the Victory's, it seems like everyone has a Harley and for good reason I'm sure but I want something a little different than the rest. I've always been a bobber fan so I like the Victory "High ball" but I'd also like something my gf can ride comfortably as well so the "cross country 8ball" is another option.

mtnman1

Well-Known Fanatic
RevoShooter said:
Another con for victory, if you think Harley parts are expensive, go price victory oem parts. I remember workingfor Maxey's when i was 17-18 and pricing a 100-something dollar break lever to a guy. Also, think about which dealers you would rather put up with, and if you take long trips, which would be more likely to get you a part in an emergency.
I hear ya, my first bike was a Triumph Daytona 675 and because it's British and not as common parts were outrageous. It was worth it to me to have something that wasn't run of the mill.

charger arms

mtnman1 said:
I am leaning more towards the Victory's, it seems like everyone has a Harley and for good reason I'm sure but I want something a little different than the rest. I've always been a bobber fan so I like the Victory "High ball" but I'd also like something my gf can ride comfortably as well so the "cross country 8ball" is another option.
That Cross Country 8 Ball is wicked. I like murdered out stuff. I have been foaming over a demin black street glide. I have spoke with owners of the victory cruisers, they love them. They had one last year that had factory apes, it was beautiful.

Do what I did when i bought my new bow. I shot everyone I could think of and ended up with an Elite. Try out the bikes. If a dealership won't let you ride, then they aren't wanting to sell you one. Ride both the victory and the street glide. Let your ass make the call.

02Fatboy

Well-Known Fanatic
Charger Arms said:
Talimena Trail?
Talimena Drive it stretches across the very top of the Ouachita Mountains in Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas. The Byway offers 54 miles of spectacular views and incredible scenery.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
If some "touring" is in your sights, be sure and check out the storage space and passenger space on the bikes that you have in mind. When we were in Sturgis this past summer, we looked at the Victory's. They are awesome looking bikes, but my wife didn't like the passenger area at all. And at a glance, and that's all it was, it appeared the storage space was limited. There's not much on a HD either, but we use all there is and then some. Not bashing Victorys at all, they are cool and I will guarantee you, they will run off and leave a stock HD in their dust. Like he said earlier, check them all out and ride all you can.

Good luck on your decision.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear ya not wanting something everyone else does. That's partly why I like shooting revo, haha. The plus on a victory is if I remember correctly, they run a pretty hot revtech engine from the factory. However a lightly modified new HD with fuel injection isn't a slouch for a big cruiser. They're all 100" plus these days in the big bikes, but if the Victory is what makes your heart pound and your lady doesn't mind being stuck on it, i never saw many in the shop.

charger arms

Rick Honey said:
Talimena Drive it stretches across the very top of the Ouachita Mountains in Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas. The Byway offers 54 miles of spectacular views and incredible scenery.
Rode it twice so far. Last October, I rode through a cloud. It wasn't fog. When we were in Mena, you could see the clouds rolling over the mountains. It was wet, cold and freaking awesome. Rode all the way from Hot Springs to Wichita KS via OKC that day. My ass was sore after the pounding I took in I-35.

Latest posts