Hard Chrome. Who to use?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
If you had a nice 1911 not needing anything but finishing, and you wanted it hard chromed, who would you send it to?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing-prices

They did the frame on mine.

ec914141a1d6824c223a0fbc6a9c8d63.jpg

I can get a better picture if you want.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
We used to send parts from the power plant to a place in Tulsa to hard chrome. I don't remember which.
http://chromeusa.com/

http://www.swunited.com/pro_plating_chr.htm
I've had extensive dealings with SW United. They don't do guns unless it a .gov military contract. FFLs aren't required for those. ;)

Matt Washburn said:
http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing-prices

They did the frame on mine.

I can get a better picture if you want.
Looks good Matt.

How long ago was it? And how long was it gone? I'm going to have the gun, barrel and slide done and probably go with black cerakote on the trigger and all the controls.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
It was about 4 years ago but I think it was around 3 months. The guy that built mine uses them a lot and said it was worth waiting for their quality. If you have a tight slide to frame fit, hard chroming both may cause some issues. It is a pretty thick coating (up to .010 to .020). I know one guy that had a tight fit and had it chromed. When he got it back the slide would barely go on to then frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Cogan is who I was leaning towards. Them or Ford.

And it ain't that tight. It's a STI Trojan that's had some trigger work done. I think I'll do what I was planning and shoot it through the summer and send it off in the winter. I can play in PCC until it gets back.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Metaloy in Berryville Ark. is the place to go. They have the best hard chrome finish. This is where Dawson sends theirs & I'm pretty sure STI does as well.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Hmmm. Do I really like my 1911 that much? I've had it for probably 6 years and only put about 2k rounds through it.
Sept 19th is national "talk like a pirate day." If you sent in your new black powder pistol, you should have it back well before then.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
mattmiller (Robusto) said:
Sept 19th is national "talk like a pirate day." If you sent in your new black powder pistol, you should have it back well before then.
That would be pretty cool actually. Hard chrome black powder pistol would make me almost as flashy as Jesse's jeans.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Hmmm. Do I really like my 1911 that much? I've had it for probably 6 years and only put about 2k rounds through it.
2k? What????? Damn son, that is 10x what most 1911s see in a lifetime. You are abusing that thing. The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of handguns. Out dated technology, big, Heavy, clunky, exoensive to work on, expensive accessories, finicky to keep running right, designated garage/safe queen...... Need I continue? Take that $200 and go buy a Hi-Point! ;)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Rick Howell said:
2k? What????? Damn son, that is 10x what most 1911s see in a lifetime. You are abusing that thing. The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of handguns. Out dated technology, big, Heavy, clunky, exoensive to work on, expensive accessories, finicky to keep running right, designated garage/safe queen...... Need I continue? Take that $200 and go buy a Hi-Point! ;)
So You mean a timeless classic......right?

TayJ6

Active Fanatic
Hey, I've got at least a couple dozen rounds through my Kimber without a single hiccup...and it's 10 years old. The STI on the other hand only took a couple hundred rounds before the rear sight fell off.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Am I the only one who constantly reloads to actually shoot? WTF? I must be doing things all wrong.
I don't constantly reload, but I load a bit when I do. My ammo bucket is getting low so I'd better get after it.

fed05680ca2c617107266f20350bcc8d.jpg

Latest posts