Handguards

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm hoping to purchase a new upper soon, and trying to figure out the best use of limited funds. If I understand it correctly, the DPMS carbon fiber can't readily be removed, or once it is, reused; so I'm thinking it may not be a good use of money now. Would I be better off just getting a typical aluminum free float tube, then saving for either a Loki or AP CF tube, or Troy TRX Extreme? Since I could remove the aluminum free float and sell it later where I couldn't with the DPMS CF?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I had the same dilemma, but now that I've got a floated handguard/barrel, the only reason I can ever see removing it is to put on a round carbon fiber tube. Which I may never do. Or I may also want to remove it if I shoot in the rain and need to displace some moisture under the handguard. Haven't had the AR out in the rain yet since I put the new handguard on.

Also, my handguard now is aluminum, but it's a quad rail with TONS of ports for air flow, in addition to being fairly large in diameter compared to a CF guard. It hasn't been too hot to hold, and hasn't really even been more than slightly warm after maybe 150 rounds of continuous shooting.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear ya Matt, but that could be a while.

Mitch, IIRC, you have the YHM Diamond HG now? That's what's on my current upper, but I'm wanting to move to something lighter.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Loki also has a nice aluminum handguard for around ?100 but I'm not sure of the weight compared to the troy or CF

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Call Aaron at AP customs. Tell him your going to do a review of his handguard for OSA. He will hook you up! Whatever you do don't tell him you know me though!

Chambers

actual GM
A lot of ass has been kicked by the 12" DPMS handgaurd over the years.

If you're wanting the 15" flavor the extra 3 inches is nice but there are much higher priorities! Bang for buck, gimme the DPMS.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Mitch, IIRC, you have the YHM Diamond HG now? That's what's on my current upper, but I'm wanting to move to something lighter.
You are correct. But for a long time I eye-balled the less expensive glue-the-guard-to-the-barrel-nut tubes. The lack of air flow ports deterred me, but I never asked anyone with experience, in a notably bad decision-making move.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
You are correct. But for a long time I eye-balled the less expensive glue-the-guard-to-the-barrel-nut tubes. The lack of air flow ports deterred me, but I never asked anyone with experience, in a notably bad decision-making move.

I don't think anyone has had any trouble with the solid tube carbon fiber bechase of a lack of airflow. They do get hot in the sun though.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The Nordic XL is a great option as well, and for the cost it's hard to beat.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like I'll do the DPMS CF tube.

I have a mill at work, so if I get to feeling tinkery, I can put some vents in it later.

Chambers

actual GM
The upper I built that my amigo Rusty is shooting has a clark tube on it that got hot enough to partially melt/distort. Not a functional issue at all, purely cosmetic.

It's a mid gas gun with a rifle tube (gas block under the guard). It was well over a hundred degrees out and the rifle got about 120 rounds down it in 5 minutes or so.

I post this just to say...don't worry about the vents. If it really bothers you, drill some holes.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
The upper I built that my amigo Rusty is shooting has a clark tube on it that got hot enough to partially melt/distort. Not a functional issue at all, purely cosmetic.

It's a mid gas gun with a rifle tube (gas block under the guard). It was well over a hundred degrees out and the rifle got about 120 rounds down it in 5 minutes or so.

I post this just to say...don't worry about the vents. If it really bothers you, drill some holes.

The resin in this handgaurd softened a bit and now has the impression of my rifle case on it. lol. It was very hot out and there were 3 of us running the rifle. Chambers did a great job building this upper and it gets the **** shot out of it! No worries about the CF hand gaurd...

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic

Good deal. I'm not worried about the vents, hence my comment about I can put them in if I want 'em. My concern was if the tube was worth it in the first place.

Rusty, so the moral of the story would be to bring an old towel to put over the gun when not in use during the summer?

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Yes, definitely paint it or cover it or both. Sit it under some shade when you're not using it. The black carbon fiber gets ridiculously hot just from the sun.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Good deal. I'm not worried about the vents, hence my comment about I can put them in if I want 'em. My concern was if the tube was worth it in the first place.

Rusty, so the moral of the story would be to bring an old towel to put over the gun when not in use during the summer?

Having something to cover the rifle with rather than leaving it in the sun all day is a great idea. Some matches in the summer time end up being really dusty and windy as well, which is another great reason to keep your guns covered up. I've gotten into the habit of bagging my guns as often as possible at matches.

Latest posts