Gun Turn-in/ Buyback event in Sumter

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
At one of these sales, how do you tell if the weapon you are about to purchase isn't stolen, or is this not one of those 'No questions asked' sales?

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
It is very much caveat emptor.

I imagine you'd want to look for people selling guns of deceased grandpas etc rather than possible gangbangers. How you'd tell the difference in some cases would be difficult.

I wish I could go - I'm sure a lot of weapons in my interest range would be turned in - war trophies tend to sit in someone's attic until an estate sale or something like this.

Dean Weingarten

Fanatic
If anyone goes to the Sumter event, please take some pictures. A few notes would be nice as well.

I would love to write up an eyewitness account and publish it.

I wrote the Gunwatch article and run the Gun Watch blog.

Dean Weingarten

[email protected]

LuckyStrike

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to PSF, Dean!
I noticed your blog link on a THR thread and passed it on here, with your permission subscript. First I had seen of your blog site, keep up the good work.

Good bunch of folk here, stick around!

Dean Weingarten

Fanatic
Thanks for posting the link. Getting around the old media and building new media is what we need to do to preserve the Republic, iMHO.

One of the things I have been concentrating on is stories about these gun turn in events (erroneously called buy backs), where private buyers compete with the "official" event.

The story that emerges from an eyewitness account is usually quite differnent than what is published in the paper the next day.

I hope that you have good luck at the event.

dreamerofdreams

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, we didn't get anything but the cops didn't get much either. They actually had to close up shop early at the one location due to running out of gift cards... thanks in part to a dealer who dropped off a load of useless, worthless stuff and got all the $$$. Talked to someone else who had staked out the other location and it didn't seem much different.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
DreamerOfDreams and I headed down to the Alice drive location. We showed up around 1030-1100 ish and set up across the street with some folding chairs and signs. We were pretty far from the location and only able to really make eye contact with folks turning into one of two entrances. I showed up with my C&R FFL and bound book -- I understand nothing needed for private sales but figured it wouldn't hurt if we got hassled or if a "mom demanding action" started squealing about BACKGROUND CHECKS.

No takers on our cash offers. We did run into a few pro-gun folks, some in cars just shouting support and some who parked to come and talk. I'd say about 80% of the "customers" were old white folks in nice cars, so I don't think the gang banger demographic was showing up.

No hassles from the PD. At one point, two cruisers pulled into the gas station 50 yards down the way and hung out for awhile, and the cops at the turn-in site gave us a funny look for a bit. I suppose one of the "pro gun" folks could have been an undercover but I wouldn't bet on it.

One of the pro-gun folks was a gunsmith & FFL. He apparently showed up right when the buyback opened and turned in a half dozen or so complete POS parts guns. The cops thus ran out of gift cards way early. We packed it in around 1230, and the cops were wrapping it up too.

We checked out the cop's stack of guns collected as of around 1230 and it was unimpressive. There was on Mosin-Nagant M44, a decent-condition colt revolver, a parts gun that would be worth some $$$ to the right buyer, and other than that all POS single shot .22s and such. It looked like there was one sawed off shotgun. I had a brief chat with the cop (a LT). He confirmed that the guns will be destroyed by SLED. I identified myself as a collector and expressed my dismay that historic guns would be destroyed and he actually agreed; he collects Civil War stuff so understood the historic value. I gave him a printout of information (scientific studies, peer reviewed, cited) stating that gun buybacks are useless and left. It looked like the cops weren't thrilled to be there.

I plan on writing a letter to The Item to counter the expected propaganda article. No media showed at Alice drive, but I heard from another pro-2A person that media showed at the other site. All in all not a bad way to spend two hours or so.

Dean Weingarten

Fanatic
Thanks for the report. Any chance of a picture of the few guns they had turned in?

I read from another source that the took in 35 guns total.

About how many private buyers showed up? It sounds as if there were at least three.

dreamerofdreams

Well-Known Fanatic
We didn't get any photos but WISTV has some video footage.

We met another gentleman who had staked out the second location. We were also told that one or two other groups of private buyers had been at our location earlier but had been set up on private property and asked to leave.

Latest posts