Gun Cleaning After Shooting in the Rain

After Shooting a match in the rain, when do you clean your gun?

• Total voters

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
After you shoot a match in the rain all day, when do you clean your gun and gear?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'll at the very least give it a thorough wipe down & good oiling to remove all of the moisture before putting it in the safe.

dennishoddy

My rifle was so nasty today that it was embarrassing. Been covered in dust for two weeks now with daily rides across a pasture on an ATV, rifle slung across my back.
This morning in the drizzle, it was a mix of the water and dust just under the wet surface created a nasty mess.
Coming out this evening, pure mud off the tires coated everything.
Actually took a garden hose to it when getting home tonight. Broke it down, and cleaned. I'm a big fan of silicon spray. Gave it a bath in silicon, and put it the safe with the golden rod.
Rinse and repeat in the morning.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd wipe it down in the truck before I head home. Then detail clean it at the house.

My open guns cost too much money to risk letting them rust up. Plus its probably past due for a good cleaning.

And if shooing in the rain gets to be a habit, I'll probably switch to a Glock. If it gets soaked just keep it in a zip-lock bag so it don't get anything else in my range bag wet.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
dennishoddy said:
My rifle was so nasty today that it was embarrassing. Been covered in dust for two weeks now with daily rides across a pasture on an ATV, rifle slung across my back.
This morning in the drizzle, it was a mix of the water and dust just under the wet surface created a nasty mess.
Coming out this evening, pure mud off the tires coated everything.
Actually took a garden hose to it when getting home tonight. Broke it down, and cleaned. I'm a big fan of silicon spray. Gave it a bath in silicon, and put it the safe with the golden rod.
Rinse and repeat in the morning.
You need an AK and a video of you pissing on it to clean it.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Wipe off any moisture. Spray exterior with aerosolized oil when I get home after match. And a couple shots up the magwell if my mags were wet on their exterior, like today. The inside is always well oiled and of no concern. I also clean the mags and oil them if necessary.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Why not? I use it to get rid of the water then lube it up with oil.
It gets in FP & extractor tunnels and turns to glue kinda like frog lube. It also does well at removing rust but it plain sucks at preventing it. I'd use it if it's all I had but once the water is gone the WD needs to get gone at 1st convienience.

dennishoddy

Definitely Deplorable said:
It gets in FP & extractor tunnels and turns to glue kinda like frog lube. It also does well at removing rust but it plain sucks at preventing it. I'd use it if it's all I had but once the water is gone the WD needs to get gone at 1st convienience.
Cold weather it really turns into glue.

Latest posts