Gun Boxes and Resale value

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
So I have all of the boxes my guns came in, they are stacked in the corner of the garage. I would like to clean the garage up a bit. If I did that I might be able to enjoy it more...maybe.

However, I'm trying to clean the garage up, and I'm not sure what to do with them. The guns are locked up, and not in the boxes now.
I was considered selling some of my more expensive shotguns or items I just don't quite enjoy as much so do the boxes help with resale value of the guns?

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
So I have all of the boxes my guns came in, they are stacked in the corner of the garage. I would like to clean the garage up a bit. If I did that I might be able to enjoy it more...maybe.

However, I'm trying to clean the garage up, and I'm not sure what to do with them. The guns are locked up, and not in the boxes now.
I was considered selling some of my more expensive shotguns or items I just don't quite enjoy as much so do the boxes help with resale value of the guns?
A lot people place a value on boxes . They definitely effect resale , especially in handgun market .

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Yeah, I'll keep my handgun cases. Might get rid of these shotgun cases.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
More and more people ask about box or case/documents/tools with guns. If it doesn't raise the value it does make it a bit easier to sell when you can offer the package.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I will be selling a Para TAC 4 45acp shortly if I can find the box I will up my price $50 plus 5 or so factory 13 shot mags will list soon.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand your dillema @Blackbeard. I have nearly all my long gun boxes, except family heirloom items, and they do take up some space. Currently they are stacked in attic of garage. Not sure it increases value much on long guns, but handgun owners are a bit different. We want box, docs, tools, etc

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I have a benelli M4 box, and then some other boxes like Marlin 60 boxes...kind of leaning towards getting rid of anything that was sub $400.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed, for me a fairly priced firearm, that I want, would be purchased box or not

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
it is true..that firearm sold with the box they came in sell faster & for higher prices..
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me..but can't deny it. The condition of the gun is of much greater importance, IMO.
I do have a bunch of firearms boxes in the rafters of my garage though.
Sold 3 guns in the past few months.. 2 rifles & a shotgun. Got a good price for them, all looked like new, despite all being . >15 yrs old.
Only had the box for the shotgun (Ruger Red Label 20g.)

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Same dilemma here, boxes and boxes, I personally don't want the box if looking at buying pistol, condition what I'm looking at, box just something that gets in the way, I sold a Ruger Security Six, great condition, no box, pd 350 for it and sold on Gunbroker for 665, don't know if box would have helped, got a beautiful Colt SAA nickel on there now, I'm sure box would help with it but still expect it to bring way more than I paid for it, rambling a little but I personally don't care if has box but lots of folks do

plotter99

New Fanatic
I don't have that dilemma, I throw away the cardboard boxes and only keep the hard shell ones. I'm getting to the point I might just take the box of plastic cases over to goodwill. Of course I have never sold any gun I purchased so there's that.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." sold a Ruger Security Six, great condition, no box, pd 350 for it and sold on Gunbroker for 665.."
Those security 6's were very well made revolvers.. had a couple, in 2 3/4" & 6" barrel lengths.
Bought them @ closeout prices, when they were discontinued, the GP100 taking their place.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes excellent revolvers and exactly what I did, replaced with GP100, hardly ever shoots it but I do like revolvers, been thinking about replacing it with Redhawk but it's up to $1325.00 on Gunbroker, tank of a revolver, 2.75 inch barrel, just like the way it looks but would have to sell GP100 and my Vaquero, just can't justify

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Though my 6" Security 6 has a trigger job, done by a college classmate ( that wanted to practice his trigger work skills), it's
the only revolver I've owned that has a trigger comparable to the triggers on my S&W revolvers.
I've shot that Ruger more than any revolver I own ( which also may account for the smooth trigger)
I've got a Vaquero in 44 mag, as well as a S&W29 & 629.. I like shooting revolvers..but not cleaning them.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not sure it matters . I never even Think about it unless I was looking for a collector piece.

if it's for a rifle or shotgun , and is a hard case, I'd hang on to that . Anything cardboard and foam, I'd likely pitch it .

I never use my pistol boxes or cases .

I don't think it makes a difference in value whether or not you have them for non collector items .

Panchito

New Fanatic

Dave

Fanatic
For me, it matters....sort of just gives me a feel that the gun was taken care of...if the owner felt keeping it all in tact was the way to go. I've sold guns where the buyer didn't even want the box...so I kept them and sold them off. So, if you do get rid of them, I'd look into selling them...I have gotten $15-25 for various plastic pistol boxes. I've also bought cheap boxes in the past in the event I got one without a box...mostly on the pistol front. But, I do like to put pistols in boxes when I stack them in the safes. For rifles, less of a concern. I do put mine in the attic...but not overly concerned if a mouse makes it his home.

Rockymtnman

Fanatic
I have kept some of my boxes and glad I did. After being transferred across the country 6 or 7 times my wife wanted to get rid of them and I conceded on some. When I looked at the ones to keep I also found in my original box the original grips for my 1978 Colt Python 4". When I checked on prices if I wanted to sell, the box and grips added $400 to the price. Heck I could have used that to buy a plastic fantastic, but no way!

Latest posts