Grow your own?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Paw Paws or the poor man's banana

For the first time I actually have some small growing fruit on some seedling paw paw trees. It is one of the most troublesome trees to get to fruit and many use paint brushes to pollinate or hang road kill on them to attract the proper insects. Honey bees do not pollinate, but diverse other flying critters do.
It is not much, but after years of nothing it is great. Only change was I let in a little more sun light. They need some shade when young, but total shade is not so good either it seems.
There was a wind blowing that blurred the pictures. There are still no guarantees that I will harvest anything since many of the critters love them.
In the midwest and Appalachian parts of the country they fed the indigenous, black, and poor white peoples for generations.

1682279109904.png
1682279188954.png

Asimina triloba
1682279418646.png

dennishoddy

Finding sources of protein should be Job #1 & killing cats dogs, deer even Bugs, should not be something we should be bothered by.
Mankind overtime has used animals for food. What's changed? I'm sure some multi hair colored snowflake will start a movement to save bugs if we start eating them. o_O When your family is hungry any game, is fair game.

I grew up overseas going to farmers markets aka. Mercados. I saw everything that flew, swam or walked for sale to eat.
Blood was not wasted but consumed as Protein & every plant that could be eaten was sold for human consumption.

When you are in a survival situation, Bugs will save you life & that's what you hunt first. A lot of BS being spread about eating bugs.

I've spent a lot of time overseas and down south in the markets. Ate most of what they put out there as long as it's fried, from crickets to snake, to whatever.
Our deer population in parts of Oklahoma, my part in particular are having issues with too many deer. They are overpopulated and eating themselves out of house and home. If there are crops in a field, none survive close to the woods because they are browsed to the ground by the deer. Traffic accidents with them are common. We have had one vehicle totaled by a deer hit, along with a large portion of the folks that live in these rural communities.
Our farms adjoin another very large farm of over 12,000 acres. The biologists at the wildlife department have asked us to help reduce the population by hunting.
In the 14 years since we started the Wildlife Management Control, we have taken well over 700 deer off these properties a little less than half by myself.
If not for personal use, the animals are given to families in need through another program called Hunters Feeding the Hungry. None go to waste.
In the 14 years of taking these deer off the land, we have not even dented the population. They breed like rabbits, so with the great food they are getting from the agriculture in the area as well as the climate being somewhat temperate, they continue to grow in numbers.
With those numbers, the diseases that can hurt them are more easily spread, like blue tongue or CWD.
I'm getting older now, and the days of hunting and trying to help control that population explosion are getting shorter.
My kids don't live nearby to help although their freezers are kept full every year with the deer harvest.
Eventually mother nature will take care of the situation herself.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
each one is a from a different mulberry tree
346037494_767177171730131_1587854154603876516_n.jpg

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Of several face book pages devoted to fruit trees, the mulberry page seems to have the most posts because mulberries are grown in many tropical areas and in the old world to about the north equivalent of southern Canada. We gets from the Philippines in local language, Ukraine, Russia, India, and Pakistan. In northern india and pakistan the name is usually like Shahtoot.
The Himalayan Purple Mulberry, native to South Asia, is often called the "Pakistani Mulberry," or shahtoot in Persian, meaning "fit for royalty." The versatile and drought resistant mulberry plant produces these delectable and nutrient-rich berries, that have a characteristic deep purple color.
Shah has to do with king or royalty and toot means berry is my understanding of the word.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Our mulberry tree fruit is still green and about the size of a pea. Another month before getting ripe.
The birds have already robbed the berries off of many of my early bearing trees. My native red muberries and hydrids of them will be bearing in a little while. I am zone 8b northwest Florida. Further north the trees are seasonally later.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

The birds have already robbed the berries off of many of my early bearing trees. My native red muberries and hydrids of them will be bearing in a little while. I am zone 8b northwest Florida. Further north the trees are seasonally later.
I dread the day when the mulberries get ripe. The birds feast on them and our vehicles suffer even though we are 1/4 mile away.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I dread the day when the mulberries get ripe. The birds feast on them and our vehicles suffer even though we are 1/4 mile away.
My are planted near someone else's property and not yet bearing as heavily do mature trees.
Below a heavy yield from mature trees off facebook. Some where I have an old russian bumble bee druse bb gun that is semi-auto.
1684128382437.png

The MP-661K "Drozd"[1] is Russian-made BB pistol and rifle.

Options

The MP661K is best known for being one of the few (if only) select-fire BB guns and can fire single, three-round, and six-round bursts - although in some markets, such as the United Kingdom, only semi-auto is available.

Last edited:

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Paw Paws or the poor man's banana

For the first time I actually have some small growing fruit on some seedling paw paw trees. It is one of the most troublesome trees to get to fruit and many use paint brushes to pollinate or hang road kill on them to attract the proper insects. Honey bees do not pollinate, but diverse other flying critters do.
It is not much, but after years of nothing it is great. Only change was I let in a little more sun light. They need some shade when young, but total shade is not so good either it seems.
There was a wind blowing that blurred the pictures. There are still no guarantees that I will harvest anything since many of the critters love them.
In the midwest and Appalachian parts of the country they fed the indigenous, black, and poor white peoples for generations.

View attachment 31055
View attachment 31056

Asimina triloba
View attachment 31057
How to eat paw paws

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Bamboo groves can be of use. I was trying how to figure how to exterminate some and this fellow has convinced to plant a variety that has good timber and is good eating when young. Must leave a clear area for mowing around it equal to the max ht of your bamboo species.
I will plant the flute makers variety is my thinking. I live in zone 8b

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Taken June 2nd of the wall of Brandywine tomato's & in front is Jalapeño, Guajillo, Poblano, & Lesya peppers the sweet & mild ones.

1688830420522.png

Today the Brandywines are over the top & loaded. The peppers are loaded with pods all headed for frozen Stuffed peppers. The Hots are doing well & are loaded for this time of year. ;)
1688830647148.png

Two of the Hot peppers Jigsaw not the gator jigsaw is a variegated leaf, purple flowered plant with purple pods turning red HOT.
1688831226008.png

This is the trepadeira Werner looks like a cherry taste like a berry. The ol lady watched the women @ hippy seed co .com who ate an unripe yellow one & said it was milder than the red ones. Then I watched her take a bite from one of these & salivate like a waterfall, then she says it was fruity then it started to burn like hell. Want a bite she asks? :rolleyes:
1688831358014.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Taken June 2nd of the wall of Brandywine tomato's & in front is Jalapeño, Guajillo, Poblano, & Lesya peppers the sweet & mild ones.

View attachment 31689

Today the Brandywines are over the top & loaded. The peppers are loaded with pods all headed for frozen Stuffed peppers. The Hots are doing well & are loaded for this time of year. ;)
View attachment 31690

Two of the Hot peppers Jigsaw not the gator jigsaw is a variegated leaf, purple flowered plant with purple pods turning red HOT.
View attachment 31691

This is the trepadeira Werner looks like a cherry taste like a berry. The ol lady watched the women @ hippy seed co .com who ate an unripe yellow one & said it was milder than the red ones. Then I watched her take a bite from one of these & salivate like a waterfall, then she says it was fruity then it started to burn like hell. Want a bite she asks? :rolleyes:
View attachment 31692
Holy Murphy Mike, that's wonderful!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have an eye on a nice Brandywine tomato for the first Mater sandwich of the year. ;)

The mild peppers are away from the hots to prevent sweets getting hot crossing with each other.

Hungry Animation GIF by Holler Studios

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an eye on a nice Brandywine tomato for the first Mater sandwich of the year. ;)

The mild peppers are away from the hots to prevent sweets getting hot crossing with each other.

Hungry Animation GIF by Holler Studios
Seems you are also saving and storing your seeds. Like milder peppers myself, but as I am getting older I am able to stand a little more hot. My father used to eat those tiny really hot green ones that came in a jar like they were sweet pickles.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Seems you are also saving and storing your seeds.
As many as we can get.
I said to the wife that we save seed from everything, yet we still dream over new things to grow every new season.

Hot peppers are about taste & spice, like the scotch bonnet & the many Aji peppers from south America.

Just hot alone is never enough, it's the fruity flavors that you like first then the spice.
It should come as no surprise that many people get pain relief & a nice buzz from eating hot peppers.

This is the Lesya pepper from Ukraine it is a very sweet large pepper, check out those thick walls Makes a great stuffer. ;)
1688898610408.png

One mornings pick last season & we were working on peppers damn near to Christmas. It was a spicy new year.

1688898942473.png
Yet we still dream over new things to grow every new season.
1688899582486.png

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
These peppers spent last winter in the basement & are weeks beyond all the seedling peppers.
1689035413374.png

The 2 year old's are loaded.
1689035549977.png
1689035637569.png

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Last edited: