Grow your own?

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I live also in very small valley with a hard pan with water running down to the creek wetlands both above and below ground Picture of part of what I own that comes out to a little over 8 acres in northwest florida. I keep taking down trees for more sunlight.

1669929146244.png
Below are my 4 producing chestnut trees

1669929440770.png

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Just found this on Rumble.

Today as in past Mountain folks in NC have grown food in the winter.
They would dig trenches on a south facing hill & plant their crops in the bottom of the trench 12' to 16' deep.

In past wood or Mica sheets were used to protect the plants from freeze injury, today Plastic film, glass, fiberglass works
really well. Point is no mater how old we are, we must control most of our food from now on. Stock piles go stale & are not
renewable like growing your own.

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Time to order your next seasons seeds & plants.

Where do you buy your seeds, plants & trees from?

Buy once , save your seeds & then trade your seeds for others.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Time to order your next seasons seeds & plants.

Where do you buy your seeds, plants & trees from?

Buy once , save your seeds & then trade your seeds for others.
For fruit trees buy trees that are compatible with your climate. I and everyone that I know has not been pleased with dealing with Ty Ty.
I being in the deep south make sure that my minimal chill hours for an 8b that is almost 9a is enough for purchased trees to set fruit. Make sure that the trees are resistant to the local diseases.
For what you plant, often the more established old tyme seed and feed stores will sell what grows well for your area. The hardest veggie for me to grow are tomatoes. But it is doable if you pick the tomatoes and have good soil. Better in pots or off the ground. When I was growing up in the midwest tomatoes were easy, but here in northwest florida that is not so for some reason. Often an organic backyard plant grower can you sell you what does well here.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It's that time of the season after all those hours of drooling over those seeds books. You must start your seeds NOW. :p
Time to start all those plants that will feed you & your family next winter. My favorite time of the year, speeding twared spring time.

This year we have changed out our two 8' foot fluorescent lights for 2 LED lights.

A 2' x 4' heating mat : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EMXI6VA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

All soil for flats & pellets is made from Coco Coir & pearlite, nothing yummy for Soil born grubs to eat.

Just a note. These 2 LED lights provide more usable light in a 2'x4' space than any fluorescent light bulb can muster The fluorescents have to be right down 3" from the tops of the baby plants.

The LED lights are 14" above the seed & the lights are set to 50% :eek: any lower & a higher light percentage, will burn the seedlings.
Hows that for light power?

8xSJc09nHVI1-_1AsrR1k0eYkGctR6j1Tegdgci6wGzkLz-1QqObqbrnyQXRmX2sdHh81yfCYVa7UrYrUEkkB-WltPHQKl2bPz5lYtKJJOpPQqeEJzv_wRtou3kA7iEicnlO--cbC2RWJK6MnHErPqzkHqeOR9phzltPBgKJ8igZdvZRsKWnQkBOxr5wK-42SDP_m9MDmQ3q_Zql77p7kl3vaz3PHzveRNuDBQRLtAIDeP-2uatnq0Vf2WhK1byxvrJwh88g4R6VL-BGzXjFdfr2GTA5aOUZjgZHdI2dm-PchZOZaf6HK629HwnS3Y1GycxZ46xa5Ye0u6bQkh8BR72QNFp9ycpjFadLpD5d8U8vEteRt5Riw9qU4kSaraI5LvNOC2t9HDVAJpXZIvHETCLDfZzMWwoA5_Q5J8hciIBXCj8jQWUsm8t1n0KXUfjKQX3wOT0UZdTuBJY3qT2vArE0lMhZTyYxdd4Apwdzo33jZYO1JVnBeNfr-fzGsXarm2GdDuOHdfR8cRbG0mGookG3-TZlWqBqFP4vKw9c6-95U4GWy5T8TGiWKtESYjvsutaltQRaVb4ORq0ClDbEdChwX1lBQTUxXLT-c97qcUVUL9d5Ya5xQxm2jGUP9r33a6txeiv1SRT9BrB9Zz6n_wz_vdc1YpTKkQFnkJmuUtznDkCQxjr_hj2pzlsTqWgaqrzy-yfmuSO83xfkGkdtko4AB4HU-onFw6W-SeqIPHF2pslXB5k0F2u46ggTI5iXPzZ7vjOpzNuScWG4XiVzoVCCATJYXWk0uTYZiZ-E3DOKiHuX9giSs9o2mycnnFF6VKMUCycuYwqYU4YFbN_90zy5eGzV50IkowE-yuSqdbS-xQmnE14YLrrADVoREKIziMAaFCJfaNwfb9lc2ngQh3g_O52qHfHoXENtd2yFfI0T9Q=w1343-h1007-no

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I planted some cassava today as an experiment and a Pakistan mulberry. I was checking on freeze and recovery of my citrus here in northwest Florida.
Below photos of cassava
View attachment 30652

View attachment 30653
Yuca a root I grew up on, instead of potatoes.
My introduction to European taters was in OD cans, with US Army powered potatoes. o_O Yuca will do just fine, when I'm out of rice LOL.

dennishoddy

I miss growing a garden, but we spend so much time running around America in our RV that it's not an option anymore. The Asparagus patch still produces in the spring and early summer, but it's typically picked by friends now. It's 32 years old with Jersey Giant variety that puts out three or 4, 5 gallon buckets of asparagus a year. Used to donate most of it to the Senior Center every year for their daily meals when we were home.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Fruit trees are blooming and the flies are biting in northwest Florida. I did a little grafting a while ago. Some of the mulberries are almost ripe. The snakes have been crawling around also so I guess we are well into spring.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
We may get a light monday morning in NW FL. I will cover two newly rooted mulberry cuttings with a bucket in one case and with a plastic garbage can in another case.
1679146787197.png

Latest posts