Grow your own?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad your OK. ;)
Last night:
Two people have died in central Alabama after a tornado struck Montgomery County overnight, officials said. At least 29 tornadoes have touched down in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

Montgomery Fire Rescue saved one person and extricated two bodies from the Alabama home. Another person has been hospitalized, officials said.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Last night:
Two people have died in central Alabama after a tornado struck Montgomery County overnight, officials said. At least 29 tornadoes have touched down in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

Montgomery Fire Rescue saved one person and extricated two bodies from the Alabama home. Another person has been hospitalized, officials said.

That was a wicked storm front.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I am learning a bunch from the two of you. Thank you very much. We are in West Mi. so our growing season is different from yours. Stay safe.
Well after growing plants most of my life, I feel like I'm starting to get it LOL.
I lived on Guam at 15 & 16, a perfect lovely coral island without GRASS.

The Old man had a passion for all things tropical so I got to Pick ax Holes in the coral for his Boonie plants.
Yes I have learned how to grow plants & that I hate Mowing grass with a push reel mower or any other damn mower.

The answer buy your wife a Scag.
1669841942956.png

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Well after growing plants most of my life, I feel like I'm starting to get it LOL.
I lived on Guam at 15 & 16, a perfect lovely coral island without GRASS.

The Old man had a passion for all things tropical so I got to Pick ax Holes in the coral for his Boonie plants.
Yes I have learned how to grow plants & that I hate Mowing grass with a push reel mower or any other damn mower.

The answer buy your wife a Scag.
View attachment 29466
One of my teachers about I think the 6th or 7th grade describe landing on a coral atoll during WWII. It was completely made of coral and it was impossible to dig a fox hole on it. In about three days their clothing was ripped to shreds.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
One of my teachers about I think the 6th or 7th grade describe landing on a coral atoll during WWII. It was completely made of coral and it was impossible to dig a fox hole on it. In about three days their clothing was ripped to shreds.
Well when you building a man, the ol man would use the reel type mowers as a tool. You give your recruit a Pick ax & a spud bar & lots of time in the tropical sun to get a great tan.
My off time was spent riding the waves on the dock of the bay.
1669856095936.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Those folks were, and will always remain, the greatest generation. Not to take anything away from our founding fathers, and all the Patriots who have sacrificed everything for this blessed country. I think maybe there may be room at the top for more than just one generation after all, and I stand corrected. We have been truly blessed throughout our entire history with truly heroic people, who did the right thing. I am very thankful to Almighty God, who has given us such wonderful hero's. Stay safe all, I'm proud to be a part of this group. Thank you.

dennishoddy

Speaking of fires, we have huge fires here in Oklahoma. Back in the 90's we had the million acre fire that started from a thrown cigarette along a highway that started a pasture fire originating in North Central Oklahoma, traveling 45 miles into Kansas being almost 10 miles wide at one time.
It ran along some of the biggest cattle ranches in the country. Donaldson, 40,000 acres, Drummond, 250,000 acres, and Chapman Barnard ranch that was in the 40,000 acre range, not including the ranches in Kansas.
I was on a team of cowboys on horseback running at full speed ahead of the fire to cut fences so cattle and horses could get away from the fire but it outran us. Buddy and I ran the horses into a pond, ducking under the water as the fire rolled over us and moved on, estimated to be moving at over 50 mph.
Horse's manes were on fire, so we got those out, and rode around seeing dozens of dead cattle, horses, wildlife and so on.
Our horses survived their burns, but were pretty much worthless after that. Every time they smelled smoke they went a little nuts.
Fought many pasture fires around here with volunteers carrying a bucket of water and a burlap sack to beat out the flames on the fireline in places firefighting equipment can't get.
Everyone looks out for each other around here even if you don't like your neighbor. All that goes out the window when fires happen.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Speaking of fires, we have huge fires here in Oklahoma. Back in the 90's we had the million acre fire that started from a thrown cigarette along a highway that started a pasture fire originating in North Central Oklahoma, traveling 45 miles into Kansas being almost 10 miles wide at one time.
It ran along some of the biggest cattle ranches in the country. Donaldson, 40,000 acres, Drummond, 250,000 acres, and Chapman Barnard ranch that was in the 40,000 acre range, not including the ranches in Kansas.
I was on a team of cowboys on horseback running at full speed ahead of the fire to cut fences so cattle and horses could get away from the fire but it outran us. Buddy and I ran the horses into a pond, ducking under the water as the fire rolled over us and moved on, estimated to be moving at over 50 mph.
Horse's manes were on fire, so we got those out, and rode around seeing dozens of dead cattle, horses, wildlife and so on.
Our horses survived their burns, but were pretty much worthless after that. Every time they smelled smoke they went a little nuts.
Fought many pasture fires around here with volunteers carrying a bucket of water and a burlap sack to beat out the flames on the fireline in places firefighting equipment can't get.
Everyone looks out for each other around here even if you don't like your neighbor. All that goes out the window when fires happen.
Sounds like a wonderful place to live. I'm happy for you.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you grow organic?
Because if you do, I have some important information that will change the game for Organic growers.
Most often I do nothing, except treat for obvious diseases. But I am mainly doing fruit trees now and if they can get enough sun and we do not have a terrible drought, they do well enough. The soil has actually gotten better over the last 30 yrs since I purchased my 8 acres. Previously it had been regularly burned as is done for most southern forest that is usually done on a three year cycle here. That is no longer done and the land is not longer clear cut. I found the original top soil down the slope in my creek bed. Leaving the leaves and pine needles in place has built the soil up a little and I now commonly encounter earthworms that was not the case before.
When I go back to gardening I will amend more. The year before last I finally figured out how to grow tomatoes besides black cow compost I did apply some other amendments that I will have to look up.

The local waste water treatment plant does sell a blended compost of bagged leaf litter mixed with the dried and treated biowaste. A friend buy that and mixed with curbside bagged leaves in a small concrete mixer.
My thoughts are to try a version of hugelkultur raised beds. I have a lot of logs and put the treatment plant compost over the logs.
1669902072949.png
Right now something like below is more manageable. The big hangup is I do not want to invest in lumber and so will figure out a cheaper may to make the sides. Many things will go directly upon poor soil and it is those plants that I will look into the most.
1669902200168.png

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The soil has actually gotten better over the last 30 yrs since I purchased my 8 acres.
That's it, the key is in soil health.
I found 3 new to me products that made my grow so much easier this last season.

Worm castings. Beyond Compost, takes very little plants love it.

Spinosad. Many worms fire ants many beetles. Better than Thuricide.

An Organic Biofungicide. I live in a large river valley with so much moisture, that Fungal, virial & bacterial problems exist.
I have never had an Organic weapon like this, we had Grapes, apples, vegetables, all our plants were for the most part super healthy
& disease free.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got back from trying a new firing group in a glock at my club

I will have to spend some time [edit] reading your links.

Last edited: