Green County Safe Shooters Closed for now

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Is this just an exaggeration, or do I need to transfer to Tulsa?

Tulsa Gun Club, Oil Capital, Red Castle, USSA, 2A Shooting Center, Tulsa Firearms, Medlock's, and probably some more.

That's not even counting all the people with land that they shoot on.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
They stated in the article that bullets had hit houses. Did they provide any proof at all? Pictures, police reports, anything?

Owning land where you occasionally go out and shoot a couple of pop cans off of a post is not a range. There are nowhere near 8000 ranges near the Tulsa area. I don't know where they got that number but I doubt there are 8000 ranges in the 5 state area. There are a few ranges close by but most of them do not have any interest in bringing training to their facility. This is the whole reason why we teamed up with Byron Dykes over at Green Country. He recognized the potential there and wanted to be a part of bringing in world class instruction to the Tulsa area. Oil Capital, Red Castle and other ranges could care less about their membership getting good, quality training at their facility. USSA thinks of us as competition (which I completely understand) but they don't realize that we would help promote them too if we were allowed to teach there. Until we get this matter resolved we (Byron, Dewayne and I) are out of a job. We are having to scrounge around to try to find a place to hold our classes. We have people depending on us to provide them with the training they are looking for. I believe things will work out in the end and yes, we did everything by the book before we built our facility. When Byron went to the zoning commission and asked them what he needed to do to go from a paintball field to a gun range NO ONE told us about having to get a special exception to be able to operate a range. In fact they told him he could shoot on the land zoned AG. The funny thing is, the people who live in that area can go out into their backyards (or front yards for that matter) and crank off shots from whatever they want. Only God knows what they are shooting at and where the bullets are landing. I have seen and heard them do it on a number of occasions but we can't use our 22 foot tall berms to shoot into because the moronic judge thinks we are a public nuisance? ????? Whatever.

Jesse is right about state law too. It's 150 DB at the perimeter before you are in violation. I bought a decible meter and videotaped the sounds of the guns at the muzzle, at the rear of the gun and at the perimetmer. The loudest reading I got was from an AR-15 at the muzzle........126 DB. At the street it was no louder than two people talking.........55 DB. We are NOT in violation of state law as far as the noise goes. I think once the issue with the zoning is cleared up no one will be able to say anything about us operating our ranges. We aren't trying to force ourselves onto these neighbors and take away their peaceful, laid-back country living, we are only trying to make a living and there is only so much land available to build a range on. Where do people want us to go? ??? Egypt? We have to keep things close enough for it to be somewhat convenient for folks yet far enough away that we aren't disturbing everyone around us. That's tough to do. There are not 8000 ranges in OK. And of the ranges that are close very few are interested in hosting any type of training. I bet there aren't even 20 ranges in the Tulsa area that would be interested in hosting people like TDSA. I have checked with every range owner I can think of. Robert over at ATA wants $700 to rent a bay and another $400 to use the classroom. That's ridiculous. To shoot some bullets into a berm? Come on. USSA wanted $1,300 a weekend to use their place and now they won't even consider that. I wouldn't pay em that under any circumstances but that's what they wanted to charge me several months ago when we were still talking about them bringing us out there. Red Castle won't even entertain the idea and Oil Capital is very difficult to work with. The only person out there with a level head about it is Jack. He understands that the shooting community needs people like us to promote the industry and promote good, safe, gun-handling skills. We are providing a service to the community. Saving lives is what it's all about but I guess the judge doesn't care about that.

As far as the bullets landing on people's houses.....there is NO way they came from my range or Byron's range. The guy who said he had three bullets land in his house lives at a 90 degree angle to the range and lives more than 900 yards away. Let's talk about some ballistics people! That's one magic bullet folks. Another guy said he heard and saw bullets whizzing by his head when we was outside on May 5th. BS. There are always going to be ricochets when you are shooting steel but I doubt very seriously they went anywhere near his house much less over his head. He would freak out if he ever shot at the range in Las Vegas!!! People are getting their windshields shattered by bullets there on a regular basis and they don't shut them down!!!! If I thought for one second that we were jeopardizing the safety of a child or anyone else for that matter we would stop immediately. I would never want to have to live with myself knowing that I was the cause of someone's death or injury. We have an incredible safety record and will continue to make safety paramount at all of our classes. I'm trying to stay positive about this but it is very frustrating being shut down after only 2 months in operation. Especially when you invested the kind of money that Bryon and I did!

dennishoddy

Sure wish our range was a little closer to you. I'm pretty sure I could hook you up with a classroom and a bay for a whole lot less than they are asking.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
The number 8000 was an exaggeration. To someone who grew up in Chicago it sure feels like Tulsa has 8000 ranges!

I'm surprised and disappointed that Red Castle was so unreceptive.

In any case, I will be drafting a letter like you asked in the other thread. This injustice shall not stand, man.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I really don't care if it's 8, 80 or 8,000,000. Lose one facility to this nonsense and it's lost forever. People who don't understand this are... uniformed at best. Next year some yutz comes after your gun club or range if we don't band together and let "them" know we are loud and paying attention.

Gun ranges, general aviation airports,,, the family farm. All these things have been overruled, closed and taken away over the years. The cases that have been contested have been often times won.

Send a letter folks... and if you can show up for the Commission meeting.

Latest posts