Great Reading About America's Bullet And Sidearm Of Choice...

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Even tho I have pistols in other calibers, I own more 45auto 1911A1s than any other. Still load for them, shoot them, depend and trust them. US Army returned to a ,45 caliber for reasons stated above, it simply works. I like and shoot super38 and even 9mm, but will ,hopefully ,never be without a couple 45s

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I believe we have Big slow Booolets is because Handgun velocities are no where near Rifle velocities.
So to work the designers made bullets wide to create Shock. Rifle bullets are going to impart shock
due to it's hyper velocity causing massive tissue destruction.

So it seems that a 230gr 45acp FMJ will impart more shock than a 124gr FMJ .355 9mm bullet at 1100 fps
I have seen expansion in jell of a Federal125gr .357 Magnum bullet but that's not in the real world if I need expansion
I will grab a rifle.

Copper and lead are the same today as in 1911 so.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe we have Big slow Booolets is because Handgun velocities are no where near Rifle velocities.
So to work the designers made bullets wide to create Shock. Rifle bullets are going to impart shock
due to it's hyper velocity causing massive tissue destruction.

So it seems that a 230gr 45acp FMJ will impart more shock than a 124gr FMJ .355 9mm bullet at 1100 fps
I have seen expansion in jell of a Federal125gr .357 Magnum bullet but that's not in the real world if I need expansion
I will grab a rifle.

Copper and lead are the same today as in 1911 so.
I always figured a 45 is at least as fat as a 9 mm HP can expand to . Plus it weighs almost twice as much to begin with . Also less chance of a through and through . JMO

Latest posts