Great deal on AR-15 pistol or rifle complete lowers

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried many adjustable gas blocks and most were around $100. always had stripped screw issues.
then I tried the Gorilla brand adj. gas block and never had a problem with any of them. Nice beefy screws !
good to know. I will have to keep tract of your recommendations. Right now I am in the middle of throwing away braces and deciding if I can adequately face/cheek AR pistols or do I need to look for other legal solutions for compact guns.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't throw them away.! this will be found unconstitutional just like the bump fire stocks. just give it time.
I ran into my sheriff and he said they will not enforce this, and that he wasn't taking the brace off his AR pistol.
of course this depends on where you live. Also, you can always pay the $200 ATF tax stamp fee and file a form 4 to "make" an SBR. then you can have a rifle buttstock and won't need the brace but can legally leave it on too if you wish. . I think it's the form 4? can't remember for sure. but it takes way less time to get the SBR approval than it does getting the suppressor approval. My suppressor took 10 months to get. I've read that the form 4 sbr approval wait time is only 3 or 4 months. since you already have the pistol, you will fill out the form as "maker" of the sbr. this shortens the wait time a lot. plus it's true. Everyone that wants an SBR makes a pistol, then does form 4 as the maker and waits for the approval, then they can put a rifle buttstock & vertical forward grip on.
I have 2 AR pistols, but will get the SBR approval on one of them. that way I can use both uppers ( 5" & 7.5" barrels) on the sbr lower and only have to pay the $200 tax stamp once.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't throw them away.! this will be found unconstitutional just like the bump fire stocks. just give it time.
I ran into my sheriff and he said they will not enforce this, and that he wasn't taking the brace off his AR pistol.
of course this depends on where you live. Also, you can always pay the $200 ATF tax stamp fee and file a form 4 to "make" an SBR. then you can have a rifle buttstock and won't need the brace but can legally leave it on too if you wish. . I think it's the form 4? can't remember for sure. but it takes way less time to get the SBR approval than it does getting the suppressor approval. My suppressor took 10 months to get. I've read that the form 4 sbr approval wait time is only 3 or 4 months. since you already have the pistol, you will fill out the form as "maker" of the sbr. this shortens the wait time a lot. plus it's true. Everyone that wants an SBR makes a pistol, then does form 4 as the maker and waits for the approval, then they can put a rifle buttstock & vertical forward grip on.
I have 2 AR pistols, but will get the SBR approval on one of them. that way I can use both uppers ( 5" & 7.5" barrels) on the sbr lower and only have to pay the $200 tax stamp once.
If I was going to hide them as braced pistols I would probably be ok. But my ARs are intended for self defense and even if my sheriff does not care and maybe the state attorney might or might not, the feds if they hear about it could cause trouble.
If I had to shoot someone or even one of the local protected black bears in self defense, the gun used might be taken into custody.
It is not a sure thing that SCOTUS will strike it down. Until they do, the risks are just too great when I can do the same thing with a 16 inch barreled carbine. I will work a little to with the cheek-face weld shooting and see if it is practical.
I think we will win on the 80% frames, but I will not place any orders until it is reversed but I am just not sure on the brace pistol concept. We have the americans with disabilities act that it violates and ATF says their rule does not come under the ADA and right there they might loose. They may loose on the basis of legal procedure, but all of this is iffy and depends on the health and presence of Thomas and at least one or two other judges that think as they do. There has already been one half witted attempt to attack a federal judge's home that got stopped by his protective detail and they are also going after thomas anyway that they can.

Reactions: A34

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear ya' and now have a question. if it's for self defense, I assume you mean for the home & you're not carrying it around
if only at home... I would keep the brace on. if you had to use it, you could, if you did, you could quickly remove it before the cops show up. ( no tools needed, takes less than 5 seconds)
might work on bears too if no one is around to notice you have a brace. but I'm old & don't give a crap about these unconstitutional rules anymore, and where I live in a rural SW Mo area. I don't have to worry about it.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear ya' and now have a question. if it's for self defense, I assume you mean for the home & you're not carrying it around
if only at home... I would keep the brace on. if you had to use it, you could, if you did, you could quickly remove it before the cops show up. ( no tools needed, takes less than 5 seconds)
might work on bears too if no one is around to notice you have a brace. but I'm old & don't give a crap about these unconstitutional rules anymore, and where I live in a rural SW Mo area. I don't have to worry about it.
One does need to think the whole thing out. I am semi-rural. The neighbors may or may not have surveillance cameras. I may have to hold a prep at gun point next to the cooling carcass of his buddy.
One does have to draw the line somewhere as to where the render unto Caesar clause stops. With me it will be lever action rifles, pump shotguns, and revolvers. With many others the line in sand will be braces. If this country does not get turned around utter lawlessness will get much worse. Our local cops are within reason willing to do what is needed, but they can not be everywhere to stop crime, especially organized raiding parties coming from an urban area in the next county. They will show up, but it may take a few minutes too long when it is seconds that count. Gang members these days are quite mobile. For example that horrible incident where a sweet 16th birthday party was shot up. So far the five arrested preps where from other counties and I am sure were gang members.
I could add more, but this is not the political page of this forum.

Reactions: A34

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I was looking to buy one of their AR pistols. They have a 7 and 1/2 in and a 10 1/2 in listed on their website for sale on sale. No way to add them to cart. I finally called and said how do you do this and they say well it's not available yet. Maybe another 2 or 3 months. Why list something on your website if it's not actually for sale? I'll pass on this company.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry to hear that terdog
it's really easy to assemble an upper though. if you buy their side charging upper, a barrel, a gas block, gas tube and a handrail you can assemble it yourself.
I often just buy their side charging upper, then buy the barrel & adjustable gas block / gas tube from Gorilla machining and look for the best deal on a handrail
if your not comfortable getting the barrel onto the upper you can have any gunsmith do that part. they shouldn't charge you much at all ( probably $20 or less). but you have to have the handrail 1st, because that comes with the barrel nut to screw the barrel on. if you want a side charging upper, they are the cheapest price they have been in a long time and it includes the bolt carrier group, so you don't need to buy it too. they make their own parts and sometimes they can't keep up with demand
I started with a 10.5" 300 blackout, then went to 7.5" inch barrel and like it so much better. last year I started seeing 5" 300 blk barrels, so I bought one of those. the gas tube had to be bent just right before I could get it installed, I've never had to bend a tube on any other AR's I've built. the 7.5" is my favorite length, nice and compact while still long enough to have room for accessories. if you have any questions, just post them here and I will get an email and know to come look like I did for your post today. I will answer any I can. don't write off the company because it wasn't available. it's still a good company, even though they posted stuff they didn't have, they might have put it on by mistake or sold out quickly. you have options and can still get what you want. you just have to assemble it yourself. I can help you do it if you want to put it together yourself. I could even assemble it and mail it to you if you send me the parts, but know that's a hard decision because you don't know me and would be afraid I wouldn't send it to you even though I would. I'd be afraid to have a stranger do that too. but it would be easy to order the parts for a complete upper and have a local gunsmith put it together. only takes about 15 minutes
I hope that helps. post again if you have any questions

dennishoddy

I liked the idea of a side charging handle too, so decided to try one.
BCA had a sale last year, so I bought one of their 16" carbine uppers in 7.62 X 39 cal, I have a PSA upper also in this cal., & have been impressed with it's accuracy & reliability. Wanted to try a side charger, so went for it & learned there are a couple of downsides to them.. (side chargers)

1st is.....you need an allen wrench if you want to remove the bolt. Not a big deal, but it is a difference .. and could be an issue , if you don't have the wrench with you when need it. 2nd.. (& this is a bigger issue to me ) : I use a brass catcher on all my AR's. As a reloader, I save all my brass & hate having to track it down/ pick it up off the ground, if not using a brass catcher.
The side charging handle interferes with the brass catchers I use, so I can't use them. Tried moving the catcher bag more rearward, in the hope it would then work..it didn't. I have used the baseball cap method ..hanging a ball cap over my scope so the cap catches the brass as it's thrown out of the ejector port.
This at least allows the brass to fall @ my feet..(but I still have to pick it up off the ground.):confused:
Use a cheap butterfly net or fishing net with 1/4" mesh on its own stand that is not attached to the firearm to catch your brass.
I too had issues with brass catchers on my AR .243 WSSM. Saw a guy at the range that built one of those and thought it was genius.
Edited: the guy had his net on a tripod stand sitting off to the side of the bench.

Last edited:

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Use a cheap butterfly net or fishing net with 1/4" mesh on its own stand that is not attached to the firearm to catch your brass.
I too had issues with brass catchers on my AR .243 WSSM. Saw a guy at the range that built one of those and thought it was genius.
Edited: the guy had his net on a tripod stand sitting off to the side of the bench.
I a lot of the bullseye pistol shooter purchase such items, but one could make their own for sure. 1683114251975.png

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
$140.00 for a brass catcher ?
looks like I'll be fabricating a similar one.. my Caldwell catcher works great for all of my AR's..except the side-charger.

popeye1959

Fanatic
I live in Illinois, one of the states where SBR's are illegal. So filing the Form 1 to make an AR pistol an SBR won't work. Currently there is (I think until May 31), a waiver of the $200 tax. You don't get a stamp though, you just get an approval form saying you are exempt from the fee

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
I too have had issues with the Velcro strap type of brass catcher. Cases don't clear the ejection port and cause all sorts of problems. I found a Caldwell catcher with a rigid frame to support the net/bag, that slides onto an aluminum rail mount. Another brand, SME, works exactly the same. I now have one of each the Caldwell and SME with multiple "mounts" pre installed on all of my uppers. This style keeps the bag just off the receiver/ejection port, and seems to work really well. Both have a sliding piece along the top of the frame that allows for forward or rearward mounting (around scope/dot bases), and can be used on LH uppers as well.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been using a Caldwell catcher for many years as well. It's worked well, had no complaints & have suggested it to others that saw mine while @ the range. Later bought a copy of the Caldwell, almost exact copy, but it was lower in price. A few years ago I bought a 3rd one, only to find that the bracket attaching the bag to the mount was different. Old mounts used 2 small balls on the mount bracket that went into corrosponding holes ont the bag bracket, to lock the catcher to the mount. New one uses a zigzag pattern on the bag & mount brackets..the 2 were NOT interchangeable. I had purchased extra brackets to attach to all my AR's, so I don't have to chase brass when I shoot any of them..except the side charger.

Last edited:

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
The two I have are both older as well. Though I didn't open the SME unit till recently. Both have the ball detent. I never checked (until I read your post) as the SME fit the Caldwell mount from the get go.