Governor Signs new bill expanding self Defense

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-governor-signs-bill-that-expands-self-defense-rights/article/3562054

DanielC25

Active Fanatic
I am very happy this law passed but I think it was for the wrong reason. Ersila (or however you spell it) made a mistake when the whole thing went down at the pharmacy. I don't think he should of went to go get another gun and then execute the kid who was still alive. Let me make clear before I start a whole thread on this but yes the kid got what he deserved and I am a true advocate on, if I have to shoot someone there is only going to be one side of the story.... mine!!! and I know in the heat of the moment your ticked off and you want to "neutralize the threat" but what he did was I believe crossed the line from protecting yourself to murder. Plus in today's society you have to understand everything is under surveillance and you have to watch yourself. Then again thats why I carry a Glock, 17 rounds of pure mayhem!!!

Just my two cents

TroyF

TheBearcat
I don't think the Ersland case is the "reason" for this law, but certainly is an example of violence in the workplace. This law is a step in the right direction, as far as an individual's right to protect themself from harm.

Before the discussion begins as to wheter self-protection is a constitutional or God given right, lemme just say this. It is a moral right. It is a right granted to us by nature. The right to self-protect is the most elemental right anyone has. Wheter self-protection occurs at work, at home, at school, it doesn't matter. No one should expect you to lay down when faced with bodily harm.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I didn't see what the need for this bill was exactly? The existing statute already gives us (including business owners, managers and employees) the right to defend with deadly force.

[existing statute]

TITLE 21 § 1289.25
D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

The newly inserted words words "owner, manager or employee" were already covered by the existing singular word "person". Then, in the section listed above, they didn't even add the words "owner, manager or employee".

Can someone enlighten me?

BC

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
For the time they wasted on this one they coulda worked through a good Consitutional Carry law

Happy Second Amendment Day, boys. How many wasted legislative hours did that cost?

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't see what the need for this bill was exactly? The existing statute already gives us (including business owners, managers and employees) the right to defend with deadly force.

[existing statute]

TITLE 21 § 1289.25
D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

The newly inserted words words "owner, manager or employee" were already covered by the existing singular word "person". Then, in the section listed above, they didn't even add the words "owner, manager or employee".

Can someone enlighten me?

BC

It expands the make my day law to include buinsesses

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Here is the bill in its entirety.

View attachment 713

I understand that it added businesses but in my opinion (not a lawyer) we always had the right to defend ourselves in a business as long as I was lawfully there.

Maybe it was for clarification only.

Attachments

• HB1439 ENR.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 78