Got Some Glock Instruction Today

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I know, it is 1911 Fanatics, but I had some private instrucion today on shooting a Glock... I tried shooting at 15 and 25 yards a while back, it was not pretty. So, I figured I could try to fight through it, or get an instructor that spoke Glock. We started at 10, 15, then 25 yards. Instructor made a couple of suggestions, slight grip change.

Now, I like to shoot fast, shooting slow, and accurate at longer than 10 yards, is just not my thing. But, after a bit, he had me shoot with more of the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad, and there we go. So, after a hour or so, 15 yard head shots on an IDPA target, did pretty good. 25 yards, MUCH better hitting center mass. I learned a lot, got better, and I think with practice, I will be where I need to be with the Glock.

The instructor is also a 1911 fan, and was pretty impressed with my semi custom SA RO...

Considering an IDPA match in the future. Probably shoot that with the 1911. Just cause.

Amazing how just a slight change in trigger finger position, or grip can increase accuracy. It is great when you find an instructor that is good, and passionate about what they do.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I know, it is 1911 Fanatics, but I had some private instrucion today on shooting a Glock... I tried shooting at 15 and 25 yards a while back, it was not pretty. So, I figured I could try to fight through it, or get an instructor that spoke Glock. We started at 10, 15, then 25 yards. Instructor made a couple of suggestions, slight grip change.

Now, I like to shoot fast, shooting slow, and accurate at longer than 10 yards, is just not my thing. But, after a bit, he had me shoot with more of the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad, and there we go. So, after a hour or so, 15 yard head shots on an IDPA target, did pretty good. 25 yards, MUCH better hitting center mass. I learned a lot, got better, and I think with practice, I will be where I need to be with the Glock.

The instructor is also a 1911 fan, and was pretty impressed with my semi custom SA RO...

Considering an IDPA match in the future. Probably shoot that with the 1911. Just cause.

Amazing how just a slight change in trigger finger position, or grip can increase accuracy. It is great when you find an instructor that is good, and passionate about what they do.
I bet that was fun. There is definitely a learning curve with a striker fired pistol when you cut your teeth on 1911's. The triggers take a little getting used to, and like anything else, practice brings improvement. Plus, it's a great excuse to get to the range!

I have already reached the conclusion during the short time I've owned a Glock that while I enjoy shooting any gun, nothing.....absolutely nothing.....feels as natural in my hand as my 1911. All of the contours and finger grooves on striker fired pistols designed to make it feel good in your hand just don't do it for me. I think in some aspects of the 1911, JMB believed simplicity was better than trying to get fancy. He could have done anything he wanted to with the original design, but the simplicity is a display of his true genious.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I haven't shot mine yet! Just cause I broke down and bought one doesn't mean that I'm ready to be seen with it! Like fat chicks and mopeds!
LOL. I shoot mine on some property I own out in the country. I built my own range and none of my gun buddies are around when I bring it out of the bag. I'm trying to avoid the inevitable bunch of names I'll be called if they find out about it.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I'm very happy that you made peace with your Glock @Fred_G. I have tried several and they do not match with my DNA. But I know many do like them and for that I am glad. After all were all in the same boat. But the sight of one makes me seasick. Sell it and get a Sig. You will have more friends and won't get Bullied. Besides that Glocks are Racist.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I would guess you were shooting low and left before the finger adjustment?
Actually, more scattered, like the 4 corners of a square. With the Glock trigger, and my first and second joint of my trigger finger flexing, it was a hard to "press" trigger. Shooting more with the joint vs the pad eliminated a lot of the felt "flex".

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My Glock use is for a reason. I was recently accepted as a reserve Sheriff's Deputy for a local parish. Since all but one or maybe two officers carry a Glock, simple magazine compatibility was a factor.

Of course, when I do my POST qualification, I will also do it with a 1911 and the Glock, as I can carry what I want. The Glock is a practical gun for some applications. But I still love my 1911's... Now I just need some level II leather retention holsters. :D

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thanks Bender, but since my first actual ride in uniform is Tuesday, I have not served yet. I do look forward to it! It is a very rural and interesting parish. The philosophy of the department aligns with what I would consider actually serving the community. It is not speed traps and such.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a Kahr CW45 & a Sig P250 both work great.
Having never fired a Glock I can only assume they are like my striker or hammer fired plasitcs.

I have been so invested in the 1911, how it feels, the cold hard metal everything.
Being that these Glocks etc have no thumb safety too snick off & a DA trigger.
Two things that may get me dead quick.

I would feel safe with my little Kahr CW45 it will fire every time, the real problem is me.
Imagine trying to snick the safety off instead of just pulling the trigger alone. :eek: DEAD!

I have a metal 1911 as my CCW, Colt Commander 45acp. I just feel that when all around you
goes to hell, trust your Muscle Memory every time. I never carried a revolver, only a 1911
so no more plastic guns for me. Not that they are junk, just wish Kahr had a thumb safety.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a Kahr CW45 & a Sig P250 both work great.
Having never fired a Glock I can only assume they are like my striker or hammer fired plasitcs.

I have been so invested in the 1911, how it feels, the cold hard metal everything.
Being that these Glocks etc have no thumb safety too snick off & a DA trigger.
Two things that may get me dead quick.

I would feel safe with my little Kahr CW45 it will fire every time, the real problem is me.
Imagine trying to snick the safety off instead of just pulling the trigger alone. :eek: DEAD!

I have a metal 1911 as my CCW, Colt Commander 45acp. I just feel that when all around you
goes to hell, trust your Muscle Memory every time. I never carried a revolver, only a 1911
so no more plastic guns for me. Not that they are junk, just wish Kahr had a thumb safety.
I agree. The lack of a thumb safety is the hardest thing for me to get used to. I have decided I don't like the Glock after 2 weeks of owning it. It's a tool. A1911 is artwork. The Glock is easy for the wife to handle and it's a throwaway gun when it's worn out.....or maybe the dog will like chewing on it.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Sig put a thumb safety one of the P365 models:) right now that's the only "plastic" gun I'll carry otherwise it's my Wilson CQB in some Warbird leather. Still have bit **** the new Glock yet, it's just sitting in the safe.

Will it have any collector's value if I don't shoot it for like twenty plus years and its still new in box??
Like a future Colt python???

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Sig put a thumb safety one of the P365 models:) right now that's the only "plastic" gun I'll carry otherwise it's my Wilson CQB in some Warbird leather. Still have bit **** the new Glock yet, it's just sitting in the safe.

Will it have any collector's value if I don't shoot it for like twenty plus years and its still new in box??
Like a future Colt python???
I'm going to take a look at a Sig.

I don't see a Glock ever having any collector value. That's just my opinion and I'm usually wrong.:oops:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm going to take a look at a Sig.

I don't see a Glock ever having any collector value. That's just my opinion and I'm usually wrong.:oops:
I know very little about Sig today, however I bought their 1st year P250 in 45acp.
Bought 6 stock mags with the Sig & it took me over a year to get it running right.
According to the Factory Smith I talked to, he replaced damn near every part in
the small removable Ser# numbered chassis, inside a plastic grip frame.

I did a class A throat job on my barrel but Sig Charged me $200. 00 for
another barrel with a Fed-Up Feed ramp a throat job ruined by a Chimpanzee.
Thank God I insisted on keeping my original barrel my job works the barrel
I paid $200.00 for was F-up by a Sig tech.

They said if I did not buy a new barrel sig would cancel my Warranty.

I hope the P250 was just a Bonner because, I will never buy another one.
One last gripe about the P250 was a lack of spares, not at all acceptable for me.
Also they, Sig lost a big EU Law Enforcement with that POS 250.

Perhaps Sig was a German made pistol made to perfection once, however that's not what
I bought with the Sig name on it.

Plastic has it's place, only not in Guns & Cars just my .02

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
OK Here it is. #1. All my Sig's have hammers(P220,226.229 etc..). #2. Any work on them if not by myself go the "The Sig Armorer." AKA. Robert Burke. The one and only Sig gunsmith I trust and not cheap but not a ripoff and fast turn around. Been using him for years. If you get the action job with the QTR system, it's fantastic. Not cheap but if you want the best you pay for what you get. IMHO. Look into him if you plan to shoot your Sig's more than safe time. I've sold all my CZ's, Beretta's, etc..

Latest posts