Got bit HARD by 1911’s but have questions/need advice

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
See the scratch in front of the ejection port, in the matte black finish? That's from the Kimber plastic bag! I'm not joking! The inside of the plastic bag is kinda rough textured, but really?? This gun hasn't been fired, the scratch wasn't there when I bought it. It wasn't banged into anything. It's very minor, but seriously? What if I put it one time in a holster?And all the light barrel scratches, pitiful! Light scratches all over it. I've decided to trade.
See the SIG? WOW!! Only things I don't like is it's a 5" gun, prefer a 4". But what a beauty!! OH! I WANT IT!!

THANK YOU ALL for YOUR advice!! I'm still open to other options. But I really like the SIG! Just haven't seen any for sale, since last year, none. Which means other options.

Attachments

• 80C16C56-529B-41D4-AFE2-84FE0610FC26.jpeg
    80C16C56-529B-41D4-AFE2-84FE0610FC26.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 49CA7626-71DD-4BBB-9B48-3FCB4A1435EF.jpeg
    49CA7626-71DD-4BBB-9B48-3FCB4A1435EF.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Buddy of mind had 25 Glock model 22 mags that were LE trade ins. The M22 gen2 had a crack in the mag well and he sent it in to GI. they replaced the gen 2 frame with a new gen3 frame and replaced all the old LE mags with new gen4's mags. Doesn't get any better then that.
AMEN! No idea why so many trash GLOCK. It SAVED my ass!! LITERALLY! It's the Maytag washer of handguns. Not pretty, but goes BANG! Every time! No matter WHAT you feed it!

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
AMEN! No idea why so many trash GLOCK. It SAVED my ass!! LITERALLY! It's the Maytag washer of handguns. Not pretty, but goes BANG! Every time! No matter WHAT you feed it!
Yep!
1637406467221.gif

I call them a 1966 Chev c10 with 6cyl 3speed on the column. doesn't do anything fancy it just runs. I like your Maytag washer of handguns analogy.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the referral, but I'd like to save the postage and mail time back and forth. I was hoping somebody lived in Atlanta, and knew a good gunsmith. Also, no idea how much Wilson charges for labor. ??? I LOVE their 1911 mags though! WAY better made than Chip McCormick mags!!
Problem is , this is a 1911 forum. Not saying anything wrong with Glocks, Sigs, FN's, HK's ...Just Saying and Nuff said.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
THIS is funny! Text about under $1K 1911's. Mentioned Kimber trigger pull:

" junk Kimber magazine, the off the charts/could not be measured trigger pull!"

LOL! That's what I bitched about!!

Too funny!!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
"Newbies" buying 1911's = sometimes, BAD outcomes!!

ME!!! And bless you all for not making me feel like a ——(LOSER!)

Thank you!!! : ))))

Maybe Santa can locate a new SIG 1911 that I showed you all, for 12/25??

BTW, I DO love the Kimber revolvers WITH a hammer. : ))) But not buying one. Somebody said they wouldn't buy one earlier. I think they are a beautiful revolver! Anyone interested in buying a: un-shot/brand new/pampered Kimber 4" Pro Carry II two-tone???? With the all black sights? I "thought" Kimber was a good choice. What did I know?? (Nothing). Might turn out to be an awesome gun!? One last thing that bothered me. The gun was brand new, but the barrel was filthy! I know they test shoot them, but could they at least clean the barrel afterwards?? Wow….

Last edited:

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Over the years I've had many Glocks 17,19 Gen3, G21SF, 43, Colts, Sigs, FN, HK's, and CZ's. I have the fortune owning my own shooting range. Today I don't own a Glock for a number of reasons. Have kept three 1911's I won't sell a Desert Eagle Custom Target, Colt 70 series Combat Commander, and a SIG RCS. I have a few other SIGs, HK's, and CZ's that won't go either. The American 1911's are different, kind of like having a faithful old dog, and that's what sets them apart from the rest.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've owned most every brand of the well known pistols made (even some not well known) & those I've haven't owned, I've shot examples of the brand owned by friends, the past 50 yrs. Even have a few Glocks ( M-21 & M-22 ) that I should sell because they are rarely used.
Have 1911's from Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Sig Sauer, Rock Island Armory, MetroArms (American Classic), Bul Armory, & .all work well.
Some have had issues, most were minor & easily remedied. I'd suggest the OP find a range that rents pistols & try a few, before spending money on a pistol he may not like. Lack of experience may lead to believing advertising hype or focusing on appearance, over function. I've owned my Sig 1911 for> 10 yrs.,
it is another that gets rarely used. It has beautiful fit, finish, & workmanship. It is very reliable & not fussy with any of my handloads. That said, I don't shoot it nearly as accurately as my Springfields , or Colts, or Dan Wessons, or even my Rock Islands Armory 1911s, or my newly acquired Bul Armory.
MY suggestion for a Springfield 1911 was based on features for cost, accuracy & reliability, + strength of warranty.
I'd also recommend Bul Armory, but they're almost impossible to find in stock..which may say something about them.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I've owned most every brand of the well known pistols made (even some not well known) & those I've haven't owned, I've shot examples of the brand owned by friends, the past 50 yrs. Even have a few Glocks ( M-21 & M-22 ) that I should sell because they are rarely used.
Have 1911's from Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Sig Sauer, Rock Island Armory, MetroArms (American Classic), Bul Armory, & .all work well.
Some have had issues, most were minor & easily remedied. I'd suggest the OP find a range that rents pistols & try a few, before spending money on a pistol he may not like. Lack of experience may lead to believing advertising hype or focusing on appearance, over function. I've owned my Sig 1911 for> 10 yrs.,
it is another that gets rarely used. It has beautiful fit, finish, & workmanship. It is very reliable & not fussy with any of my handloads. That said, I don't shoot it nearly as accurately as my Springfields , or Colts, or Dan Wessons, or even my Rock Islands Armory 1911s, or my newly acquired Bul Armory.
MY suggestion for a Springfield 1911 was based on features for cost, accuracy & reliability, + strength of warranty.
I'd also recommend Bul Armory, but they're almost impossible to find in stock..which may say something about them.
Agreed 1911 Springfield is a hard one to beat for the money. . 45ACP or 9MM. I owned a 1911 Compact 9MM Springfield, a friend talked me out of it.. My Mistake

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Problem is , this is a 1911 forum. Not saying anything wrong with Glocks, Sigs, FN's, HK's ...Just Saying and Nuff said.
That is an AWESOME idea! But the range I go to, rents mostly: reg. poly guns, concealable poly guns: Hellcat, SIG 365, Taurus G-something, revolvers, AR's, and I believe all I've seen for 1911's, was a Ruger 1911, no: SIG 1911, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, or any hi-end: DW, Les Baer, etc. 1911's.
: ((( I'd LOVE to try out a Les Baer! They cannot be expected to carry expensive 1911's for rent, and except for RIA, TAURUS, ALL 1911's can be expensive, and I assume more maintenance to keep running than a Hellcat, or a GLOCK. But good suggestion, just don't rent them.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" I assume more maintenance to keep running than a Hellcat, or a GLOCK. "

An erroneous assumption, in my experience.
A 1911 ( that functions correctly & most do ) doesn't require more maintenance than any other auto loading pistol.
Nearly all my 1911's have not had anything done, beyond mods I wanted to make, except for cleaning ,
MY GoldCup and Springfield Armory 45 cal 1911's have had nothing done to them for >40 yrs.

Most the work I've done, or had done to my 1911's , was to modify them to my satisfaction. (.i.e. trigger tuning, changing sights, grips, mag wells )
Only one 1911 I've owned needed repair..an American Classic Commander sized 9mm that had a manufacturing defect..a void in the barrel.
It should've been covered under warranty, but as I was required to ship the gun @ my expense, I chose to buy a barrel &
had my gunsmith install it for me The gun actually functioned ok, I just noticed a small pit in a section of the barrel.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Expensive?? I'm not a tightwad, but it was a $750.00 gun, new. Is it worth it?? If it is, let me know. Will I get a Kimber/DW hybrid?? Or, another recommended: Wilson Combat, a Kimber/WC hybrid? That might be pretty cool!! IDK They do Beretta 92 hybrids. Worth it? Or, trade? May cost as much as a new Dan Wesson when I'm done! IDK….. A golden earring on a sow's ear??(that's what I'm feeling now that I think about it) I rather have a SIG 1911, than a Springfield 1911, no offense. Or, maybe a used Les Baer?? Or, go buy the new Raptor II with all the stuff I want? IDK.
None taken and not inferring your a tightwad either. I have no idea of others financial situations and truly hate to suggest things then find out the person really could never consider it.
Also Wilson does amazing work and they do offer multiple versions of Berettas. I have a Beretta 92 Brig Tac and also their EDC X9 and both are amazing firearms but I carry one of their older 4" CQBs daily.