Glocks, factory barrel, 40cal, reloads?

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you have a chrono? KB are no fun. ever since i had mine I chrono every test load I do.
DSCN2619.jpg

(and no that is not a pair of panties, Its a scarf)

oklaccer

Well-Known Fanatic
Ryan, I don't have a chrono or access to one.
To all, Many thanks to all that have added to my knowledge of reloading. During this process I have learned a lot more about reloading. I think I have identified some issues that I had that I didn't know about when I started this process. First - I was crimping too tight. When I dis-assembles the loads in question, some of the rounds came apart easily, (using an impact puller) but some were almost impossible. A tight crimp with a questionable powder, (Blue Dot - age unknown, with pressure spike issues), and the correct alignment of the moon and stars. Thankfully all that broke this time was the mag catch. Anyway, when I went back through all the brass that I had just unloaded and redid my visual inspection, I ended up tossing about 1 in 10. If there was anything, no matter how minor, it went to the scrap bin.
Again, Thanks to all for your help and inspiration.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you have a chrono? KB are no fun. ever since i had mine I chrono every test load I do.
DSCN2619.jpg

(and no that is not a pair of panties, Its a scarf)
Holy ouch! I have seen 40s and 357Sigs go boom instead of bang. If I recall A KB is when the brass lets go at the 6. Having seen this and the resulting damage that is like mega times worse. A KB blows extractors and blows mags out and maybe cracks frames. That looks like a serious overpressure event
For the OP. Case gauge each load and make sure your recoil spring still has a least a little power left in it. Verify your OAL and from personnel experience make sure there is no draft to screw with the scale. Folks use BD and like it. It has always had pressure swings and I just wont use it. Verify your crimp as well.
Best

Jerry

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing not yet mentioned is that .40S&W is susceptible to getting a slight bulge near the case head (smiley) that ordinary sizing does not take out. It can hold the pistol slightly out of battery and a Glock can fire it. KB!

I'm a fanatice about using a case gauge on ammo, and I was getting a number of rejects in my .40 cartridges until I went to push-through sizing of all the .40 brass as part of case prep. (I use range trash brass from matches). When doing the push-through sizing, I noticed some cases would be very tight near the case head.

SInce I started doing the push-through sizing, I have zero rejects from "smileys" left in .40 S&W.

Latest posts