Glock 23 Gen 4 (Your thoughts)

Joncard

Fanatic
I am in the market for a new gun. I have been looking at a few glocks ( I do not currently own one) to see if anything tickles my fancy. At the current time I own a .380, .9mm and a .45 as far as the pistols are concerned. I wanted to bridge the gap by looking at a few .40's. I have read some pretty good things about the Glock 23, but I wanted to come here to see if anyone had some dirt on the gun. I want to hear the other side of the gun, if you will. Does anyone own the gun, or have handled it? Any negatives I should be aware of?

Thanks guys.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
G23s are great guns. I do not own a Gen 4. Some of the Gen 4s had to have the recoil assembly changed out or shot to break in. They have been out for a while and the current production should be good to go.

Hope that helps and hope it doesn't put you off.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going out on a limb and going to say probably one of the best carry pistols, I know a mess of folks that carry these including myself. If your going to just target shoot I'd opt for the G22 fullsize. I'm not going to preach that the Glock is your best choice but if you would like something simple it would be rather hard to beat an ol' ugly Glock. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going out on a limb and going to say probably one of the best carry pistols, I know a mess of folks that carry these including myself. If your going to just target shoot I'd opt for the G22 fullsize. I'm not going to preach that the Glock is your best choice but if you would like something simple it would be rather hard to beat an ol' ugly Glock. Later,

Kirk

Lol, but there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Joncard

Fanatic
I would employ the gun in many of the ways I do mine that I currently own. For target practice, home defense, CC ,etc. I have read that the G4 recoil assembly is a bit rugged, but seems like an easy fix. I do not currently own a .40, and was looking around on the internet and other forums, and the one that keeps coming up is the Glock 23, and the Springfield xD 40. I think the Glock comes with 3 magazines if I am not mistaken, and the Springfield's come with two. So, that is a selling point for Glock.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
New drop free Glock Mags are sold in more places than chewing gum... about $25 each... the other suppies, accoutrements and Glock stuff in general is easy enough to find.

I like 40 SW... and would like it a lot more if I worked for some agency that let me shoot on their dime. 9x19 will always be the better economic choice for a "all purpose" handgun... FMJ runs around $23/100 at Wally World... if you want to double duty that gun... lots of premium defensive 9mm is sold today.

When I went looking for my last all purpose pistol... I went with a Gen 3 Glock 19. A G4 would have been ok with me too... but the Gen 3 was priced right. If I buy another Glock.. it will be a 23.

Lithiumokc

Founding Member
I would say stop your search and snatch up a 23. I have one and it in the rotation with my 36. You can not go wrong with that weapon.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a huge GLOCK fan and it's the only gun I can completely trust my life and my family's with 100%. I have a Gen4 26 and would recommend the Gen4's to anyone looking for a GLOCK.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
New drop free Glock Mags are sold in more places than chewing gum... about $25 each... the other suppies, accoutrements and Glock stuff in general is easy enough to find.

I like 40 SW... and would like it a lot more if I worked for some agency that let me shoot on their dime. 9x19 will always be the better economic choice for a "all purpose" handgun... FMJ runs around $23/100 at Wally World... if you want to double duty that gun... lots of premium defensive 9mm is sold today.

When I went looking for my last all purpose pistol... I went with a Gen 3 Glock 19. A G4 would have been ok with me too... but the Gen 3 was priced right. If I buy another Glock.. it will be a 23.
Let me say if you like .40 cal and you are not looking for the newest thing but a good gun I would go for the Glock 22 in Gen 2 .40 cal 15 round mags I have seen mags as low as 13 dollars. I have bought mine used from Jason on here for $350 and it is a hell of a gun I am glad I bought it and the price was right I believe it is Sooner gun shop. But not for sure He was in the guns only section of the classifieds on here, a ways back. Hope this helps!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a huge GLOCK fan and it's the only gun I can completely trust my life and my family's with 100%. I have a Gen4 26 and would recommend the Gen4's to anyone looking for a GLOCK.

I believe the subcompacts did not have gen 4 recoil assembly issues because they already were double sprung. Moving up to a compact or full size warrants the information that some didn't run well until broken in or the recoil assembly was changed out on early first run gen 4s.

I totally agree with your sentiments about Glocks. The OP did ask for dirt :) after all.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
I am in the market for a new gun. I have been looking at a few glocks ( I do not currently own one) to see if anything tickles my fancy. At the current time I own a .380, .9mm and a .45 as far as the pistols are concerned. I wanted to bridge the gap by looking at a few .40's. I have read some pretty good things about the Glock 23, but I wanted to come here to see if anyone had some dirt on the gun. I want to hear the other side of the gun, if you will. Does anyone own the gun, or have handled it? Any negatives I should be aware of?

Thanks guys.

First you don't have a "gap" to bridge...... the 9 will do anything the .40 will with good modern SD ammo.. Most people are far better off spending the $ for a new gun on training for the guns they already have. If you want to improve your shooting start there.
As for the G23 it is the hardest gun to shoot well that Glock makes!!!!!! I have seen very very few people shoot them well in classes and most students that want to improve there shooting will end up selling the G23 and getting a G19 or G17. The 19 is WAY softer to shoot and thus normally gives better results on the target, if you really want that size of a gun look at the G19 or the S&W M&P 9c.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
First you don't have a "gap" to bridge...... the 9 will do anything the .40 will with good modern SD ammo.. Most people are far better off spending the $ for a new gun on training for the guns they already have. If you want to improve your shooting start there.
As for the G23 it is the hardest gun to shoot well that Glock makes!!!!!! I have seen very very few people shoot them well in classes and most students that want to improve there shooting will end up selling the G23 and getting a G19 or G17. The 19 is WAY softer to shoot and thus normally gives better results on the target, if you really want that size of a gun look at the G19 or the S&W M&P 9c.

Good points made on Gen 1-3 guns. The Gen 4s do shoot softer (to me) and the G27 is just a touch more than a G26 again to me.
Any med or larger bore handgun with the proper ammo selection for the task at hand will get the job done. Some folks just have to have a .4x so to each their own. I do feel that 40 has a worst felt recoil between 9x19, 40, and 45acp.

Latest posts