Getting the .357 bug

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm starting to get it in my head I need a .357 Magnum revolver. Versitility of ammo, yadda yadda. I'd probably get the most practical use out of it as a woods walking sidearm. I'm hovering around a 4-6" barrel, thinking stainless to take some of the worry about the elements out of the picture. I've looked at a few: Ruger GP100, S&W 686. As usual, budget is a consideration, so the Python is out :cry: . On the other extreme, what about a Taurus or Rossi? I know I can count on some useful opinions here.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i have a few you might fondle.

well, i guess they are all snubnose but the 6 inch Highway Patrolman,
and a 4 inch 44mag, 24 ounces.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
My 4" GP100 was perfect. I regret selling it to this day, but have not found a replacement yet. A spring kit made it a whole different gun.

Good luck on your search!

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
i have a few you might fondle.

well, i guess they are all snubnose but the 6 inch Highway Patrolman,
and a 4 inch 44mag, 24 ounces.
I'll have to take you up on that soon. I'd like to see how the 6" handles.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
PapaBear said:
My 4" GP100 was perfect... A spring kit made it a whole different gun.
I saw a GP100 in the classifieds with a Wolff spring kit. I looked it up -- a $10 upgrade? Maybe you mean something else?
http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUG ... D52/dID233

That's it. Changed my whole experience with the gun. The springs and a little polishing and it was a dream to shoot.

Not that it wasn't good to go beforehand, but the wolf springs made a great deal of difference.

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
My hunting sidearm is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum stainless steel with a 6" barrel. It is single action only, which I prefer for hunting and target shooting. I've had this one for over 40 years and it still performs flawlessly.
It's a little slower loading than a swing-out cylinder, but for my use that is not an issue.

jisuho

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had three .357s in my time, all Rugers because it was the affordable choice for my budget. My first was the Ruger security six with 6" barrel. Very fine gun. My second was the GP100 with a four inch full shroud barrel. An even finer gun. Both have long since been sold or traded and I regret it to this day. My current is the Ruger SP101 with a 2" barrel. (Hmmm, barrels are getting shorter as I age. WTH??) Anyway, the SP101 is superb. I don't normally carry it concealed but I can do so comfortably. (I have an slimmer compact auto for my usual carry piece and guess who makes it!). I figure I will hold on to this SP101 for the duration.

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger. If you can afford the S&W or Colts, go for it. If not, take the Ruger over everything else.

j

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess the big difference in the Blackhawk (and Redhawk) is the Ruger mounts for a scope. I think I'll keep my eye out for a GP100. What's the most comparable S&W, K-frame? I think a good side-by-side comparison is what I need.

bilall

Well-Known Fanatic
The Blackhawk is single action only while the Redhawk is double/single action. My son has a Redhawk in .44 Magnum and it is a nice revolver. It seems to have a much stronger frame than the Blackhawk.
As a double action, it has a swing-out cylinder for loading where the Blackhawk uses side-port one-at-a-time loading.
Unfortunately, Ruger has not manufactured the Redhawk in .357 magnum in over 7 years.
Hope this helps.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Would there be a noticeable difference in shooting a single action vs. shooting a double action by cocking the hammer (other than those stated previously and the obvious)?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I have a Taurus 62, .357 for self defense. It's my first gun I ever purchased, and a favorite.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Would there be a noticeable difference in shooting a single action vs. shooting a double action by cocking the hammer (other than those stated previously and the obvious)?
Big difference in the grip and the angle of the recoil. I would not be worried about 357 magnum in a gun of any substantial size. It is the really big stuff where you need more to hang onto and a grip exactly to your liking. A single action is generally fine if you learn to let it roll. A typical double action is going to push straight back at you and could hurt, if the gun is not big enough to absorb some of the energy, and the grips aren't the best.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Big difference in the grip and the angle of the recoil. I would not be worried about 357 magnum in a gun of any substantial size. It is the really big stuff where you need more to hang onto and a grip exactly to your liking. A single action is generally fine if you learn to let it roll. A typical double action is going to push straight back at you and could hurt, if the gun is not big enough to absorb some of the energy, and the grips aren't the best.

I agree and would add that I have found that a Ruger Bisley single action is sort of a hybrid-to me it handles much like a DA revolver because of the shape and angle of the grip frame. A friend of mine who is a handgun hunter swears by them for shooting heavy loads.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a 4" S&W 686+ that fills all my needs for .357 except for the Single Action I purchased after being influenced by Crunchy Frog's videos.