Getting started in reloading

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been shooting 9mm and .40 for some time now and I never really considered reloading.
When I go to the range the empty casings go all over the place and as a rule of thumb the range frowns on people scavenging brass.
However, when I went to shoot my Ruger GP100, the first cylinder of .38 special (a birthday gift from Palmetto Armory in Columbia ;) ) changed my perspective.
There, in my hand was all the brass I just shot. I just opened my bag and dumped it in. hmmm.
Perhaps it makes sense after all?

I picked up a scale tonight and am working a deal for a reloading press.
It looks like it is time to start to learn to reload shells. Many shooters on this forum reload, and I may need some help getting started.
I know very little about it so, expect some dumb questions! :shock:

Pops

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
A good start is to go to the library and check out the ABCs of Reloading.

I see it recommended for beginners more than any other book.

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Send Shootist a PM. He will help you out in every way. He came to my house and walked me through setting up and gave me a list of what all to buy and has since come over to help out with problems. I have his number and always call with questions and he always has an answer. He has been reloading for many (40 years).

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
I've started keeping my brass. I don't have the room to set up right now. But one day....

You don't need much space to reload. I loaded at the kitchen table for several years. you can reload in the space that a table setting takes.
if you get a Lee loader or a Lee hand press

I have even loaded at the range

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been reloading since 1980. If you get back around Philsons again let me know. I live about 20 miles from the range. I can show you a few things about reloading and have you loading in a short time. I have a large assortment of different types of presses set up I can show you. Single stage presses to progressive presses. My favorites are my CH Auto Champions for handgun ammo and my Dillon 550B presses for rifle ammo.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
biganimal said:
... I loaded at the kitchen table for several years...

Have you met my wife??

I take it she doesn't like her table used for projects? My husband doesn't mind too much if we have to eat in the living room because the table is being used to refinish something, holding the sewing machine, the carder, guns in various stages of assembly, or other projects. His limit is about 2 days, longer than that and I have to pack everything up and serve him a Sunday dinner type meal. I haven't started reloading yet (but I'm signed up for the next class at East Coast!) but he's already told me he doesn't like the possibility gunpowder in his food, no matter how well I clean it up when I'm done, so I'm going to have to find another place to do that project.

Perhaps if you worked out a similar arrangement with your wife a small corner that is acceptable for reloading would appear?

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
biganimal said:
... I loaded at the kitchen table for several years...

Have you met my wife??

nope, haven't met the gal, but when you show her how much you can save by reloading (enough for a purse) and how careful you are (newspapers or cardboard) to cover the table etc...she might come around. I started loading with my sister's boyfriend around 1964-65 because my dad said I was too free with ammo. We had a couple of presses set up in the barn and when I got married I loaded on the front porch, back stairs, kitchen table or any place I could until we bought our first home then reloading went to the garage. I now have a "Man Room" where all my reloading is done now. I still do all my bullet swaging and casting in the garage.
as mentioned earlier I have worked up loads right at a shooting bench at a range several times but this is only done on a calm wind-less day for obvious reasons.
I am willing to help any forum members with reloading and set up. just send a PM. If ya got any questions feel free to ask. If I don't have an answer I'll get one somewhere.

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
My reloading setup right now is just a Harbour Freight bench about 2 foot square. I can move it anywhere I need to. It just sits behind my office chair by a set of metal shelves. Not a big deal. Of course my wife loves to shoot as well so her only comment is"are those for me" LOL

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i also have a "room" for loading. once you start the space you need will grow.
there is a Lyman press on the forum somewhere for sale. i have one thatsover 35 years old. cast iron. not like some single stage presses today. still use it for rifle cases cause they dont, to my knowledge, make a carbide die in rifle. get carbide for pistol and you dont have to lube.
David

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker said:
Here you go Pops a press for less than a pound of powder it's only $13.99. Heck I'm thinking about buying one for sizing 5.56 just because it doesn't have the frame in front to hinder access.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.c...rodTitle=SmartReloading S.B.P Reloading Press

I bought a smartreloader press just to swage bullets. I would not use it for reloading as the darn thing is just too sloppy. the hole in the frame that the ram passes thru is way too big and just sloppy. it fills the bill for what I use it for but not to reload

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anyone tried a lee loader?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc[/youtube]

I have a friend who is looking into getting into reloading cheaply and as she only has one or two calibers a press seems rather much just for target practice.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
no no no
thats what used to be called "in the field" loading. i dont think that was full length sizing either.
if you watch the videos of forum members shooting you know you need a progressive press at least for pistol ammo.
a single stage may be needed to help size rifle cases. and sometimes its just faster for rifle case loading.
think big. even if you are just plinking once in a while,with a progressive press you can sit down for a few hours, load 500 bullets and plink for a year.

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
no no no
thats what used to be called "in the field" loading. i dont think that was full length sizing either.
if you watch the videos of forum members shooting you know you need a progressive press at least for pistol ammo.
a single stage may be needed to help size rifle cases. and sometimes its just faster for rifle case loading.
think big. even if you are just plinking once in a while,with a progressive press you can sit down for a few hours, load 500 bullets and plink for a year.

seriously?!!! 500 rds for a years worth of plinking? I shoot 400 to 600 everytime I hit the range. I have used the Lee Loader in several calibers over the years and they work great. and yes they are neck sizing in bottleneck cartridges. if you are shooting the ammo in one gun then you need only to neck size as the cases already are fire formed to that chamber.
as for needing a progressive press.......NOT......I can load 150 to 200 rds safely and accurately on a single stage press in an hour or two. this means I touch each and every rd and know that no malfunction or snafu has occurred.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
well ive re read the posts and cant find it. i thought someone said some thing about only plinking once in a while.
im saying why not get a single stage or progressive , load up some bullets and be set to plink till they are gone instead of using a hand loader. seriously

Latest posts