Getting started in hunting?

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
So what's a good way for someone to get started hunting? I've been into guns pretty much my whole life but no real hunting. I'm thinking more along the lines of deer/pig/varmint type hunting. I'm literally clueless on how to get started. Don't know how to find out where to go, don't know how to clean an animal, nothin..

Any suggestions?

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Rob
Thanks for asking this I'm in the same position right now. Want to start hunting and be able to take my boys in the next few of years. Been looking at leases and researching it but its hard not knowing or having any experience. Hopefully someone can give us some good info to get started!

dennishoddy

On my phone right now. My internet connection at home died right in the middle of putting up a post. I'll be back with a reply when it gets back up

dennishoddy

Well, hope I can be of some help. My shooting history started with hunting at 11 years old(when I bought my first gun), and hunting continues to be a passion to this day.

Nobody in my family hunted, and dad fished some, but not often, so I don't know how I got the bug other than reading the great novels like Death in the Tall Grass, Call of the North, etc.

Basically started out hunting rabbits, dove and quail on relatives land. They showed me how to field dress them, and Mom would cook anything I brought home if the recipe was in her Betty Crocker Cookbook.

There were very few deer at that time in Okla. Since then the population has pretty much exploded. I didn't deer hunt until the 80's.

You know guns. There is some difference in shooting and hunting ammo.

Now, to address your first issue. Finding a place to hunt.

Unless you know somebody with hunting land you will be hunting public ground. The majority of deer, and other game are taken from public ground as that is where most hunters are forced to go.

If you have relatives with land, nurture the relationship.

If not, public land can be productive if hunted correctly.

I guess the quickest way to get to your questions is to ask what do you want to start out hunting? Small game or big game?

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I'm more interested in bigger game, deer and hogs, mostly for meat gathering puropses. I'm also interested in varmint hunting, like coyotes, for entertainment.

dennishoddy

There have been volumes written about each.
Deer hunting brings in more money spent than all of the college sporting events, put together.

We are blessed with technology now like youtube that can be a resource for about anything. The best way to get a good start though is to have a mentor. An experienced hunter can really make the difference in being sucessful, or if doing it the old fashioned way, learning from your mistakes like I did.

Getting somebody to take you to their honey hole is really difficult, unless your really close buddy's

Looking at a track in the dirt, with your own eyes, and an experienced eye telling you what the track is and what its doing, is hands down better than looking at a picture or a video. Hell, I look at the drawings they put on the internet, and they don't look like anything that I see.

First thing that I advise is to study animal anatomy. A hunters first priority is to make sure they can make a clean kill without undue suffering by the animal.
The heart/lung area of a deer is right behind and slightly behind the front legs, about mid way up. Its a 9" kill zone. Put the proper bullet in that zone, and it will fall within 50 yds or less.
Death comes from blood loss to the brain, or spinal injury, which brings up the next area that some hunters use. Its the neck or upper shoulder shot. The kill zone is about 3" in that shot. If its good they drop in their tracks.
Hunters need to know how to blood trail, as well as know what to do if a bad shot occurs. How the animal reacts when shot, gives a good idea where the bullet hit.

For whatever reason, gut shot deer head for lower ground looking for water. Marginal shots in the lungs will typically make a deer go uphill. Why they do this, I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that helping friends track their wounded deer, this situation almost always happens.
EXCEPT if you hunt where I do, and there is nothing between me and the North Pole but a barbed wife fence. Flat as a board. Then the blood trailing comes into play. Dark red blood, is an artery, and the deer isn't far off, or orange frothy blood points to a lung shot. The deer isn't far off either. I've spent up to 10 hours looking for wounded deer. I've lost one.

Pigs are a special challenge, as with any hunting pressure at all, they are pretty much nocturnal. More to come on that.

Varmints like coyotes and bobcats, are are really fun, and present challenges of their own. More to come on that as well. Its late, and I have to get up early. Post up any more questions, and I'll try to answer them, or give you a link to some place that can.

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
I got into hunting and guns about 6 years ago due to my friends. Several of them had started hunting the year prior and so I decided to join in. The only place I had to hunt was on one of my friends land. I go out there about 10 times a year or more to help him out with odd jobs as well so that I can hunt without paying him, and some deer summer sausage helps with that as well.

With regards as to where to hunt, that takes some knowledge of the area and also how deer move on that piece of property. The first year, I was told to go to a location and just sit and wait. I got to see and shoot some deer but not many. The second year, I went to those same locations but I started looking at how the property was laid out, all the features and tried to relate it to how the deer moved. Still only saw and shoot at a few deer. The third year I was out there, started trying out new places to see what the other areas of the property were like with regard to deer movement. I've been out there now for 6 years now and I finally feel like I have an idea of how, when, and where the deer are moving. It can be a slow process since I can really only hunt about a total of 10 days out there.

If you already know where you will be hunting, bring up an aerial map and look for places where they will get food, water, and a place to bed down at night. If you can, go out to the land before hunting season and look for trails that will connect those areas together and setup and just watch for deer. Now would also be a good time to get out there and look for antler sheds so you can see how big the bucks are in the area.

As far as field dressing, go to YouTube and watch as many videos as you can. Then when it comes time to do it, just remember not to puncture the stomach or intestines and you will be good to go.

Kenny

Feegee

The Magic Man
Do you have cable or dish? If you do outdoor channel and others like that has a bunch of turkey hunting on them right now since season is coming up. IMHO turkey hunting is one of my favorite hunts because they call back to you, and you can get up close and personal.

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Watching the tv hunting shows for turkey gives a viewer a pretty good idea what the different sounds are that turkey will respond to. When watching the show, keep your laptop or what you use, and keep this website open. http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html
Use the sounds on the website, and read the tips associated with them to learn when and how to use each one while watching the shows.
The one thing about the tv hunting shows I don't care for is the hopping around, screaming like a schoolgirl antics these guys/gals do when they kill something. They jump up and run to the bird for whatever reason I don't know. If its public ground, there may be others nearby hunting the same flock. It's pure courtesy to go ahead and sit quietly after taking the bird to possibly give another hunter an opportunity at the scattered flock. Plus, if hunting with two people, more than once I've called another turkey right back to the set up for another shot by your partner.

Don't fall prey to the "gotta have a 3 1/2" magnum to kill a turkey. Your three gun shotgun, or the Mossy you have at home will do the job just fine if you call them in close enough.
I've killed close to 40 now with a Browning citori using a standard full choke. Ammo of choice is Winchester supreme 2 3/4", 5 shot, 1 1/2 oz loads.
Loads like hevi-shot that are tungsten based pellets will add 10-15 yards to the range.
I won't shoot one unless its 35 yds or less. To me the sport of calling them in range is more of a thrill than killing one.
They are quite tasty though. :D

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Dennis for taking the time to help! Supposed to be getting an invite to go turkey hunting coming up so appreciate your responses. My last question is a yearly lease worth the 2500-6000 I see some asking to know you have somewhere for sure to go with your family or a couple of buds? Or best to go to a public area? I know there is no guarantee either way in hunting!

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Dennis for taking the time to help! Supposed to be getting an invite to go turkey hunting coming up so appreciate your responses. My last question is a yearly lease worth the 2500-6000 I see some asking to know you have somewhere for sure to go with your family or a couple of buds? Or best to go to a public area? I know there is no guarantee either way in hunting!

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Stone Dudley said:
I would ask Dennis Hoddy if I was you! He is overflowing with experience!
Came here to say "be careful listening to Dennis because before long you'll end up in BFE every weekend in winter looking for quail with a hyperactive Brittany."

Plus side: when the Brittany gets far enough through woah training you can use him as a table

YZVOIyb.jpg

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
If you haven't done it yet take a hunter safety course. Most people are required to although there are some exceptions. Personally I would not spring for the cost of a lease until I had tried hunting for a while. There is lots of public land in Okla. If you are considering a certain public hunting area find out who the game warden is in that area and talk to them. Get an Okla. hunting regulation guide and study it carefully. Laws vary for different regions of the state and what is allowed on some private lands is not always allowed on some public lands. The rules can even vary between different public hunting areas. Make sure you have the proper licenses and tags.
Your best bet would be to find a friend who has some land and who will take you hunting. Find an experienced hunter who has passed the point of having shot enough game, but does it just for the experience and will pass up shots on game newer hunters would jump at. They will be more than willing to pass on the sport they enjoy so much.
As it is on gun ranges safety is your main priority, pass up shots if you are not sure of your surroundings.At public hunting areas you may not know there are other hunters close to you.Don't take shots at game that might just wound an animal. You may never find it or your meat could be ruined.
Another source would be a guided hunt. These are more expensive, but you have a guide who can teach you and your chance of bagging game will be much greater.
Good hunting to you.

dennishoddy

Leases can get really expensive. It all depends on how good it is.
Is it for deer only, or is it managed for trophy deer? If its a year around lease for small and big game it going to cost more.
Craig's list is a fair place to put in an ad when looking for a lease. I know people that have better luck going to the area where they want to lease and putting up flyers at local feed stores, farmers CO-OPS, etc.
With the drought going on, farmers/ land owners are having a tough time financially. Some may be looking to lease land that has never been leased previously.
I've only been on one lease. 880 acres, with 4 guys. Cost each of us $400 a year. We divided the place into 4 equal portions and drew straws. Nobody hunted the other persons area. If a hunter dropped out, somebody could opt to move to the other area if they wanted, or stay put, and let the new partner fill the slot.
If you do lease a place be sure to take care of the property like it was your own, and don't be afraid to offer a little sweat equity to the landowner. That little bit of fixing fences, etc.,might just work into a partnership. :D

dennishoddy

Rob, for varmints, hands down, the electronic callers are the way to go. I own and use mouth calls, typically when I'm deer hunting and see a coyote or bobcat in the area. If you see one fairly close, and don't have a call, kiss the back of your hand to make a high pitched squeaking noise. Coyotes have incredible hearing. I've called them into shotgun range during turkey season. Coyotes and bobcats prey on turkey as a food source, so if you get into turkey hunting, expect to see some varmints.
FoxPro seems to be the leader in electronic calls. They will operate up to 200yds away with a remote. There are also decoys available that work independently, or attach to the call. They work really well for coyotes, not as well on cats.
I'll spend about 30 minutes on a set, then move elsewhere. When getting ready to leave a set when you don't see anything, get up slowly, keeping the gun ready. Sometimes they will sneak in and hang up in some cover unseen. Getting up will cause them to break cover, and you might get a shot.
Bobcats will almost always come right in.
Coyotes will almost always try to circle down wind to smell, so always hunt the wind, and watch your Six for one coming in behind you.

Latest posts