Get up for work....put the dog out...

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
let the dog in. SKUNK!!!! Damned little Jack Russell ain't afraid of anything. This is about the 6th time she's been skunked. SWMBO has to deal with her as I have to leave for work in a few. I've got her out in the garage (attached) and I can still smell her.
Looks like it might be trying to den up under the deck. Any tried and true methods to de-home a skunk?

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
let the dog in. SKUNK!!!! Damned little Jack Russell ain't afraid of anything. This is about the 6th time she's been skunked. SWMBO has to deal with her as I have to leave for work in a few. I've got her out in the garage (attached) and I can still smell her.
Looks like it might be trying to den up under the deck. Any tried and true methods to de-home a skunk?
Good morning!!!
Wow, nothing really hits the sinuses like that first thing in the morning....

Your little buddy has a serious case of hate for polecat huh?
Try this on the pup to get rid of the perfume:
- 1qt hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
-teaspoon of dish soap
Be glad it's a russel and not a 188lb Turkish Boz. ;)

As for Pepe le pew, I don't like trapping the things because my gear suffers so the rule of the day with polecat is area deniability. He's hanging around for a reason, most likely a food source. Fruit trees and bushes are the first then trash, grubs etc.

If your sure of the den site stuff the entry with ammonia soaked rags and pepper spray the entrance. A mix of hot sauce water and a odorless detergent like Dreft (helps it to cling to stuff) sprayed around possible food sources and entrances will encourage stinky to move on.

Lastly because your pup is running around be careful with this one, Exlax, no animal likes to poop where it sleeps. May stink for a bit but the alternative would stink more. Good luck!

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
.22LR at just before dusk when she first comes out to start forging. Physically block the entrance so she can't run back up under there to die. (May take multiple hits to stop her/him; tough little varmints!).

Your city animal control may offer help. They have a way to trap skunks and then a long pole with a hypodermic syringe apparatus and a chemical that kills them instantly - even before they can spray again.

Last edited:

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't waist your time with the tomato juice bath for the dog. This is B.S. and does not relieve the stink. If you can find the den, I've been successful using moth balls as a deterrent. They (skunk & family) tend to relocate...

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
be sure to wash the dogs eyes out asap. it might save its vision. as far as the stink. multiple baths with baking soda might help. products on the market seem to include citrus juices.

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Referring all recipes to SWMBO. Skunk is likely at the bird feeders. Area denial operation will commence when I get home.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
The only really effective "odor remover" I have used is called "Natures Miracle", skunk odor remover........It is available at Petsmart and probably elsewhere. As for the skunk itself, I trap them in a "live" trap (using a small can of cat food for bait) and then dispatch them with a very accurate pellet rifle. I live in a rural area and, unfortunately, deal with skunks regularly.

Good Luck, TR

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Good morning!!!
Wow, nothing really hits the sinuses like that first thing in the morning....

Your little buddy has a serious case of hate for polecat huh?
Try this on the pup to get rid of the perfume:
- 1qt hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
-teaspoon of dish soap
Be glad it's a russel and not a 188lb Turkish Boz. ;)

As for Pepe le pew, I don't like trapping the things because my gear suffers so the rule of the day with polecat is area deniability. He's hanging around for a reason, most likely a food source. Fruit trees and bushes are the first then trash, grubs etc.

If your sure of the den site stuff the entry with ammonia soaked rags and pepper spray the entrance. A mix of hot sauce water and a odorless detergent like Dreft (helps it to cling to stuff) sprayed around possible food sources and entrances will encourage stinky to move on.

Lastly because your pup is running around be careful with this one, Exlax, no animal likes to poop where it sleeps. May stink for a bit but the alternative would stink more. Good luck!
This recipe worked on our Shepard one night at 4am when he just HAD to go out so the wife let him!! She doesnt let him out anymore when he insists at 4am unless he's being watched! Good for him and us it was a warm summer night, he got a bath outside and we were then up for the day. :mad:

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
- 1qt hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
-teaspoon of dish soap

This is the stuff that works folks. SWMBO chose not to believe my 'imaginary internet friends'. and called the Vet. This is the concoction that was recommended.
Kinda funny, SWMBO is super sensitive to odor, I'm damn near nose-blind after picking up garbage for the last ten years. She can still smell au de skunk in the yard and back end of the house. Me? Nothing.

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
The skunk departed the premises, or so it appears. Did find a spot where it may have gone under the fence, I'll cure that this weekend. The dog is, well, her normal Jack Russell Terrorist self. When not busy chasing varmints, she is obsessed with the tennis ball, or food, or with the weather turning cold and windy, a nice warm blanket to burrow under.

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
- 1qt hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
-teaspoon of dish soap

This is the stuff that works folks. SWMBO chose not to believe my 'imaginary internet friends'. and called the Vet. This is the concoction that was recommended.
Kinda funny, SWMBO is super sensitive to odor, I'm damn near nose-blind after picking up garbage for the last ten years. She can still smell au de skunk in the yard and back end of the house. Me? Nothing.
Funny how that works, when she's not in the rock pile looking after four legged supply trains my sister in law is a large and small animal sawbones. Glad it helped!

Last edited:

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
I almost ran over a skunk at work last week. Whew! That was close. Damn east side skunks.

Latest posts