Gen III 15" Free Float Carbon Fiber Forearm Au Natural

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I just got in a very cool, very lightweight, Precision Reflex Inc. Gen III 15" Free Float Carbon Fiber Forearm in the Natural color.

Here is a link.  PRI Gen 3 15" Carbon FiberHandguard

I ordered mine with the one 3" rail on the bottom for my Bi Pod
05-070-01_LGR.jpg

and the forearm sling swivel adapter for my VTAC sling.
05-070-04A_L.jpg

I plan to get some assistance getting it mounted on Thursday night.  I am trying to find a longer and lighter alternative to my JP/VTAC rifle length handguard.  My CTR-02 shoots great I just think it feels a little barrel heavy even though the barrel is anything but heavy.

Here are the spec I pulled off the USPS scale at the office.
8.7 oz w/nothing
10.8 oz w/sling swivel adapter, 3" bi pod rail
11.8 oz w/barrel nut
13.8 oz w/barrel nut, sling swivel adapter, 3" bi pod rail

I will post the weight of the VTAC once it is removed.

More to come

jtischauser

Oh, It is like $350 with all the stuff but I took off 2 or 3 rails so it was around $300 which is completely ridiculous but its the only one like it that I am aware of.

Chambers

actual GM
Oh,  It is like $350 with all the stuff but I took off 2 or 3 rails so it was around $300 which is completely ridiculous but its the only one like it that I am aware of.

I dig the hell out of it. I think it's worth it. You're rifle is totally pimped with that and the Swarovski.

jtischauser

OK so I had a chance to weigh the rifle length JP handguard with the 3" rail and sling swivel stud on it. It weighed 24 oz.

So I shaved 10.2 oz off the handguard and I gained 3" of handguard.

That's only about $30 per oz. to lighten it up. :huh:

Or $100 per inch. :eek:

jtischauser

I also changed from a standard JP adjustable gas block to a Low Profile Adjustable Gas Block. I will weigh both of them to see if I shaved any weight there as well.

Chambers

actual GM
I also changed from a standard JP adjustable gas block to a Low Profile Adjustable Gas Block. I will weigh both of them to see if I shaved any weight there as well.

Is that the gas block you were using Sunday?

Do you know the weight of just the HG alone? I can't seem to find it. Gotta be a world apart from my 15" HG.

jtischauser

Is that the gas block you were using Sunday?

Do you know the weight of just the HG alone? I can't seem to find it. Gotta be a world apart from my 15" HG.

Here are the spec I pulled off the USPS scale at the office.
8.7 oz w/nothing
10.8 oz w/sling swivel adapter, 3" bi pod rail
11.8 oz w/barrel nut
13.8 oz w/barrel nut, sling swivel adapter, 3" bi pod rail

I woudl suspect that your handguard manufacturer quotes the weight of just the handguard with no barel nut or attachemnet hardware. When I looked up what JP listed their VTAC at it was less than the full wieght of the entire assembly that went on the gun to make it work.

Chambers

actual GM
8.7 oz w/nothing...I woudl suspect that your handguard manufacturer quotes the weight of just the handguard with no barel nut or attachemnet hardware. When I looked up what JP listed their VTAC at it was less than the full wieght of the entire assembly that went on the gun to make it work.

That's wild. My 15" MI tube is quoted at 15 oz.

I may upgrade after Old Fort when I pull my barrel to have it lightened. If I could shave about a lb., would make for a quick rifle.