Gas block problems?

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
First post other than my intro, so if this is already come up my bad.

I was having cycling issues with my Noveske infadel upper. Wouldn't even attempt to unlock, extract,etc. First thing that popped into my head was gas rings are fried. Replaced them along with all the other good stuff in the BCG. Didn't fix the problem. So next thought is my gas block leaking, maybe displaced during firing. Checked the allen screws at the bottom of the block but they were still tight.

Any thoughts?

Also its got a mega arms rail on it, which won't fit over the KX3 so I'm screwed on removing the rail to get to the gas block.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
does your noveske have a switchblock gas block, is it turned off?

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
No Switchblock. Low pro gas block. My next course is to wrap some masking tape around the rail at the block to double check for a leak.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Did you build it or buy it ? Can you post pics ? Is it cycling just not grabbing the shell? Might check the spring on the ejector. Does it eject manually? Has shot ok up until now?

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
I bought it, it was running like a dream up until last month. Its not even attempting to cycle the bolt.
It will eject manually fine. It will manually cycle fine.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
blow an air hose into one end of the barrel while blocking the other end & see if it comes out of the gas tube.
If not, your gas port or tube is blocked for some reason.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm thinking your not getting any gas back to the bolt . Is it possible that the gas block slid forward just enough to cover the hole in the barrel or slid forward enough so that the gas key isn't sliding onto the gas tube. You havn done any work on it?

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
K so after a test fire at the range today with the tape around the block, it's not leaking there. It seems to be a problem or blockage with the tube. I noticed excess carbon on top of the bolt, more than should be from only 5 rounds. So I'm gonna check the tube and make sure there isn't any blockage and that the key is sliding onto the tube.

I haven't done any work to it, the brake was caked in carbon big time when I pulled the cone out (KX3) I know the purpose of the KX3 is to provide more back pressure for SBR's but not sure if that would have enough impact on the rifle to cause this kind of malfunction.

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
I'm an idiot...there is a primer stuck in the back of the gas key.

Loaded a group of lake city brass, had to remove the primer crimp. Probably removed to much and a primer blew out and got lodged in there is all I can think of... Thanks for all the help guys

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
at least you know all the other parts (rings, gas block, etc) pass inspection :D

CompTA97

Active Fanatic
LOL yeah, and thanks to my knee jerk reaction I have another gas block and tube...Hmmm I think I hear the good idea fairy knocking lol

Latest posts