Future AR-15 build ideas

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I really want to build my own on this next one. I'm wanting one of those dream guns. I will have to space out the build over time. I want it to consist of some of the best. Since I'm new to this and you guys know the ins and outs.....I'm asking for some ideas...5.56 I will stay with. I've been checking out Loki hard. I'm wanting a very accurate build, and more on the light side (wife will want to shoot it also). If possible. If it can't be achieved she will be fine with her current Stag. Im open to all ideas...I won't be able to swing 10,000 for a build...any estimate on what a good quality, field ready build would run me? The 3 gun events and stuff of that matter is a possibility in the future also...

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
Optics not included, you can build a nice gun for a grand. You can build a ****ing sweet gun for 16-1800 range. You really need to do the pepsi challenge with different add-ons and decide what you want. By that I mean stock type, barrel length, hand guard type, billet or forged receivers, etc. Once you get a real good idea of the layout you want, you can get serious about specific brands, colors, etc. Don't sweat the decisions like what brand of quad rail or what model stock you want. Just figure out the layout you are interested in. Once you nail this down, figure out what you want to spend. Many guys cannot afford to drop a couple grand on a gun in one setting and opt to pick up parts as they go. Since you are planning on building it yourself, this is easily done. I will say that if you are looking for a dream gun as you say, I would go ahead and get a billet matched upper and lower. I did the same thing you are talking about a couple of years ago. I started with a matched Black Rain set and went from there. For the money, if I build another billet gun it will be a LOKI. I'm actually contemplating a .300 Blackout build right now and will likely use billet receivers. The difference is only about $200 between a billet and forged parts. These is an unlimited number of options out there, so take some time and decide what is best for you... Have fun.

dennishoddy

I'm not a three gunner. Its not by choice either. Just can't get to one.
I will quote a very good three gunner.
"all of the junk that a newb puts on a 3 gun will come off after the first match "

As I understand it, 3 gunners shoot with a bare bones gun(junk accessories is what i'm talking about, ie. lights, etc.), and rely on practice, and shooting to stay in the game. They use compensators, trigger groups, etc.
3 gunners are free to laugh and make fun of me if I'm wrong.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I'm in the middle of building a few right now with a similar goal in mind. I've built an ultimate, cost is not a consideration, gun before. I've spent $600 just or a barrel before. Never again. Why pay for an amazing Lilja fluted barrel when a cheap DPMS will shoot just as good?? There are things you should definitely spend your money on, like a good trigger, but I haven't seen the practical difference in a billet upper versus a forged. Yeah, stronger this and that, blah, blah, blah. A "cheap" Loki upper with one of their barrels or a "cheap" DPMS barrel will shoot sub-moa all day long. If you decide you want to spend the money for a certain look or a certain brand, go ahead. That's perfectly fine. But don't do it because you think you have to in order to have a great rifle.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
For 3-gunnin, light weight and bare mininmum accessories is the key.

Check out some fiberglass handguards or Troy TRX extreme handguards.
I'm using the Troy's on mine and have been impressed with how light and strong they are, and being 13" it allows me to get my hand further towards the muzzle to help move from one target to the next.
I don't have experience with the fiberglass ones but other people swear by them. I personally don't like that most of them are glued on, to me I just don't see how they could survive for a long period of time.

I've had billet receivers before and I'm still trying to figure out why I spent the extra money on it. I just don't see a big advantage to billet over forged.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys....As far as the 3 gun....that is something future...I have a 2 yr old son and we just found out another one is on the way...so I won't have the time really...Another reason I will be spacing this build out over time...I'm just trying to figure out where to start... I want to try and keep it light....my wife struggles when they get heavy...I just got her into guns...so I want to keep her involved.
I like the Spikes lower that is on my new AR. But after looking at the Loki's and some of the lowers and uppers in RRA catalog, I like them too.....Only AR's I've shot is my Stag model 2 and my new AR...I'm new to these AR guns....still learning about them. I will have to go off reviews and suggestions from you guys on a lot of the parts I buy. Since I don't have any experience with most of them. I will get the layout drawn out then run it by you guys to see what you think.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Bravo Company Manufacturing has some really nice uppers already put together and ready to go. I built one 3 gun, redid one for coyote hunting, then bought one from BCM. From now on, I'm just going to buy them complete from BCM. Top notch stuff for a decent price.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my first 2 already complete....but I want to get one build under my belt...it will be a nice reward once I'm finished...After this one it will be awhile until I get another one....hell, Ive bought 2 in the past 3 months....but....I just got into AR's. Once I fired that first mag, I was hooked and It's getting worse...lol

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I agree with Wormy. The barrel is the moat important but don't get caught up in some expensive brand name. A DPMS will typically shoot easy sub-moa and if it won't, they are, from what I hear, great with replacement. Second most important to me is the FCG, specifically the trigger. A great shooter can overcome a crappy trigger but a good trigger will make any shooter better. For triggers, it's JP all the way. Bolt and BC are important too. I prefer JP bolts and JP low mass carriers but those are expensive. Any BCG from a respectable manufacturer should serve you well. The actual upper receiver and lower receiver are the least important. All but the worst manufacturers will be fine. Beyond that you are paying for fit and finish, aesthetics and roll marks. A free float forearm is a must but the specifics of which one are totally up to you. The Clark Customs is on a lot of my uppers.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I agree with Wormy. ~snip.

Why do I even post? You just come along and say everything I didn't say and more.

Seriously I agree with 99% with DrJJ. We think a lot alike except I prefer different manufacturers. I really like my White Oak Armament 16" stainless steel barrel. A little expensive, but it is a great shooting barrel. It groups nice but I seem to have problems on long range stages. I know it's me and not the equipment. I also like my Giselle Super 3 Gun trigger. Expensive, but nice. A lot of people are hung up on JP triggers, and for good reason. They're awesome and the price is definitely right. Carbon fiber handguards are great too. However I went with the Troy TRX Extreme for the rail on top. Its heavier than CF handguards but mine has been solid as a rock. Some have had trouble with the tightening screws stripping out (from over tightening would be my guess, but of coarse they deny it and blame Troy) but from what I've heard Troy always makes it right with a replacement rail pretty fast. And Troy just came out with a new locking system or barrel nut for those rails, I forget which or maybe it was both. BCG is semi important. As long as its from a quality manufacturer, (JP, DD, BCM, ect), it will be properly MP tested and all that jazz with a good staking on the gas key. A decent carrier with a good bolt is good too. I would go with a lo pro gas block, not adjustable but that's just me. Troy and LaRue make some good ones, as does others. Gas system is up for debate but definitely go mid with 16-18" or rifle with 18"+. Just have to use your judgment on the gas system if you are for sure getting an 18".

It's all personal preference really and if you come out for a 3 gun match at USSA I will let you shoot mine and ask me all sorts of silly questions. I would let you at the OKC GC 3 gun match but since it's on Saturday's now I won't be going anymore. But I'm sure there will plenty of BS'ers there that would let you test drive their AR's.

Blah that was hard to type on a phone.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
For me, the barrel, BCG, and FCG are muy importante. And optic.
I'm interested in an AR also, but know almost nothing about them. This thread is helpful, but I need some education. I'd appreciate it if someone would post a primer on what all the acronyms mean. What the heck is a BCG or FCG?
Thanks in advance.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
BCG - bolt carrier group - bolt and carrier
FCG - fire control group - trigger and hammer and springs
CF - carbon fiber
CH - charging handle
Middy - midlength gas system
FH - flash hider
ND - negligent discharge
DQ - dairy queen - kidding - disqualified
SS - stainless steel (barrel usually)
MP - magnetic particle testing
BCM - bravo company manufacturing
DD - Daniel defense
JP - JP Enterprises
BM - bushmaster - bushy
BC - BCE - Battle Comp Enterprises
CM - sometimes used for chrome-moly barrel
CL - " " " chrome lined barrel
GB - gas block
Lo pro - low profile gas block
FA - sometime full auto, sometime forward assist

This might be a good sticky (?)
Actually probably not because there aren't that many

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Spikes, BCM, what's next? :)

Hey now now. At least I'm going up. You know what's next. JP CTR-02 presentation finish biatch! Then STI something or other. Then Benelli M2 w/ AI's full meal deal!!

AI - Accurate Iron - you're one stop shop for Glock, M&P, 1911, and Hi Point modifications!

Latest posts