French gun owners are surrendering their weapons in record numbers.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
While I respect what the French did for us years ago...

The way to make a Frenchman fight without regard for their life, is to simply take their white flag away from them.
That depends on which french. In WWII the french military command was the problem. Defense was planned around the Maginot line and I believe some of the leadership was quite willing to bargain with the Nazis. If your leaders surrender, what are the local troops to do. The Nazis also over ran Russian army groups. But Russia is a lot bigger and eventually orders against any surrendering were issued. Also Russian POWs were not treated very well. Stalin threw everything including the kitchen sink at the invaders.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
That depends on which french. In WWII the french military command was the problem. Defense was planned around the Maginot line and I believe some of the leadership was quite willing to bargain with the Nazis. If your leaders surrender, what are the local troops to do. The Nazis also over ran Russian army groups. But Russia is a lot bigger and eventually orders against any surrendering were issued. Also Russian POWs were not treated very well. Stalin threw everything including the kitchen sink at the invaders.
Maybe we need to be more Stalinesque?

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe we need to be more Stalinesque?
Certainly a lot less Bidenesque. Stalin made some very serious miscalculations by not believing his agents that an attack was coming. He was trying to do everything to prevent an incident. I believe he was afraid that the Nazis and west would both attack him together. Anyway with literally their bodies the Russians stopped the Nazis just before Moscow. Surrender was not an option since the ruling communists knew they would be the first to be killed. Gave them a good incentive not to give up. Belarus where the worst fighting took place may have lost a 1/3 of the population.
The Russians have been fighting the Germans since at least the 13th century. The Russians are Orthodox and the German Teutonic Knights were a Catholic order with a Papal mandate to launch a crusade against the baltic pagans and they had no problems attacking other christians while they were at it.
Russian depiction of German Crusaders in a propaganda movie Alexander Nevski

Alexander Nevsky (1938) - Massacre at Pskov [HD]

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I was thinking more in the Revolutionary War times.
The french and brits were engaged in a war and so eventually the french did aid us in the war. And french volunteers came here as officers to help lead our forces like General Lafayette.

Officers like the Comte de Rochambeau and the Comte de Grasse led the French land and sea forces that made possible Washington's victory at Yorktown in 1781. Frenchman Pierre Charles L'Enfant, who would go on to design Washington, DC, joined the Revolutionary forces in 1777.

Latest posts