FN SLP MK1 mods

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Anybody have one?
What modifications did you have done to it and by who? (lifter welded, ext choke, bolt handle, ect...)
I wanna see some pics of it!

MattM

Active Fanatic
My best shooting buddy has one.... it took awhile to run 3 dram #8 as the gun was pretty tight. Make sure you have the "light" piston in it, also the chokes run different (as far as we saw) meaning his modified was like my IC in my Benelli M2. They're nice guns though a bit heavy.... we've just done an extended choke on his and a side saddle from Mark Otto and its ready to roll.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Did you buy a MK1 wormy? I'm thinking of one for my 3 gun rig...

Its on its way. Hopefully be here tomorrow!!

My best shooting buddy has one.... it took awhile to run 3 dram #8 as the gun was pretty tight. Make sure you have the "light" piston in it, also the chokes run different (as far as we saw) meaning his modified was like my IC in my Benelli M2. They're nice guns though a bit heavy.... we've just done an extended choke on his and a side saddle from Mark Otto and its ready to roll.

My friend has one also and he welded the lifter. I figure I'll get the ext bolt handle and the ext choke. If my thumb gets ate up then I'll be getting the lifter welded for sure.

Chambers

actual GM
Your thumb WILL get ate up. They are pretty scary looking from the factory. I haven't see any of them fail yet, but keep in mind I've only seen about 200 rounds fired out of them.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I liked my Nova simply because of the lifter. I wish the FN had the same held-up lifter.

I'm pretty damn excited to get it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I liked my Nova simply because of the lifter. I wish the FN had the same held-up lifter.

I'm pretty damn excited to get it.
Are you getting a new one? Some tips.

1) Strip it per the instructions and clean it. Lube the heck out of it, they like to run wet, not unlike an AR.
2) Store it with the bolt locked back for a few days. Don't know if this actually does anything but it can't hurt.
3) 1st trip out run some slugs and buck through it right off the bat.

That's what I did to mine and it's never choked on the light wallyworld bulk pack loads yet.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Your thumb WILL get ate up. They are pretty scary looking from the factory. I haven't see any of them fail yet, but keep in mind I've only seen about 200 rounds fired out of them.
Have you seen it with the trigger group out? They are downright medieval!
I gotta get mine welded. I'm afraid to get to crazy loading it for this reason.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Got it today.

fae64938.jpg

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I took most of it apart and wiped off all the gunky crud they shipped it in. I didn't take the trigger group out, might do that before I shoot it.

It looks very similar to my (long gone) Mossberg 930 SPX, but looks is where it ends. The SLP MK1 is way way way higher quality. The one thing I didn't particularly like is the weakness of the magazine tube spring. I'm sure it will feed fine. The trigger feels sweeeet. It’s really curved and is super comfortable, I'm positive it will make me shoot faster (kidding). I did notice the weight also. It is heavier than my Nova, can't compare it to a Benelli M2/4 but I would almost bet the SLP MK1 is heavier. When I took it down, all the weight is in the barrel.

The rail on top kinda obscures my field of view, I saw one guy on Enos that hack fu'd the hell out of his and took the top rail off. Don't think I'll be doing that. It looks good but seems unnecessary to me. I tried to put my TA44SR-10 ACOG on it but that didn't work, a LaRue mount doesn't work with a weaver rail and the cheek weld turned into a chin weld. I kinda wish I hadn't sold my Burris FastFire, doubt I would use it but I'd like to give it a try anyways. I like the fiber optic front sight although with my Benelli Nova I always hit high, sometimes over the steal. I blamed it on the FO sight, hopefully this won't repeat.

Its taking some getting used to as far as the weak hand load goes. I do notice the loading area is way smaller than my Benelli Nova and I now have an appreciation for the Nova's lifter staying up while reloading. I've seen guys smooth the loading port up and have the lifter welded so the forks won't puncture the thumb; for now I'm going to leave it be, I promise I'll post pics if my thumb gets forked and you all can say 'told ya so'. I have abnormally large thumbs so maybe they won't be able to fit in there too far and get hung.

It came with IC and Mod chokes, I'll probably put Mod in it and won't look back. It also came with two gas pistons, Heavy and Light. Most everybody I've talked to says that once the light piston is broke in, it will run with light Wal-Mart stuff and reduced recoil slugs and buck just fine.

I like it. Hopefully a range report by this weekend.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
22" barrel. 8+1 capacity.

If I get it broke in by then (when is it) I will. That Pro-Am looks like a hell of a time.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I need some practice with my shotgun. I guess June was the last time I shot a shotgun. That's depressing.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I'm going to be in Kansas pheasant hunting that weekend. Guess I'll have to make the pro-am next month.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Don't wait to kill your thumb, it really hurts.

The tube won't fit 8 rounds of some brands of buckshot, I put a +1 extension on to get it to hold 8+1 of every 12 gauge ammo I can find.

You may have to replace the front sight if slugs hit waaaayyy high at 50 yards.

If the gun gets cranky and wont feed well there is probably a razor sharp point where the extractor groove is, you may have to polish that up.

All I can think of.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I shot about 75 birdshot of Remington, federal, and Winchester and no problems. This shotgun is freaking awesome.

I'm going to get the extended bolt handle and may trim the mag spring a little. And get the lifter welded

Latest posts