FN 5.7 as a EDC?

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always thought the 5.7 was a cool gun, but i was just curious as to whether they would make a decent carry gun or not. I'm not at a point in my life where I can own a gun just because its cool, it has to have a purpose. So, what do they experts say?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
The safety on the 5.7 seemed really weird it me. It was up above the trigger. Guess you don't have to use it but if you wanted to it would be awkward in a carry situation.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Google 5.7*28 terminal ballistics.

Be mindful that the military rounds vs the civilian offerings are much different in performance. While I'm sure the 5.7 is fun to shoot I think there are better choices in the traditional calibers.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
you have to remember this caliber is "mission specific" and a product of NATO/US DEPARTMENT of DEFENSE etc, etc., et al.

sounds like a good idea - for arming truck drivers, graves registration and other non- 11 series folks who could make contact with hostiles... but not a good idea for CCW type use.

IMHO... too light and too fast...and they pistol just doesnt do it for me.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
imo, stick with 40 or 45, there are plenty of options that are far more comfortable and concealable and have that illusive "stopping power", or however you want to classify it. While any bullet can kill you, I generally tend more towards the bigger and deeper penetrating, the FBI did a ballsitics study and it concluded that shot placement is more important than caliber (Duh), but more often the larger diameter induces a larger wound cavity and transfers more energy. Im fairly sure that study is on the forum somewhere, not sure where.

Latest posts